iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Apr 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #31 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those interested, I picked up an iPad camera connection kit tonight. Plugged in the USB dongle, plugged USB cable into that, mini USB end into the predator, and fired up the iPod app.

It works. Very cool-- digital output from the iPad!

beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #32 of 454
Quote:

For those interested, I picked up an iPad camera connection kit tonight. Plugged in the USB dongle, plugged USB cable into that, mini USB end into the predator, and fired up the iPod app.

It works. Very cool-- digital output from the iPad!

Great!

If you have an iPhone or an iPod, could you carry out some tests with the iPad camera connection kit and the Predator?
Thanks!

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #33 of 454
How does the software differ between the 3GS and the iPod Touch? I have access to a third gen iPod Touch I could test it on (possibly tomorrow). My thinking is that more than anything it's software support / a driver for USB audio that makes the difference (unless there are differences in the pin configuration of each dock connector).

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #34 of 454
ipad now has my name on it, now if only someone would release an accessible 24/96 USB chipset. there are a few from via etc, but they seem to be fairly proprietary

time to go wait in line for ipad

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #36 of 454
Quote:

How does the software differ between the 3GS and the iPod Touch? I have access to a third gen iPod Touch I could test it on (possibly tomorrow). My thinking is that more than anything it's software support / a driver for USB audio that makes the difference (unless there are differences in the pin configuration of each dock connector).

I don't think 3GS/Touch supported USB keyboard or drives, so it could be an iPad thing. Try it though.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #37 of 454
Quote:

How does the software differ between the 3GS and the iPod Touch? I have access to a third gen iPod Touch I could test it on (possibly tomorrow).

Thanks!

Quote:

My thinking is that more than anything it's software support / a driver for USB audio that makes the difference (unless there are differences in the pin configuration of each dock connector).

The issue should be the authentication data of the iPad camera connector dock's Apple authentication chip, which tells the iPad / iPod / iPhone that it's okay to output raw digital audio to the external accessory device.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #38 of 454
indeed it will be driver/authentication related any issues, as we know the ipod line has had i2s output since the beginning, but it hasnt been accessible. finally they seem to have seen the light and realized that in this format it would be a lot harder to pirate music than it is to simple download or rip it.

also the issue of power to the usb dac is fairly easily circumvented with a USB isolator of some sort. some dacs already use their own power for the dac, only the receiver is powered by USB mostly, but this can be avoided as well. so all that will be needed is ipad/ipod->camera adapter (with external power)->dac/amp(or dac->amp)->headphones. this will be nessecary to avoid crap battery because obviouslyyou cant use those battery extenders at the same time as the dock is occupied. a couple of issues, but solvable. who would have thought camera kit>GR9 lol. but in the end it will probably save them money, but they just wont have the market to themselves

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 454
Assuming Wadia is able to get bit-perfect from the iPad, what would be the difference between the two solutions below, as far as SQ goes; i.e., Does the Camera adapter make a Wadia obsolete? Would the camera kit provide bit-perfect?

iPad->camera adapter->USB Isolator->Dac/Amp->headphones

iPad->WadiaTransport->Dac/Amp->headphones

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #40 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed it will be driver/authentication related

remember the software 4.0 is coming and also the new iphone may very well support the camera connection kit (it is gaining the upgraded iphoto style faces and events etc). If it truly has the rumoured 80gb storage, id say other DAP manufactures are in even more trouble and hi grade DAC/Amps will be flying off the shelves.

Then i have no doubt some intelligent company will create a lower profile "LOD" style connection kit as ALO appears to be doing. This is getting very exciting
atsmile.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 454
Great News.
i'll try it with my Devil dac cable.
If it's work with predator, it'll work with devil cable (same Usb power)
As soon i'll have ipad and Camera connector...

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #42 of 454
This is insane. If OS 4.0 on an iPhone really does support this, the next question is: who is going to release a superior DAC/Amp with a digital or discreet stepped volume control? Nothing yet. Headamp?... iBasso...?

Edit: What am i saying? there is the TTVJ Slim. Has anyone compared its DAC to the iPhone 3GS line out?

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #43 of 454
I was already going to get an iPad for work and for play... but this... this is crazy. I'm definitely going to spring for the 64 gb model now.

You know... I just realized something. Because I actually need it for work, the iPad might be the first piece of audio equipment I've been able to write off as a business expense on my taxes!

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #44 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noumenon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming Wadia is able to get bit-perfect from the iPad, what would be the difference between the two solutions below, as far as SQ goes; i.e., Does the Camera adapter make a Wadia obsolete? Would the camera kit provide bit-perfect?

iPad->camera adapter->USB Isolator->Dac/Amp->headphones

iPad->WadiaTransport->Dac/Amp->headphones

How does one achieve "bit-perfect"? As for the camera kit, I'm sure it's just facilitating data transfer. Whether it's bit perfect is again probably up to the software supporting the USB device receiving the signal, and perhaps that device itself.

Don't forget the Onkyo ND-S1 (which doesn't work with the iPad, apparently). Much less expensive than the Wadia, though I'm not sure whether it works with iPhones-- just iPods and iPod Touches.

I'm sure it'll be a matter of months before we see some iPad docks with "bit-perfect" digital out, if Apple has made it easier for the iPad.

Now if they'd just update the iPad's iPod app to allow streaming from a networked iTunes library....
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 454
I'm reading the Onkyo ND-S1 thread here and just noted that there's an option for "PC" -- as in, USB from PC to the Onkyo to get digital out. It'd be kinda clumsy (compared to just a new dock that was configured to do digital just by docking it), but you could use the "PC" input to get digital out of the iPad via the camera connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back