iPad dedicated music server
Apr 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...when we go on vacation, we can take a giant selection of movies and music with us in minimal space.

Good idea; I never really considered taking my atv on vacation or business trips but its form factor lends to it.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both a netbook (toshiba nb205/311) and an ipad. The ipad is vastly superior at surfing the net.

I just can't imagine having to hold the iPad, aswell as type on it, and have a drink or something like that. It might be more robust, but I'd still stick with a full keyboard, and bigger screen.

Kudos on the setup though, even though I'm 'fighting' Mac, that sounds like a pretty easy and convenient setup, especially with the whole, ATV as a station, Airport Express as a transport, iPod Touch/iPad as a remote.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #34 of 50
Has anybody actually used the iPad to access an iTunes "shared library" yet?

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #36 of 50
Sweet; when that happens I will probably have to break down and get one, as well as a new dual-band Airport Extreme to go with it
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody actually used the iPad to access an iTunes "shared library" yet?

Just be patient, it could be available soon...I guess ^^

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 50
  • top up the budget a little and buy a MacBook: large hard disk, full keyboard, big screen, toslink digital output to connect with new and old DACs by cheap cable.
  • lower your budget and buy a netbook, preferably with largest availabe hard disk, use DAC with USB input .
  • in the latter case there is budget left to buy an Airport Extreme for wireless transfer of music to a DAC by toslink (not more expensive than e.g. USB to SPDIF converter).

For the moment I find it hard to justy an iPad:

• small onboard flash memory (max 64GB) is useless for larger music or video libararies, you really depend on WLAN (or mobile internet) access to external file servers
  • touch screen is clumsy for seriuos typing
  • would be nice for video watching when commuting, but transfer from home server to iPad flash memory by WLAN takes ages
  • video content only from iTunes store, or via third-party "grey" software for ripping DVDs (takes ages, too)
  • at one time the iPad's battery will be worn out, with difficult (aftermarket) or expensive replacement (refurbish by Apple)

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #40 of 50
Having read this thread, my setup seems like the perfect solution.

Office -> Macbook Pro - digital out - DAC - Amp

Sitting room -> Time Capsule - contains c.2000 albums in ALAC, this being the bulk, but not entirety of my music collection
                   -> Airport Express - digital out into Amp's integrated DAP

Kitchen -> Airport express - digital out - B&W Zepplin

With the above I use my iPhone as a remote and for browsing the web when sitting on the sofa etc. It would be nice to have an iPad too, but this would be overkill and I feel the money could be better spent else where. Either way, I have a home computer, a music server and effective remote for the system.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #42 of 50
As well as having the automatic backup function, it is a wireless hard drive, so provided your comp is always on (which mine is) it reads from that.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #44 of 50
best remote evaaarr I also use it to interface with my dac MCU for direct control of digital volume. use itunes remote and or VNC server for control via the cloud. in other words, I can have my favorite music playing in my house before I step through the door.

ipad (wifi only) via VNC->Mac G5 dual-> modified RME 9632 via AES, or OEM hiface board->ackodac sabre 9012 dac->pass mosfet D1 IV->DCB1 buffer or dual mono QRV08->KRK active monitors or JH13/woody D2000/HD600

so I just wake the mac up via wifi or my iphones 3g, check volume on the dac->choose transport->select playlist->press play->relax

best and most integrated remote ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back