"Invasion" of chinese products on ebay (DAC, amp etc)
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

netsky3

100+ Head-Fier
Someone has bought something of this kind from china on eBay?
I've seen a lot of product of this kind recently, many headphones amp (tube or not) and many kinds of dacs.
Usually the products from china aren't of good quality but the low prices of these toys make me curious to try
smile_phones.gif

There's a lot of dacs and amps at low price
ph34r.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 59
I bought one of those 'noodle' kit dacs. Not really a kit in the usual DIY sense, but just completed boards ready to be paired with a transformer and powered.

Looks nice, but many of the board-level discrete components are the wrong value, and when someone pointed out that they'd neglected to connect the 96khz trigger on the controller part to the 96khz switch on the dac part, they responded by hard-wiring it to 96khz all the time.

Because it was easier to lift one leg of a chip and short it to it's neighbor than to lift it and run a jumper wire across 1 inch of circuit board.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 59
A lot of these ebay Chinese products have been reviewed here. With a few exceptions most are worth the money.

The above little amp is well received for the price. I own a HIFIDIY Aune DAC/AMP, it works very well. The DAC is about average but the AMP is a clone of the Slee Solo, and is pretty nice.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 59
Like anything else, there's good stuff and bad stuff. Granted there’s really cheap stuff is just... cheap, however as price goes up there's some interesting choices out there. In a sense there’s where a site such as Head-Fi comes into play since it's a premier source to filter out bad products.

I'll definitively be looking at the Chinese offerings when I save enough to buy my first tube amp (entry level).

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't we make a list of all the good/bad stuff or seller (especially with an good price/performance ratio) sells on ebay?
Can be useful to avoid useless purchases for who don't know all this items and their specs
atsmile.gif

sounds good

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 59
I was considering but the product seemed to have issues and while customer service appeared credible, it's a long way to send anything for repair. I'd rather spend extra and go with something close by. But that's me and YMMV, heckuva lot less expensive than collecting watches no matter which way I go.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 59
Both my HE-5 and my EF5 are from China.
wink.gif

Let's face it, a lot of manufacturers have their parts produced in China, India, Malaysia, etc. the only difference for a lot of this stuff is R&D and big name brands. Some of these smaller companies can do excellent R&D as seen from HiFiMan, Yuin and MHDT Labs to name a few.

But, there are a lot of bad apples out there with shady production and quality so thus Head-Fi was birthed unto the internets so we may congregate and discuss.

As we all know

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 59
The problem I have is that I haven's seen a single design from China that looks good. It's always very tacky and cheap looking. I want something classy!

I'd like to be wrong and if someone has an example of something that proves it, please share!

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem I have is that I haven's seen a single design from China that looks good. It's always very tacky and cheap looking. I want something classy!

I'd like to be wrong and if someone has an example of something that proves it, please share!

I like think the HE-5s do look quite nice and classy.

hifiman_he5_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back