IPAD with Udac
May 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

torcik

New Head-Fier

Finally got the camera connector kit for my Ipad. Connected my nuforce UDAC via USB connector and voila it works. The ipad powers the Udac and boy does it sound sweet

May 10, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 43
SWEET! And at the price of the uDac, it's hard to resist.

May 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 43
This is very interesting. I will be interested to see if others have success with this setup too. I wasn't planning on getting an iPad but that may have changed with your post!

May 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 43
I have no idea if the UDAC bypasses the IPADs internal DAC, I doubt it, but makes a great headphone amp that uses the Ipad as a power source.The Ipad volume contoller is disabled. I am no apple fanboy, but the IPAD has exceeded my expectations.  I use it to surf the web. Pay the extra money to get 3G, for when you are not of range of WiFi. Second, I use it as a book reader. The kindle app is pretty good. Last, I use it as a music player. 

Cheers

May 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
I have no idea if the UDAC bypasses the IPADs internal DAC, I doubt it, but makes a great headphone amp that uses the Ipad as a power source.The Ipad volume contoller is disabled. I am no apple fanboy, but the IPAD has exceeded my expectations.  I use it to surf the web. Pay the extra money to get 3G, for when you are not of range of WiFi. Second, I use it as a book reader. The kindle app is pretty good. Last, I use it as a music player. 

Cheers

It would bypass the DAC in the iPad, because the usb cable wouldn't be set up to carry analog audio. It must be digital for the uDac to work with it. A surprising feature none the less.

May 11, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 43
Can anyone confirm that this truly carrying a digital signal, not an analog signal. If so, this huge! Thanks

May 13, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 43
guys, this is USB here. it IS digital out, not only can USB NOT carry analogue audio, but the udac doesnt have analogue in. it will work for pretty much any other usb dac that uses the standard usb codec. it will not work with other amps or any amp, only dacs and dac amps with usb input. I wonder if one could also connect one of the new usb 2.0 high rez dacs that dont rely on proprietary drivers, instead using a new protocol that is built into the usb 2.0 spec. certainly does make me want an ipad. I was sitting on the fence before, but this is pretty ground breaking stuff. though I think we will find that the upcoming iphone 4g will do it too, very cool :cool:

May 13, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 43

Quote:
it will not work with other amps or any amp, only dacs and dac amps with usb input

the uDAC can be used as a transport with its digital coaxial out...
ka ching 
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 43
One of the main reasons I bought an iPad is to use an external DAC. I just hope that someone will come up with a modified camera attachment that doesn't stick out so much. I read that it only works with 16bit DACs but that's okay for me. Now if I only could get my hands on a camera connection kit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back