Introduction to jazz
Jul 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mellows

100+ Head-Fier
I imagine there have been similar threads to this before, but I'm on my phone and can't really search.

I've just got proper speakers for the first time (B&W DM602.5) and in lieue of that I've decided to dabble in some different areas of music, namely jazz and classical. I'm sorted on the classical front.

Regarding jazz, I've quite enjoyed listening to Frank Sinatra and would like to know what else I should look into. I'll be looking into getting some more Sinatra music, but what else should I listen to as an 'introduction' into jazz; I think I'd be interested in purely instrumental stuff too.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 12
First albums to start with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
and John Coltrane - A Love Supreme.
Michael Brecker - Tales from the Hudson.
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Four excellent albums (the first two are two of the best albums of all time IMO).
From there I think its nice to go back to blues and classic jazz, to get an understanding of where we have come from.
From the saxophone/clarinet side of things, in ~~~chronological order take a listen to
Bud Freeman
Benny Goodman
Charlie Parker
Sonny Stitt
Cannonball Adderley
John Coltrane
Michael Brecker.

That more or less has you sorted for a long time with woodwind.
I'd keep listing stuff for trumpet and piano and genres as a whole, but I dont want to overwhelm you, and also want to give other people a chance to contribute.
wink.gif

edit: oh, check out Billie Holliday (should be right up your alley if you love sinatra), Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn too if you're into the vocals side of things.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ella and Sarah sound like women... not so into female vocals. :) But I will definitely be giving the others a go.

Youll change your mind, as soon as you go buy some Norah Jones
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youll change your mind, as soon as you go buy some Norah Jones
biggrin.gif

Yes, she is awesome.

Another great jazz vocalist is Madeline Peyroux.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I've just got proper speakers for the first time (B&W DM602.5) and in lieue of that I've decided to dabble in some different areas of music, namely jazz and classical. I'm sorted on the classical front.

Noticed you're in South Africa…ever thought about homegrown South African jazz by Abdullah Ibrahim aka Dollar Brand? He's an international star who's made some of the most gorgeous piano music in jazz history, both solo and with a trio…I'd start with Yarona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEzL...eature=related

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Great! I'll look into all of those.

Ella and Sarah sound like women... not so into female vocals. :) But I will definitely be giving the others a go.

I cant wait to see the look on your face when you give billie a listen
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant wait to see the look on your face when you give billie a listen
wink.gif

Oh I see... :p
Well I can't let it hold me back - I haven't listened to any jazz really so I may as well start sans reservations.

tru blu,
Awesome. I'll be sure to find that too. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back