iPhone - 3G vs 3GS
Jul 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 19
I ultimately decided to skip the 3GS. It's faster, which would be nice, but it doesn't have any new functionality that I can't live without. Further, I'm still unhappy with AT&T. I've been a customer for years and they want to charge me $400 for a phone while new customers pay $200. That is screamingly unfair - you don't screw you loyal customers. The only reason I didn't break the contract and leave is because I want a functional iPhone. But when the iPhone goes to other carriers, I'll switch.

Anyhow, I didn't see any compelling reason to upgrade whe the 3G is working so well. I have no idea, but I suspect that next year's model might be entirely new. I'll stick it out until it shows up and upgrade then.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 19
Is the 400 because you are not due an upgrade yet. I am under the impression that with an upgrade I can get a 3g 8 gig for 99 and a 3gs 16 gig for 199. Am I wrong on this? Also, can I connect the iphone to everything (car stereo, home stereo, lod's, ect.) that I currently connect my ipods to?

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 19
The 3GS has a much faster processor and I believe twice the ram. I guess it's really only a must-have if you jailbreak your phone and like to use intensive apps. For example, coreplayer for the iphone will be released soon, and the better hardware will probably mean better playback of high resolution divx/xvid/mkv/mp4 video files.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After compairing the 2 on ATT's website, it looks like the 3G has twice the talk time as the 3GS but the 3GS is faster. From those of you in the know, is the 3GS worth the extra 100 bucks and why?

I updated to the 3G-S from the 1G and that upgrade was definitely worth it. I was initially going to skip it but my two year contract was virtually over, and then Apple/AT&T changed the upgrade rules so that I could get the subsidized price immediately. I think it stinks that AT&T requires their established loyal customers to pay the unsubsidized price. I don't know if it's true or not, but I have been told that Apple allows AT&T little profit on a subsidized iPhone, and that AT&T salespeople don't make the commission on an iPhone like they apparently do on other phones. I am loving the significant speed bump, the storage capacity (got the 32GB) and the feature upgrades of the 3G-S relative to my 1G (which I gave to my wife...). However, if I had a 3G my tendency would be to wait for the "3G-SX" or the "4G" or whatever. I would guess you'll be waiting until late next spring or early summer...

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 19
i have both 3G and 3GS. I love the fact the 3GS is soo much quicker :p and the screen is just awesome have that oily protection, very easy to clean which sold me... :p But then again i'll have to skip June 2010 version of the iPhone. I was on a 1 year plan for the 3G.

Sound quality wise... the 3G more focused on treble i felt, and less bass.. 3GS have more bass focus... and less treble... Both are running EQ on OFF, and 3.1.2 OS.

I think i prefer the 3GS sound more.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 19
I had a 3G for about 3.5 weeks, returned it because I felt it was really slow. calendar took ages to open. But I think there was something wrong with it. mac store thought it was slow too. Got the 3Gs and it is super fast.

I think a healthy 3G would be totally fine. Get a refurb if you can, way cheaper. I got my first 3G for 50 bucks.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 19
If the camera's important for you, that may be a consideration. Not in a "omg 2MP is inadequate" way, just in the sense of getting the best camera you can get on an iPhone at this point.

I'd be more than happy with getting a 3G now, and living with it for the next 2 years, except for the camera... but that's just hot air, I'm reluctantly waiting for the June 2010 iPhone as well, because I think major changes might be in the pipeline.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 19
If you don't have an iPhone and deciding between 3G or 3GS, go with 3GS, the extra speed and RAM is well worth the money IMHO (unless you're a "light" user).

If you already have 3G, I would just skip 3GS and wait for the 4th generation iPhone that is expected in ~8 months.

BTW, jailbreaking is awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a 3GS and compared to my housemates 3G its a LOT faster.

ive used the 3G for 1 year, and i thought it was pretty fast at the time the interface is very responsive.. then put on OS 3.0 and man was it sluggish... put on 3.1.2 and its ok but still slow compared to the 3GS. Cant believe now the 3G is soo slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back