iPhone 3GS LOD volume equivalent?
Jan 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sumitagarwal

Head-Fier
I'm considering purchasing an LOD (probably Sendstation) for my iPhone 3GS. Can anyone tell me what the LOD volume level is like, especially as compared to the iPhone's headphone output?

Currently when I use my Triple.Fi's I run my iPhone at around 3 clicks above 0 volume. Would I get similar volume levels by plugging my Triple.Fi's directly into an LOD?

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 9
0.001% approx. You can't listen to music from an LOD because (1) It's typically a male 3.5mm plug, same as on the end of your earphones and (2) The amplitude of the signal is far too low. The purpose of an LOD is to connect to an external amp.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 9
The SendStation is female as it is intended to be used with a mini-mini or mini-rca cable so could be used with the headphones. I don't know what the line out output of a 3GS is but my original iMod had much too loud volume from the line out to be used with my ER4 so when going ultra portable I used a Shure volume attenuator.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 9
I have an 32G iphone 3gs and I use it as portable player since it has lots of memory. It works fine and with similar earphones seems to best my ipod classics.

However, when I plug in the lod to use it with an external amplifier or put in on the dock of my Wadia i-transport, the radio noises that cellphones pick up are an issue and putting it on airplane mode does not eliminate it. I have stopped trying to use other than than the earphone output.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 9
A LOD should bypass the internal volume control on your portable device. This means, at least with my 5.5g iPod, the volume with the LOD is the same as me turning my iPod on completely full volume.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 9
no it isnt the same, it will be loud, but not at all well driven

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't get it. If it's at equivalent to full volume after bypassing the amp. circuitry, isn't "amplifier" a bit of a misnomer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back