iPad-Fi
Jul 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #316 of 623
I did a search on this thread and came up empty, but can anyone confirm that the Pico DAC (not DAC/amp) is able to draw enough current to run off the iPad + camera kit?

Thinking of going from Pico DAC/amp to Pico DAC and Pico Slim (may prefer the Slims over Picos amp).

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #317 of 623

Quote:
I did a search on this thread and came up empty, but can anyone confirm that the Pico DAC (not DAC/amp) is able to draw enough current to run off the iPad + camera kit?

Thinking of going from Pico DAC/amp to Pico DAC and Pico Slim (may prefer the Slims over Picos amp).

I listened to that exact set-up at CanJam, and it was good enough to convince me to buy an iPad immediately thereafter.  Too bad my Camera Kit is on back-order until September...

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #318 of 623
Thanks for the response Sky.

Those camera kits have at least dropped from +$100 on eBay. :wink:

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #322 of 623
I think that the wifi issue was just with certain non-Apple, dual band, routers.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #323 of 623
The wifi problem affected using the ipad with my my cable modem. I would have to turn wifi off then on again every once in a while to fix a freeze. The update seems to have fixed it.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #325 of 623
Hey all:

My camera kit arrived, and I connected the iPad to a USB DAC - and the DAC is seeing the input as active - but I am getting no sound - the sound is still coming out of the iPad speaker.  I cannot for the life of me find any setting to alter this.  Any hits/tips?

TIA!

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #326 of 623

Quote:
Hey all:

My camera kit arrived, and I connected the iPad to a USB DAC - and the DAC is seeing the input as active - but I am getting no sound - the sound is still coming out of the iPad speaker.  I cannot for the life of me find any setting to alter this.  Any hits/tips?

TIA!

There is a pretty thorough thread here that IIRC said that not all DACs are compatible:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483404/ipad-to-support-usb-audio-interfaces-via-camera-connection-kit

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #327 of 623
Yeah - looks like I have struck out twice.  The iQube V2 definitely won't work - the iPad reports an error, saying it wants too much power.  And the Yulong D100 doesn't seem to work either.  Rats.  I will have to hook my Music Hall back up and see if it will...

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #329 of 623

Quote:
You may want to try to reboot the iPad.  I have that happen on occasion with my uDac and a reboot seems to solve the problem.

Thank you for the suggestion!  Unfortunately that did not seem to help
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #330 of 623
The iPad-->Camera Connection Kit-->HM-801 (as USB DAC/amp)-->beyerdynamic T5p is an outstanding messenger-bag-totable rig.  A photo of this rig can be seen at the following link:

An Outstanding (not-so-portable) Portable Rig

(I'll be posting more about the HM-801 and the T5p, separately, in the next few days.)

Now this is a great rig to take to the coffee house, especially if you were going to mostly be using your iPad anyway.  I've been using the iPad in place of a laptop for some things lately, so this setup is (and sounds) fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back