iPhone 3G Ringtones?
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone here know to put custom ringtones on an iPhone? I just got an iPhone 3G, and have about 2,000 songs on it, and all I want is 15 seconds from one song for a ringtone, and instead for the time being I have to settle for a damn dog bark ringtone. Any help is greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif
- Jordan

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Heres how you can make free ringtones within iTunes (just did this on the newest v7.7)...

1: Go to "Preference" on iTunes then go to "Advanced">>"Importing" tab... Be sure to have "Import Using: AAC Encoder" and select a "Setting", the "256 kbps" setting works great... then click "OK"

2: Select any song you wish to make as a ringtone. Right click the song and go to "Get Info" then to "Options" tab and Select your "Start Time" and "Stop Time" to play that section of the song (the original file will not be touched) NOTE: must be 30 seconds or less or the ringtone will not show up on iTunes.

3: Once you selected the Start/Stop times, play it on iTunes to see if that's what you want. If satisfied right click the same song and select "Convert Selection to AAC", iTunes will then create a new file with only that portion of the song selected earlier. (A chime sound will be played)

4: Now right click the new cropped version of the song, then select "Show in Windows Explorer" (not sure what will be on OSX)
Now an explorer window will popup with the new cropped song you have just created. Now simply change the .m4a extension to .m4r (If you do not see the extension, go to "Organize" >> "Folder and Search Options" and un-check "Hide extensions for known file types" (Vista))

5. Now you have the song in .m4r extension, simply double click the file and iTunes will load it under "Ringtones"

NOTE: Be sure to un-check the start/stop time on the original file so it plays the full song next time it is played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back