Introduction and Request of Assistance
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 121
Hey guys, thought I would give you an update.  

The Asgard 2 amp has really amazing, and as far as I'm concerned, a requirement for my HE-400's.  I don't see how people could keep these on the low impedance setting - they just come alive with some juice. I pretty much love all of my music on them.  It has pretty good base - even more would be OK with me, but I'm happy.  

I received my Mad Dogs today.  I had them plugged directly into my MacBook Pro today at work - and brought them home to play on my amp this evening.  I gotta say, they just made me miss my HE 400s.  They are much more comfortable - but, they're just kinda boring.  From what I've read, it may just not be exciting enough for me because I haven't developed my ear as of yet.  If I liked it, I was thinking upgrading to the alpha dogs, but at this point, I think I'm going to return them. 

The main problem I'm having is that I can't really crank them when my Wife is in the room - and I just like to crank them. :)

So, I'm still looking for some closed cans.  I would probably pay 600 for a great pair of them.  In fact, if I could get a close pair that sound as good or better than my HE 400s I'd just trade them in and have only one pair.  I'm not looking to have a bunch - just one pair that I use for everything.

I'm going to a meetup  this weekend near DC and am looking forward to listening to what everyone else has.

I guess my other thought would be to get some in-ear instead of over the ear.  Still have to do more research on that.   

Peace ya'll.  Thanks again for your advice.  I still need to rip some CDs to listen at the better quality - just been spotifying up until now.  Maybe I'll do a few before bed.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #32 of 121
  Hey guys, thought I would give you an update.  

The Asgard 2 amp has really amazing, and as far as I'm concerned, a requirement for my HE-400's.  I don't see how people could keep these on the low impedance setting - they just come alive with some juice. I pretty much love all of my music on them.  It has pretty good base - even more would be OK with me, but I'm happy.  

I received my Mad Dogs today.  I had them plugged directly into my MacBook Pro today at work - and brought them home to play on my amp this evening.  I gotta say, they just made me miss my HE 400s.  They are much more comfortable - but, they're just kinda boring.  From what I've read, it may just not be exciting enough for me because I haven't developed my ear as of yet.  If I liked it, I was thinking upgrading to the alpha dogs, but at this point, I think I'm going to return them. 

The main problem I'm having is that I can't really crank them when my Wife is in the room - and I just like to crank them. :)

So, I'm still looking for some closed cans.  I would probably pay 600 for a great pair of them.  In fact, if I could get a close pair that sound as good or better than my HE 400s I'd just trade them in and have only one pair.  I'm not looking to have a bunch - just one pair that I use for everything.

I'm going to a meetup  this weekend near DC and am looking forward to listening to what everyone else has.

I guess my other thought would be to get some in-ear instead of over the ear.  Still have to do more research on that.   

Peace ya'll.  Thanks again for your advice.  I still need to rip some CDs to listen at the better quality - just been spotifying up until now.  Maybe I'll do a few before bed.

This is what I would have expected concerning the HE-400 vs Mad Dog. The Alpha Dog is a significant step up from its predecessor, but bear in mind that it is said to have a more audiophile-oriented sound, which could be a good or bad thing in terms of excitement. There's no way of me telling you whether you would find it to be exciting enough compared to the HE-400. That's why it's nice to be able to compare different models yourself. If closed-back is a priority, the Alpha Dog is at least worth auditioning.

In this review, Mike Mercer states that "the Alpha Dogs got closer to the performance of the Audeze LCD-XC than I expected! I'm not calling them equals, but at $599 these headphones are nothing short of stunning. I'm sorry I have to bring price into it when it comes to performance, but I think it helps illustrate just how good these headphones are. They'd be a deal at eight hundred bucks."

The LCD-XC is a $1,799 closed-back headphone...so for about $1,200 cheaper, that's a decent deal, if they're that good. You just may have to wait a while to get your own pair of Alpha Dogs, since they are 3D printed.

I have only researched high-end in-ear monitors and don't know of low-end ones that come close to their performance.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #33 of 121

This is what I would have expected concerning the HE-400 vs Mad Dog. The Alpha Dog is a significant step up from its predecessor, but bear in mind that it is said to have a more audiophile-oriented sound, which could be a good or bad thing in terms of excitement. There's no way of me telling you whether you would find it to be exciting enough compared to the HE-400. That's why it's nice to be able to compare different models yourself. If closed-back is a priority, the Alpha Dog is at least worth auditioning.

In this review, Mike Mercer states that "the Alpha Dogs got closer to the performance of the Audeze LCD-XC than I expected! I'm not calling them equals, but at $599 these headphones are nothing short of stunning. I'm sorry I have to bring price into it when it comes to performance, but I think it helps illustrate just how good these headphones are. They'd be a deal at eight hundred bucks."

The LCD-XC is a $1,799 closed-back headphone...so for about $1,200 cheaper, that's a decent deal, if they're that good. You just may have to wait a while to get your own pair of Alpha Dogs, since they are 3D printed.

I have only researched high-end in-ear monitors and don't know of low-end ones that come close to their performance.

I think I'm going to keep listening to the Mad Dog's for a while more.  I've been listening for a few songs after a few hours on the HE 400s and and am really enjoying their clarity - and the base isn't bad - it's just different than the HE 400s.  I'll give them a week and see where I'm at.  One thing I read was that they were very easy to listen to - they don't cause fatigue.  I can see the 400s getting a little tiresome after a while - they're giving my ear a bit of a workout. Thanks again for your advice - I'm thinking if I keep these..in six months or a year I can upgrade to the Alpha's - that review was awful complimentary.  I'll see if anyone has them this weekend.  Plus, it'll be easer to do a 300 dollar upgrade that a 600 dollar purchase.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 121
  I think I'm going to keep listening to the Mad Dog's for a while more.  I've been listening for a few songs after a few hours on the HE 400s and and am really enjoying their clarity - and the base isn't bad - it's just different than the HE 400s.  I'll give them a week and see where I'm at.  One thing I read was that they were very easy to listen to - they don't cause fatigue.  I can see the 400s getting a little tiresome after a while - they're giving my ear a bit of a workout. Thanks again for your advice - I'm thinking if I keep these..in six months or a year I can upgrade to the Alpha's - that review was awful complimentary.  I'll see if anyone has them this weekend.  Plus, it'll be easer to do a 300 dollar upgrade that a 600 dollar purchase.  

No prob. Just so you know, it's bass, not base.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #36 of 121
I don't find my Mad Dogs boring in the slightest. Laid back? sure. But the mids are too engaging to ever be considered boring to me. I think they compliment the HE400 well and tend to prefer my Mad Dogs over my HE400. I don't think they sound much alike even though they are both planars.

Give the Mad Dog some time to grow on you. It's a headphone that you will appreciate the more you listen to it. Burn them in a bit. I find the sound opens up some and the bass tightens up.

Also, mine isolate really well. I can "crank" them and nobody around me hears them. How loud are you listening? lol

- Roy

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #37 of 121
  I don't find my Mad Dogs boring in the slightest. Laid back? sure. But the mids are too engaging to ever be considered boring to me. I think they compliment the HE400 well and tend to prefer my Mad Dogs over my HE400. I don't think they sound much alike even though they are both planars.

Give the Mad Dog some time to grow on you. It's a headphone that you will appreciate the more you listen to it. Burn them in a bit. I find the sound opens up some and the bass tightens up.

Also, mine isolate really well. I can "crank" them and nobody around me hears them. How loud are you listening? lol

- Roy

I think I'm just getting used to different sounds.  The 400s are just really big - and so that was my standard.  This reminds me of learning to drink wine or whiskey, or even good beer.  It takes a while to appreciate the less "gaudy" or overt stuff.  I'm actually listening to my Mad Dogs on my Android without an Amp right now (which i will soon rectify) and really enjoying them.  I think I'll end up keeping them until I am able to justify the upgrade to Alpha Dogs.  Thanks for your perspective - I tend towards rashness on these decisions at times.  And, it's the 400s that are bleeding - not the Mad Dogs.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #38 of 121

Can't believe I didn't remember to mention this phenomenon. I've experienced headphones and cables change significantly over time. Some may argue this is merely the brain's burn-in period, but I'm rather certain the electronics also change.

I think I'm just getting used to different sounds.  The 400s are just really big - and so that was my standard.  This reminds me of learning to drink wine or whiskey, or even good beer.  It takes a while to appreciate the less "gaudy" or overt stuff.  I'm actually listening to my Mad Dogs on my Android without an Amp right now (which i will soon rectify) and really enjoying them.  I think I'll end up keeping them until I am able to justify the upgrade to Alpha Dogs.  Thanks for your perspective - I tend towards rashness on these decisions at times.  And, it's the 400s that are bleeding - not the Mad Dogs.

Now I'm thinking about how I could never get into hard liquor. Fruity drinks are relaxing, but stuff like tequila just gives me a headache. For what it's worth, some prefer the Mad Dog over the Alpha Dog. There are various tweaks and upgrades available too.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #39 of 121
Well, if you're getting headaches - either you're doing it wrong (i.e., too much) or you're allergic.  I had to teach myself to drink Whiskey - now I drink it a few nights a week - in moderation of course.  Wine was the same way.  Beer, I'm actually allergic to.  I only drink it on occasion.

Also, I'm thinking of returning my HE-400s and getting the He 400i's when they come out.  They sound like they're quite an upgrade. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #40 of 121
  Well, if you're getting headaches - either you're doing it wrong (i.e., too much) or you're allergic.  I had to teach myself to drink Whiskey - now I drink it a few nights a week - in moderation of course.  Wine was the same way.  Beer, I'm actually allergic to.  I only drink it on occasion.

Also, I'm thinking of returning my HE-400s and getting the He 400i's when they come out.  They sound like they're quite an upgrade. 

Tequila gives me a headache immediately. I even tried getting drunk on it once or twice (and I don't drink much). I don't feel that it worked. It just made me sleepy.

I don't think I'm allergic to any of it. Beer (especially fruity-flavored ones) is easy for me to drink.

For just $100 more, it could be a worthy upgrade, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

It's interesting that the new HiFiMAN headbands look so much like the STAX SR-009.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #41 of 121

Tequila gives me a headache immediately. I even tried getting drunk on it once or twice (and I don't drink much). I don't feel that it worked. It just made me sleepy.

I don't think I'm allergic to any of it. Beer (especially fruity-flavored ones) is easy for me to drink.

For just $100 more, it could be a worthy upgrade, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

It's interesting that the new HiFiMAN headbands look so much like the STAX SR-009.

Dude YEA man, get the 400i, it's going to sound better with less power, but should still sound nice with some juice behind it. The Mad Dog also benifits from some Juice lol, nice use of that word

but yea, give the MD time to grow on you. It's bassier than you think. But if in a week you dont like it your more than welcome to try something else. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #42 of 121
  The Asgard 2 amp has really amazing, and as far as I'm concerned, a requirement for my HE-400's.  I don't see how people could keep these on the low impedance setting - they just come alive with some juice.

You've probably heard already (possibly from me) that HiFiMAN's flagship HE-6 headphone doesn't begin to reach its potential until you drive it with an exceptionally powerful amplifier. Many people use speaker amps with it!

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 121
This sure has been a fun little journey.  I've been listening to my Mad Dogs all day and really enjoying them, al though with just my MacBook Pro's amplifier.   And last night, i was listening to them on the Asgard 2 and I thought I was using my HE 400s for a second, the base was so nice.  So yeah, I've pretty much decided to keep them and get the HE 400i's.  

I'm actually going to Can Mania @ Capital Audio Fest (Near DC) tomorrow - and I guess MrSpeakers himself will be there.  I'm going to listen to the Alpha Dogs and the higher end Audeze and HiFiMan stuff.  Really looking forward to it!

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #44 of 121
  This sure has been a fun little journey.  I've been listening to my Mad Dogs all day and really enjoying them, al though with just my MacBook Pro's amplifier.   And last night, i was listening to them on the Asgard 2 and I thought I was using my HE 400s for a second, the base was so nice.  So yeah, I've pretty much decided to keep them and get the HE 400i's.  

I'm actually going to Can Mania @ Capital Audio Fest (Near DC) tomorrow - and I guess MrSpeakers himself will be there.  I'm going to listen to the Alpha Dogs and the higher end Audeze and HiFiMan stuff.  Really looking forward to it!

you lucky jerk lol, be sure to take lots of pictures ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back