iphone 4 sound quality
Sep 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #181 of 332
Nice impressions for posting from the phone, the SQ sounds great for someone like me that never messes with EQ anyways 
regular_smile .gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #182 of 332
Coming from ES3X + Sony X, I actually now prefer the iphone4 over sony.

I've always thought ES3X sounded a bit too warm with sony, but with iphone4 its perfect. The first thing i noticed switching from sony to iphone4 is the leaner lower end, and the slightly sparklier trebles. The mids are slightly more behind than sony though.

One thing i'm really surprised with the iphone is how there seems to be more air in between the instruments, so the sound is more transparent.

Although this is not news to everyone, but I thought I'd like to mention that Iphone4 has very minimal hiss, which is VERY helpful when listening to classical. Sony sometimes drives me nuts in this regard.. :p

Anyway overall I'm very pleased with the sound quality of iPhone4 (i don't use EQ btw), and it matches perfectly with my ES3X! Not to mention, i no longer need to bring another device when i'm on the go.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #184 of 332
Just got my iPhone 4 last week... Finally got the time to try out the iPhone 4 sound quality with my MTPC. just a quick listen though the sous quality of iPhone 4 is way better than Itouch sound quality. It actually sounded more full and the soundstage became a lot more three dimensional. The clarity it gives is great too and the highs is not piercing at all, this I found has been a problem for both my touch and nano.

Now I am happy that I did not get the sflo a couple months ago as it won't be put into good use. Now I will have to look for a great sounding earphone with mic and than I can maximize the use of my iPhone 4
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #185 of 332
I just signed up to head-fi to post on this thread! I bought an iPhone today and I though I'd post my initial impressions of the iPhone 4's sound quality compared to an iPod Classic 120gb.
I am testing with a pair of Grado SR325i's with 320kbps AAC files. 
Immediately I was impressed with the iPhone 4's sound over the Classic. The soundstage was much clearer and three dimensional as JeFFz has mentioned. I also get better separation and the high mid's on the classic seem muddier and unseparated in comparison. The low end also seems to extend further and be much fuller. Comparisons were made listening to Behind the Buried and Me's Colours and Beck's Sea Change.
Anyway thats my little bit. I didn't expect to hear much of a difference and while it is subtle it's definately there and I'm really liking it. I'm waiting on a pair of Head Direct RE0's which I'm looking forward to taking out and about with me with the iPhone.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #186 of 332

Is the IPhone 4 sound Q better than that of ITouch 4???????????

Quote:
Just got my iPhone 4 last week... Finally got the time to try out the iPhone 4 sound quality with my MTPC. just a quick listen though the sous quality of iPhone 4 is way better than Itouch sound quality. It actually sounded more full and the soundstage became a lot more three dimensional. The clarity it gives is great too and the highs is not piercing at all, this I found has been a problem for both my touch and nano.

Now I am happy that I did not get the sflo a couple months ago as it won't be put into good use. Now I will have to look for a great sounding earphone with mic and than I can maximize the use of my iPhone 4
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="1" />

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #188 of 332
Last night I was listening to some music on my new Iphone 4 using my SE530s and was blown away with its sound quality compared to my 3 year old 160Gb iPod Classic.  The music had depth and impact through the new iPhone.  There was a 3 dimensional quality to the music that has been lacking from the Apple devices I've owned since the 80Gb 5.5Gs.  Doing a quick A/B comparison between the Iphone 4 and Classic, the new iPhone 4 has a somewhat more extended high frequency range, and a better noise floor.  The iPod 6G classic was already a great improvement in the hiss department from the 5.5G iPod with sensitive IEMs, so the new dead silence is outstanding.  And now that the 3D imaging/ambiance is back . . . I got goose bumps.  If the phone only had 240GB storage!

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #191 of 332
Wow! I am impressed with the sound from the iPhone 4 line out. I got the iPhone a few days ago and I have to say that it was MUCH better than I expected compared to my old iPod 80Gb Classic 5G. iPhone 4 --> iQube --> SR325i sounds great. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #192 of 332
Quote:
Wow! I am impressed with the sound from the iPhone 4 line out. I got the iPhone a few days ago and I have to say that it was MUCH better than I expected compared to my old iPod 80Gb Classic 5G. iPhone 4 --> iQube --> SR325i sounds great. 

Good feedback.

I know that Apple are renaming these things but to be sure that we know to what you refer, is your comparison to the iPod Video 5.5G (80GB)?

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #193 of 332

Yes that is correct. I think they do call it iPod Video 5.5G (80GB). In comparison the iPod 80Gb sounds like it has a thin veil over the music. The iPhone 4 is more open sounding, the highs are clearer and the bass is more tight. The iPhone 4's output through the lineout is also higher and I have to turn down the iQube a bit in order to reach the same volume as the iPod 80Gb. The iPhone 4 seems to open a bigger window into the music in this setup --> iQube --> SR325i.

Quote:
Good feedback.

I know that Apple are renaming these things but to be sure that we know to what you refer, is your comparison to the iPod Video 5.5G (80GB)?

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #194 of 332
Quote:
Yes that is correct. I think they do call it iPod Video 5.5G (80GB). In comparison the iPod 80Gb sounds like it has a thin veil over the music. The iPhone 4 is more open sounding, the highs are clearer and the bass is more tight. The iPhone 4's output through the lineout is also higher and I have to turn down the iQube a bit in order to reach the same volume as the iPod 80Gb. The iPhone 4 seems to open a bigger window into the music in this setup --> iQube --> SR325i.

Thanks. I believe that the veill on the 5.5G is all the infamous crap in the signal path - hence the success of the iMod. (Sttill we are also talking different DAC chips here.)

How would you compare the mids?

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #195 of 332
Several weeks with my iPhone now, and I personally consider it a very good player, especially among phones. A lot more convenient to have phone/player all in one device, one less device for me to carry around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back