iPad 3 anticipation
Apr 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #196 of 276
I actually don't use iCloud to do backups since you only get 5GB of storage. I'd rather use that for other things.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #197 of 276

Quote:
I thought you did a full factory restore before and it still don't work.

I did, but that was before this apparent correction that Apple made.  If true, Apple is silently telling people who call in to do this but not admitting any fault publicly.  We already know there is a fault since everyone who has a stock iPad is having this issue. Funny, how they seem to have paid off Consumer Reports to now say "Oops, we made a mistake, there was no problem, it runs great."  That's the first time I've ever seen Consumer Reports get intimidated.

Quote:
I actually don't use iCloud to do backups since you only get 5GB of storage. I'd rather use that for other things.

The 5GB is not what you think it is.  You will never ever fill up the 5GB of storage.  The 5GB is not for music, photos, or apps.  The apps are all stored in the cloud but only a map of what you've purchase is retained so that you can redownload them at any time.  The only thing that goes to the 5GB is your mail with the .me extension (an Apple mail account you have to set up, and can never change, so choose your name wisely), documents you've created in Pages or Keynotes, and your contacts.  That's it.  Maybe your operating system settings too.

That's why the 20, 50 and 100GB plans make no sense unless you happen to do create A LOT of documents in Pages or Keynote.

Then there's the iTunes Match service but that is entirely separate.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #198 of 276

Quote:
The 5GB is not what you think it is.  You will never ever fill up the 5GB of storage.  The 5GB is not for music, photos.  The apps are all stored in the cloud but only a map of what you've purchase is retained so that you can redownload them at any time.  The only thing that goes to the 5GB is your mail with the .me extension (an Apple mail account you have to set up, and can never change, so choose your name wisely), documents you've created in Pages or Keynotes, and your contacts.  That's it.  Maybe your operating system settings too.

Actually it does include your Camera roll, and the documents/videos you store in all your apps. If I don't turn those off 5GB isn't enough for me.

9JMe+

V85n+

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #199 of 276
I never noticed the Camera Roll before.  I know it stores some app data though.  I don't take many pictures though.

As far as the restore making a difference to the new iPad, it didn't do a darn thing and I had someone else try it, too.  I guess those two people were suffering from placebo.  There is no bug fix.  The iOS 5.1 (9B176) was the same before and after.  The iPad didn't cool down at all either, so I don't know what those two are thinking.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #200 of 276
According to ChangeWave Survey, "more than four-out-of-five new iPad owners (82%) say they are [size=1em]Very Satisfied [/size]with the device.  Another 16% say they're [size=1em]Somewhat Satisfied[/size]."   Also, 89 percent said the "heat issue" was not a problem and 7 percent said it wasn't much of a problem  0 percent said it was a "very big problem".

I am not too worried about Apple suffering from a massive number of returns.  The survey shows that a huge percentage of owners are satisfied with their new iPad.  

The fact that CR gave the iPad a high rating did not contradict their point about the warm iPad.  They said in their much quoted article that it was not "uncomfortable to hold".  They have since compared it to other tablets and found "a number of Android tablets subjected to the same tests reached comparably warm temperatures at their hottest spots. And none of the temperatures we measured represent a hazard." 

That doesn't mean 100 percent of users are happy and there won't be some returns, but that can be said about just about everything.  

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #201 of 276
A tablet that gets up to 116 degrees and pops up with an error message where it has to shut down and cool is not normal.  A tablet that won't stay fully charged at 85% - 100% brightness when plugged in is not normal.  Every Apple release has problems, and every single time Apple denies any problems for a good amount of time before they concede there were issues.  MacBooks have chargers with 4 times the power output that they use.  Why does the new iPad have a charger that only outputs 2.1 amps when the new iPad draws up to 5 amps?  Anyone could see the obvious problem here.  Apple can argue this until they're blue in the face but it's a defective product anyway you look at it.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #202 of 276

Quote:
A tablet that gets up to 116 degrees and pops up with an error message where it has to shut down and cool is not normal.  A tablet that won't stay fully charged at 85% - 100% brightness when plugged in is not normal.  Every Apple release has problems, and every single time Apple denies any problems for a good amount of time before they concede there were issues.  MacBooks have chargers with 4 times the power output that they use.  Why does the new iPad have a charger that only outputs 2.1 amps when the new iPad draws up to 5 amps?  Anyone could see the obvious problem here.  Apple can argue this until they're blue in the face but it's a defective product anyway you look at it.

Right. Let's just bash Apple. 

My iPad is charging currently @ 100% brightness. Have you purchased an iPad and experienced this yourself? 

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #203 of 276
Have you clicked on this thread and read it yourself?

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #204 of 276

Quote:
Have you clicked on this thread and read it yourself?

One or two people are having an issue? 

We just deployed over 200 of these devices at work. 3 came back with complaints and only 2 of those were legitimate complaints that Apple promptly replaced. 

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/26/debunkatron-no-the-ipad-is-not-destroying-its-own-battery/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/252504/not_so_hot_new_ipad_heat_levels_comparable_to_android_tablets.html

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #205 of 276
You asked if iPodPJ had purchased an iPad when it's very obvious from the rest of the thread that he has and returned 2 of them and still has an issue with the 3rd.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #207 of 276
On a side note. Does anyone know if there's a way to access audio files on some sort of storage device via the camera connection kit?

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #209 of 276

Quote:
On a side note. Does anyone know if there's a way to access audio files on some sort of storage device via the camera connection kit?

Jailbreak + iFile = Profit.

If you don't want to jailbreak then there's no way.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #210 of 276

Quote:
Right. Let's just bash Apple. 

My iPad is charging currently @ 100% brightness. Have you purchased an iPad and experienced this yourself? 

Sorry, I don't believe you.  I've been to several Apple Stores now and they've all had this problem, and is reported all over the Apple forums.  I myself am on my 3rd one.  Please, show me a video of the iPad at 100% brightness, auto brightness turned off, using one app, let's say "iMessage", plugged in with the Apple charger, with the PLUG icon showing -- not the charging icon --- the PLUG icon... which means it's fully charged and can charge no more.  This is how every, single iDevice operates because it has adequate power going to it from the charger.  But even the charging icon -- the lightning bolt -- will not stay at 100%.  If it did, there would already be videos online proving this.

Why don't I believe you?  Simple math.  The iPad 3 at full brightness draws twice as much power as the charger is capable of delivering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back