iPhon3 3G IEMS (I know I know)
Jun 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for an IEM (if it's a headset that's a nice bonus but not a must).

Important features for me:

1) Isolation, I have a long train commute, so cutting out train noise and people talking is KEY.

2) Relatively neutral sound

3) $100 or less preferable.

Currently I have a Shure e3C, but they are rough shape after much use. But something along those lines would be great.

Scott - been a while since I have posted in non-music forum so I have't kept up with the IEM market, so much has changed.

EDIT - Also going to be running unamped

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 18
Monster is out for me, just based on their lousy business practices. But which of the others has the bes isolation.

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Etymotics HF2. A little over your stated budget but great Sound and isolation with mic and control button build in

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New apple in ear, monster turbine, PFE, N7m,Deonon C351, Metro 200v

X2 on those choices (minus Monster, based on your post). Easy on the wallet. My favorite of the three is the Apple in-ear, which is $35 on ebay from onedollar28. I've picked up 5 pair of these phones for me, friends and family. They all like the phones just fine.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 18
I have heard lots of good on the Apple in-ear, how are they isolationwise?

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotics HF2. A little over your stated budget but great Sound and isolation with mic and control button build in

How do these compare to the ER4p, I had those once upon a time. I still miss them.

Scott

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 18
uhhmm.... Sennheiser makes one thats like the fastest selling accessory for Apples I products. I believe its in both black and white versions - look at the Apple store or around on the net... They are little under 100USD with mic and all...
I've heard them and use them with the Iphones I test with and many say they are loads better than Apples own but I can't ethically comment on that since I'm too good friends with the guys at SennCom who made them
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 18
Why not use the search button? I mean.. it's conveniently located, will have MANY threads similar to this one with the exact same demands.. Why not use it?
I always thought it was there for a reason! But hey, I must be insane!
Next time I need something I'll just post a new thread for something that's already been discussed like a thousand times.. Yes we can!

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not use the search button? I mean.. it's conveniently located, will have MANY threads similar to this one with the exact same demands.. Why not use it?
I always thought it was there for a reason! But hey, I must be insane!
Next time I need something I'll just post a new thread for something that's already been discussed like a thousand times.. Yes we can!

It must be hard to be a perfect human being. Thanks

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare to the ER4p, I had those once upon a time. I still miss them.

Scott

Straight out of the iPhone headphone-out with 320kb aac files I am hard pushed to hear a difference between the 2. With better source/amplification the ER4-P is probably slightly more refined (and with a lot better frontend it is much better) but the ergonomics of the HF2/HF5 (the same as HF2 just minus mic and control button) is much better than the ER4 and the cable is less microphonic.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Straight out of the iPhone headphone-out with 320kb aac files I am hard pushed to hear a difference between the 2. With better source/amplification the ER4-P is probably slightly more refined (and with a lot better frontend it is much better) but the ergonomics of the HF2/HF5 (the same as HF2 just minus mic and control button) is much better than the ER4 and the cable is less microphonic.

Hmmm I really may need to check that out then. Does it use the same tips the ER4's do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back