Introduction to Audiophilia <$150 (unusual music tastes)
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dragnerok X

New Head-Fier
Hello world, and hello Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

As you can probably estimate, I'm both new to the these forums and the world of high-end audio equipment, but am looking to enter both with a bang through the replacement of my crumby and uncomfortable Sony MDR-V150 headphones for something of superior quality that would much better fit my unusual music preferences and not strain my head, of course. I am using unusual in a relative sense because, having just turned eighteen last month, you don't find many people listening to British Invasion, Blues-Rock, Piano-Rock or early rock and roll tracks at my age (I primarily listen to artists such as The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Buddy Holly, The Doors, The Guess Who, Elton John, Jerry Lee Lewis and Billy Joel if that gives you any better indication). As I plan on entering college this next year, my funds are somewhat limited at an absolute maximum of $150 USD, if you can work with that amount. I've also done a bit of research myself before this post, such as in these forums, through HeadRoom, and through Amazon and have found that I am open to any either open or closed can, although a little bit of isolation for blocking out my parents chatter while working on homework would be nice. I also am really hoping for a full-sized can, as I just can't stand the idea of having earbuds or in-ear headphones in for any extended period, and don't particularily care for the way my current Sonys push against my ears (they use an on-ear design). I may also use these cans for an occaisional game of Unreal Tournament, so decent game performance is also a plus. I currently do not own a headphone amp, and probably won't buy one for quite some time, so this pair should be able to run from moderately-powered sources without an amp, but I may add one in the future if it would benefit. Other extremely optional features include velour instead of pleather earpads and a left exiting, instead of a Y-style headphone cable but other than that, I am open to any suggestions you may have.

I'm considering...
* AKG K242 HD / K240 MKII
* Audio Technica ATH-AD700 / ATH-A700 / ATH-M50
* Sennheiser HD555
* Sony MDR-7506

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 23
There's nothing unusual about that music...

I'd recommend the AD700's. Incredibly large soundstage, energetic and up-front, sweet mids, fairly recessed bass though so if you're a fan of overpowering bass these are not your headphones.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...I assure you your tastes are quite the usual.

And yes, I'd recommend the AD700.

x2 on both counts.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 23
I'll throw in the XB700.. The dark horse in the sea of AD700 for under a 100. If you want a cheap can that focus' on vocals and midrange I'd get the vintage AKG 140. They are out of production, and typically go for 50-100. They came out in 73. Vintage AKGs rock..

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 23
unless you have a single room dorm i would be wary of getting a pair of open cans. I can tell you that I've been in more than a few situations where I had to whip off my HD555s and switch to my RX900s just so I could escape my roomates noisy behavior( and before i snapped his stringly little neck...). Especially in the first year when they stick you in the freshmen dorms with everyone making as much noise as they can just the sake of it.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll throw in the XB700.. The dark horse in the sea of AD700 for under a 100. If you want a cheap can that focus' on vocals and midrange I'd get the vintage AKG 140. They are out of production, and typically go for 50-100. They came out in 73. Vintage AKGs rock..

Without an amp they wouldn't be anywhere near the AD700.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 23
Well, others have mentioned the AD700, but I prefer its older closed variant, the A700. As you mentioned you'd like some isolation, that's definitely my suggestion for you.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 23
AD700's are indeed fantastic, unamped, for that price. Although you may also want to look at the JVC HAR-X700, dirt cheap ($35), decent sound isolation and fairly comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back