Introducing the xDuoo TA-66 OTL Tube Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #106 of 114
Not sure, it's a group based out of Canada and they only recently started stocking the TA-66, and my guess is they are are still in the process of getting them in to ship out.

On the plus side I don't have to pay duty! I'm pretty used to either having to pay a ton to ship from out of country or seeing and insane markup on lots of different brands when buying more locally. It's better than it used to be at least.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #107 of 114
Not sure, it's a group based out of Canada and they only recently started stocking the TA-66, and my guess is they are are still in the process of getting them in to ship out.

On the plus side I don't have to pay duty! I'm pretty used to either having to pay a ton to ship from out of country or seeing and insane markup on lots of different brands when buying more locally. It's better than it used to be at least.
Ah…I ordered mine from HiFiCollege. They were basically the only place I saw that had it in-stock (pre-confirmed via chat), rather than merely taking preorders. I did have to wait for it to ship from Shenzhen/Hong Kong, but it still got here much sooner than waiting on another reseller to first get them in stock.

-Ed

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #108 of 114
Are there any devices like the iFi iematch I could use to make my Fostex th-610s (25ohm 98dB/mW) compatible with the TA-66?
60 Ohm is the lowest headphone impedance that Xduoo recommend.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #109 of 114
I made an interesting erroneous discovery today: if you erroneously plug your source into the Aux Out instead of the Aux In on the back, leaving nothing hooked up to Aux In, it still sends a signal to your headphones, but it will be at what is probably un-amplified, line-level, and furthermore, the volume control has no effect.

I discovered this today by mistake because I went to listen and found the sound slightly too loud for comfort and tried to turn it down, and nothing was happening, then turned it up, and again nothing happened, and that’s when I went to look at the back and discovered that I had accidentally reconnected the cables to the wrong set of connectors after disconnecting everything to move the amp.

-Ed

May 1, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #110 of 114
I actually bought aftermarket tubes for mine at the same time I ordered my TA-66, and I installed them immediately without listening to the stock ones since I had not heard great things in general about Chinese 6N5P tubes. For the preamp stage, I had great experiences with Voskhod Rocket tubes in the past with a tube preamp, and they make a 6N2P-EV, so I ordered one of them. The Chinese 6N5P power tube is compatible with Russian 6H13C or American 6AS7G, and in doing some research on these tubes, there’s a company called Atma-Sphere that builds over $100,000 tube speaker amps using 6AS7G tubes, so I bought the one they use in their MS3 amplifier, the SED winged-C 6AS7G.

-Ed
Have you tried stock tubes yet? I actually enjoy the stock tubes a lot, I wonder what differences would be between pre amp tubes stock vs vokshov

May 1, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #111 of 114
I would also like to know if the TA-66 sounds good with the stock tubes. It would be my first OTL and I didn't want to have to buy extra tubes right at the beginning. I will only use it with the HD800s, as many people say that this phone is even better with tube amps. I want to test it too. Does the TA-66 with the stock tubes already have a characteristic OTL sound and a good quality sound?

May 1, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #112 of 114
I would also like to know if the TA-66 sounds good with the stock tubes. It would be my first OTL and I didn't want to have to buy extra tubes right at the beginning. I will only use it with the HD800s, as many people say that this phone is even better with tube amps. I want to test it too. Does the TA-66 with the stock tubes already have a characteristic OTL sound and a good quality sound?
I am using the TA-66 with the OG HD800. Imo the HD800 sounds better paired with the xduoo running stock tubes than with my other OTL tube amp, the Feliks Audio Echo with upgraded tubes.The TA-66 has a more punchy, wetter/warmer sound than the Echo. I am using the Echo only with the HD650.
There are two things i don't like with the TA-66. It has a slight mecanical transformer hum and the stepped volum control feels stiff and klunky. It has only 24 steps, so can be hard to dial in the perfect volum level.
But for $250, the sound quality coming out of this Chinese OTL tube amplifier with the HD800 is very good imo.
No fatigue or sibllance even on female vocal pop music. It's fairly resolving, not muffled or veiled.
I changed the PC for a Wireworld Aurora and the 3A stock fuse with a HiFi-tuning supreme and have ordered some upgrade power and driver tubes. I really like the sound of this amp.

May 1, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #113 of 114
I'm really happy to know that the HD800 sounds better on the TA-66 than on the Echo. Even through the stock tubes.
At this price, I believe you really can't go wrong. It will probably be my next purchase.
The first step on this path of no return in the world of tubes.

May 2, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #114 of 114
I got the new tubes that I mentioned above. They did what I was hoping for.
The sound signature has not changed, which is good. Is it any warmer? Hmm, I think it's not. Softer, yes.

But it did correct the bass, and now it doesn't sound like clapping bass or distorted.
With stock tubes, some songs were very strange and unpleasant, while other songs or genres were just great.

Nothing is lost now; it's a bit corrected, and that's great.

I am so curious now what TA-66 will bring to the table.

What's also interesting is that when I got TA-26S, I thought it sounded so different from anything I had.
Not long after, I bought my first electrostatic headphones and amp, and what a surprise that was.
It was completely different sounding from the rest, dynamic or planar headphones that I have.

And then...I was thinking that if any of the combos that I have could relate to electrostatic,
it would be TA-26S, especially when listening to HD800S. It's not that class, not even close, but it's a similar-sounding profile.

And that is...something to think about, too :)

I still haven't tried listening to jazz or classical music with it, but I think it has the potential to be great.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back