Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow!
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #331 of 439
The laser beam may not have the same focus as the thermal cell from inside. You might get higher temps if you approach the thermal cell from below the laser beam (just point it few mm above the opamp).
However, 100C on the bottom of an opamp might be 125-150C inside, depending on its internal thermal resistance. If I see an opamp with >70C I usually check for oscillations; if no oscillation found, then I try to stick a heatsink (not sure you can do that for the SPARKOs).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #332 of 439
Can anyone please do a RMAA and ARTA tests with the HPA-3B? 1-2V RMS would be just fine, without load if you can't find a 20-30Ohms 1W resistor. Thank you!

I don't think I have RMAA or ARTA tests with my HPA-3B before the modding, so I'd like to compare the results.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #334 of 439
HPA-3B has gain adjust knob on the back with 3 positions: Low, Mid, High; check the datasheet for details. Given the very good sensitivity of the D7200 (Impedance 25 Ω Sensitivity 105 dB/mW Maximum power input 1.800 mW) I would say that the lowest gain should do just fine.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #336 of 439
Matrix amp/dac lacking dynamics, resolution, energy. With Muses02 Opamp things do not come out of their template, but with Burson V6 Vivid (Dual Opamp) Yes! everything in sound gets life! very convincing.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #337 of 439
Matrix amp/dac lacking dynamics, resolution, energy. With Muses02 Opamp things do not come out of their template, but with Burson V6 Vivid (Dual Opamp) Yes! everything in sound gets life! very convincing.

Which one are you referring to ? The 3B runs on 18V rails, I would think the 3U is the same.

The Muse02 and most of the popular opamps out there run on 15V. You're slowly cooking them if you run them on the 3B (maybe 3U too). Do check on the input rail values if you are running them on the 3U.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #338 of 439
Both me and loserica (like many head-fiers here) did replaced the two power regulators and lowered this way the voltage from 36V to 30V (+/-15V).

Both 3U & 3B are using, by default, +/-18V, which is simply too high voltage for the internal circuitry to handle; it's simply too much power and heat generated. In all of my previous tests the resistors from nearby the output stage where all smoking and trying to melt themselves (I'm speaking about 4.5W per channel while continuously testing with pure sinewaves, so please do't try that at home!). This is why I was forced to change the output resistors with more powerful once and also the voltage gain transistors (SMD ones) with TO-92 case.

Also, the voltage of the main two capacitors is almost identical with the voltage provided by the transformer and rectifier bridge, so lowering the voltage will increase lifespan of all internal components and provide the capability of swapping more opamps (+/-18V is just too much for some opamps).

Details about the above could be found in the pages from this thread.

P.S.: The tests with sinewaves at max. power I do with all my gear and this Matrix is the only one having issues when volume gets maxed out. With Burson's (PLAY, PLAYMATE and CV2+) I never had any issues, not even when connecting CV2+ directly on speakers instead of headphones. However, please don't try that at home! :) Again: lowering the voltage to HPA3U/3B is a good thing to do.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #339 of 439
After a few houndred hours of burn-in time Burson V6 Vivid (Dual Opamp) sounds airy!! The amount of detail and spatial information lets you hear the acoustics of the recording venue well. A coherent and organic presentation, detail and smoothness come hand-in-hand, a well controlled and focussed image, rich and transparent overtones, the amount of decay of notes and the acoustic reverb of the recording venue, rich textured treble, very good separation of the individual instruments, a quiet background, they are all there. The texture and timbre seems very realistic. The soundstage is produced with lots of contrast, great depth and heaps of micro detail. Long term listening sessions are very pleasent which shows that there is nothing artificial about the sound at all. You get a richer tone with more flow and air with the Burson comparing it with Muses02.

IMG_0431.JPG

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #340 of 439
Hi guys. I wrote to burson audio support: " Hey. I want to buy a pair of v6 vivid for the amplifier M-stage hpa-3b. Tell me whether they fit the specified amplifier or I will definitely need to lower the voltage. because it has Supply Voltage 18V. thank"

got an answer: "
Are you sure the power supply voltage is +/-18V or just what the transformer state?
Because +/-18V from the transformer will get lower to +/-15V after the voltage regulator in most design.
Warm regards
Dennis"

What does it mean? if not difficult, resolve the bewilderment.

May 29, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #341 of 439
The unmodified HPA-3B works on 18V rails, its the voltage regulators that are spec'd at 18V. Not 18V transformers.
You are correct.

As far as the Burson V6 goes, its not supposed to go above 16V.. Unless they revised the design, else its a slow fry plugged into the HPA-3B amp.

May 29, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #342 of 439
The unmodified HPA-3B works on 18V rails, its the voltage regulators that are spec'd at 18V. Not 18V transformers.
You are correct.

As far as the Burson V6 goes, its not supposed to go above 16V.. Unless they revised the design, else its a slow fry plugged into the HPA-3B amp.
Is there any detailed instruction for modification anywhere?

May 29, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #343 of 439
May 29, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #344 of 439
May 29, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #345 of 439
How to navigate when choosing an operational amplifier for the m-stage? what company to pay attention, except burson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back