iphone 4 sound quality
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #241 of 332
I do hear hiss with the TripleFis and my now-departed UM2s on my iPhone, but it's at the same level (if not lower) of the Clip+.

Quote:
Do you guys have faulty iphone4s? Because every IEM i tried with it (including my ES3X and CK100) I can barely hear any hiss at all even without music playing.

Quote:
Quote:
The iPhone 4 sounds truly horrible in most cases - the top end is "tizzy" and there's almost no useful bass end.  There is quite a lot of white noise when not playing anything (it's actually really noisy!).  In common with EVERY Apple product I've tried (and reviewed), it promises a lot, costs a lot, but delivers very little and very poorly.  Get a Galaxy S - it's better in EVERY way!

Quote:
I've had the iPhone 4 for a week now and I've been noticing that there is a loud hissing sound coming out of the headphone jack. The noise floor is also extremely high with this phone (I suspect its picking up radio interference from the antenna). My 3G was dead quiet compared to the 4 when it was plugged into the car. In fact, I'm thinking of getting rid of this thing. It drops calls when you hold it the wrong way, randomly kicks calls into Facetime or speakerphone, and hisses.

I agree with the noise out of the jack. Using IE7s here. Much much noisier than my Clip+. However it does have pretty good soundstage and detail suprisingly

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #243 of 332

Quote:
I do hear hiss with the TripleFis and my now-departed UM2s on my iPhone, but it's at the same level (if not lower) of the Clip+.

Strange, my tripe-fi's are dead silent with my iPhone 4. I wonder if there was change made in different batches.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #244 of 332
I too hear a little bit of hiss with my Fidelity Custom Triples (similar but cheaper than the ES3X) and the iPhone 4 hp out. But it is *little*

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #245 of 332
I will soon have access to both an iPhone 3GS and a 4. I will do a clear test just out of curiosity with the two devices to see if there really is a difference in sound.

Headphones used will be Klipsch S4, Shure SRH 840, and Sennheiser HD650. All unamped straight through the phones at a constant relative volume using constant songs.

Lets see if there really is a big difference. The only thing that might affect the test is that my iPhone 3GS has been used for countless hours while the 4 will be very new (for you burn in believers)

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #246 of 332
Throw EQu on the iPhone 4 and the SQ is equal to a Rockboxed player - 'nuff said!!!

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #247 of 332
I find that iphone 4 straight out to my ES5 one of the best setups I have. And that is among some setups you see from my signature block.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #248 of 332
^ That is not bad at all. The iPhone 4 is for sure the best portable player I have heard - together with the iPad which is not bad either.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #251 of 332
most likely just ear sensitivity. Some people just don't hear hiss and some (myself included), hear it from everything.

Quote:
Strange, my tripe-fi's are dead silent with my iPhone 4. I wonder if there was change made in different batches.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #253 of 332

Quote:
most likely just ear sensitivity. Some people just don't hear hiss and some (myself included), hear it from everything.

Hah. Wouldn't life be easier if we didn't hear hiss? It's a nice thought, being able to be less discriminating in choosing players. Anyway, when I tried the iphone 4 I thought the SQ was quite impressive. Now, nearly every decent modern source is decent these days, but relative to my clip I noticed there was slightly better stereo separation. Now that there's a good EQ for the iphone, it's a very impressive source. After the cowon J3 and its BBE, the iphone is one of the best.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #255 of 332
Perhaps it does, if it doesn't have a flat FR and you like its colouration. Or maybe it's just another case of someone imagining things again, certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back