iPad iPhone bit-perfect DLNA/UPnP wi-fi streaming 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability
Jan 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #137 of 249
  I also haven't found an app which can play DSD or SACD.ISOs but that is of no concern to me. I play mostly flac in many varietys 24/88, 96, 176, 192. I hope they all play without up or down sampling.

As long as you use the Apple CCK to get the USB signal out from the iPad or iPhone, the 8Player app will output the signal without downsampling.  I have tested and used the 8Player, FLAC, Seagate Media and Onkyo HF Player via the CCK to both the Meridian Explorer and the iFi iDSD and the content gets played at the right frequency.   Both the Meridian Explorer and the iDSD have lights that confirm the frequency that they are receiving, which plays well up to 24/192.  The Onkyo HF Player does have an option to upsample in its setting, but I turn it off.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #138 of 249
  Is the battery user-replaceable when it is worn-out? What is the runtime on a full charge? So far it looks like a must-buy to me. I still wonder if IOS doesn't resample to 24/96. 

1.  I think it is user-replaceable, and the iFi does have multiple tiny screws around it, so it looks like it can be opened to perform this operation.  However, I have not been able to confirm on the iFi web site or any other place.

2.  The runtime varies depending on sampling rate and volume.  At high volumes and high sampling rates, it has lasted me 7 hours.  At lower volumes and lower sampling rates like 16/44.1, it has lasted me 11 hours.

3.  IOS will not downsample if you use the CCK.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #139 of 249

As long as you use the Apple CCK to get the USB signal out from the iPad or iPhone, the 8Player app will output the signal without downsampling.  I have tested and used the 8Player, FLAC, Seagate Media and Onkyo HF Player via the CCK to both the Meridian Explorer and the iFi iDSD and the content gets played at the right frequency.   Both the Meridian Explorer and the iDSD have lights that confirm the frequency that they are receiving, which plays well up to 24/192.  The Onkyo HF Player does have an option to upsample in its setting, but I turn it off.

How does the iDSD compare to the Meridian? Are you using apowered hub or batterypack for the Meridian?

Which of those apps can be used for streaming from a NAS? Will it be DLNA or LMS?

Hope to get an iDSD by the end of this week, when new stock arrivés.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #140 of 249
So, what is the way to go? What are the current standings?

Unraid server with LMS iPeng iPad3 CCK DAC/Amp will it be bit-perfect upto 24/192?

Unraid server with DLNA server 8player iPad3 CCK DAC/Amp same question.

Does iOS communicate over USB to know the maximum bitdepth/samplerate of the DAC?

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #141 of 249
  How does the iDSD compare to the Meridian? Are you using apowered hub or batterypack for the Meridian?

Which of those apps can be used for streaming from a NAS? Will it be DLNA or LMS?

Hope to get an iDSD by the end of this week, when new stock arrivés.

For the Meridian, I use a USB hub, powered via a battery pack.  Cumbersome compared to the iDSD setup.  I wrote about a compare on this other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-announced/45

The 8Player and Seagate Media stream from a NAS via DLNA.  The Seagate Media app is specifically for their Seagater Wireless Plus device.  The Onkyo HF Player for now only plays content stored on the iPad/iPhone.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #142 of 249
Will the Ipad mini retina (2nd gen.) work exactly the same as a Ipad3 or Ipad 4, or Ipad Air with iOS 7?

The Ipad mini 2 would have some advantages:

smaller while retaining a great screen.
A7 CPU (same as Ipad Air?)
lightning to CCK cable (less bulk compared to CCK om Ipad 3)

For me this would be the nicest portable solution. Even compared to Iphone 5s 32 GB, which is more expensive in Europe.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #143 of 249
  Will the Ipad mini retina (2nd gen.) work exactly the same as a Ipad3 or Ipad 4, or Ipad Air with iOS 7?

The Ipad mini 2 would have some advantages:

smaller while retaining a great screen.
A7 CPU (same as Ipad Air?)
lightning to CCK cable (less bulk compared to CCK om Ipad 3)

For me this would be the nicest portable solution. Even compared to Iphone 5s 32 GB, which is more expensive in Europe.

It should work with the iPad mini.  I don't have one, but it should work.
The greatest advantage from my perspective from a portability perspective is that the Lightning to CCK adapter is much more stable than the 30 pin CCK, meaning that it would not come out dislodged as easily.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #144 of 249

It should work with the iPad mini.  I don't have one, but it should work.
The greatest advantage from my perspective from a portability perspective is that the Lightning to CCK adapter is much more stable than the 30 pin CCK, meaning that it would not come out dislodged as easily.

I hope to upgrade to an Ipad Mini 2 soon. After first been busy with the many iterations of Android phones and tablets, iOS looks more promising to me.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #145 of 249
My thread is a bit obsolete now, since latest iOS 7 even iPhone can now play 24 bit-perfect like iPads using a CCK attached to a USC DAC device like the iFi iDSD.
I'll update the OT not very soon since it must be rearranged for iOS7, iPhones and iDSD or similar devices.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #146 of 249
  My thread is a bit obsolete now, since latest iOS 7 even iPhone can now play 24 bit-perfect like iPads using a CCK attached to a USC DAC device like the iFi iDSD.
I'll update the OT not very soon since it must be rearranged for iOS7, iPhones and iDSD or similar devices.

Can you send the link to the OT?

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #147 of 249
This thread at page 1
or
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-work

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #148 of 249
  This thread at page 1
or
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-work

Thank you!  This is awesome work - thanks for your dedication!

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #149 of 249
Got my iDSD today. Hooked ut up to my iPad Mini trough the Lightning USB Camera Adapter and it seems to work with iPeng/LMS upto 24/96.

24/192 is downsampled to 24/96. I only see a yellow light on the iDSD not cyan. Where? I don't know. Either LMS or iPeng or iOS.

Any hints anybody? Should I try DLNA with 8player. Or is there a way to avoid downsampling in LMS if it at all happens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back