iPad dedicated music server
Jan 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
I'll just say it: I think the iPad could make a sweet dedicated music server. Maybe not the version announced today. But an iPad with an aftermarket kickstand would be right at home next to my headphone rig.

If the iPad headphone jack doubles as a SPDIF line out, then it's ready made for pairing with a standalone DAC. Even if its not, it's only a matter of time before someone produces a LOD for it, assuming iPod LODs wouldn't work.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a Mac Mini to use as a music server, but a monitor and keyboard would be too much for my small footprint setup.

With a 64GB flash drive, we're talking -- what? -- room for 10,000 songs? Not bad. More memory would be better.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 50
For the price of the iPad 64gb ($699), I'd simply buy a Wadia iTransport ($379$) and an iTouch 64gb (360$). That combo will offer a much more flexible options. The iPad is almost a bigger version of the iTouch, especially audio. It's not a bad choice if you need a big screen though.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 50
I can build a cheap HTPC with 320gbs for less than $700. <_<

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 50
I think the ipad looks like a cool toy to mess around with, but I'm sure there are better options out there if you are using it just as a music server. You can get a lot more storage space than 64 gig for $700 going a different route.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 50
Get yourself an HP touchsmart.
A real computer with an ASIO capable spdif coax out that can rip your discs with its blu-ray / DVD and has a gorgeous huge multitouch screen.
You can also get a good piece of software like AlbumPlayer or Silverjuke and handle music over a local network.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 50
All valid points. I currently stream music stored on my Macs to my Airport Express, which passes it via toslink to my DAC Magic. Works pretty well, but this setup is subject to network dropouts.

There are definitely cheaper music server solutions to be had, but compact is a key attribute for me. My headphone rig is in the living room and takes up just two shelves of a corner bookcase. Tower, actually. An full-size HTPC is a non-starter. Small footprint is the operative term.

The Wadia would be a cheaper solution for me, given how many idle iPods I have lying around here. But still seems pretty pricey for a line-out device.

The iPad, on the other hand, not only offers a good user interface for finding and selecting music, it can also display photos and play videos.

Pricing is still pretty steep. I was thinking $499 for the 64GB, not $699. Price needs to come down and memory needs to go up, which will happen soon enough. I'm in no real hurry.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 50
What about an Apple TV and ipod touch as the remote. Can store 160gb locally on it if you are worried about dropouts. Can also stream from any computer running itunes on same wireless network.

The ipad seems like it would be kind of waste to just use as a music server. You would also need to figure out how to get a digital signal out of it. Might work with the Wadia with an adapter or the new Audio Technica ipod amp.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 50
Everyone keeps recommending a DIY or alternate solution. He cannot have anything that uses a separate screen/keyboard because it takes up too much space.

The best thing would be to have a music server elsewhere in the house/just the library from your desktop and utilize the Home Sharing function that came with itunes 9.0 (if it works with the iPad.) This is pretty much what I do with my laptop when I move around the house listening to music.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone keeps recommending a DIY or alternate solution. He cannot have anything that uses a separate screen/keyboard because it takes up too much space.

The best thing would be to have a music server elsewhere in the house/just the library from your desktop and utilize the Home Sharing function that came with itunes 9.0 (if it works with the iPad.) This is pretty much what I do with my laptop when I move around the house listening to music.

Agreed! Hopefully the GR9 Iphone/IPod transport under development will work with the iPad as well. I see the iPad as a platform that is just waiting to be tapped into via the APP community. Electronic musicians are gonna be all over this thing in time.

Do!

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about an Apple TV and ipod touch as the remote. Can store 160gb locally on it if you are worried about dropouts. Can also stream from any computer running itunes on same wireless network.

The ipad seems like it would be kind of waste to just use as a music server. You would also need to figure out how to get a digital signal out of it. Might work with the Wadia with an adapter or the new Audio Technica ipod amp.

Thats what I did small form factor and it works and a lot of music can fit on
the Apple Tv's 160gb as opposed 64gb iPad not to mention its cheap.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not use and app to put your desktop on your iPad? One heck of a remote if you ask me.

Do!

That's exactly what I've been thinking. The iPad would be killer for controlling an AppleTV or a Mac music server. I hope there will be some sort of app that supports this. I'd love to flip through albums on it and develop playlists.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 50
If they just beef up the Home Sharing service with iTunes 9 then it will be possible, so far the Home Sharing will sometimes not give album art or not even play some lossless songs. (But maybe that is just my wifi.)

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I've been thinking. The iPad would be killer for controlling an AppleTV or a Mac music server. I hope there will be some sort of app that supports this. I'd love to flip through albums on it and develop playlists.

There are several Apps that already exist for the iphone that do this but the screen is way too small. These apps should be much better on the iPad.

Do!

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 50
Too bad:

- no optical out

- no usb port

- no sd card slot or other direct memory expansion

Otherwise a perfect iTunes component
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back