Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Dec 6, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #241 of 342
According to people in the Reddit thread though, it works with any dual 3.5mm TRS 2pole terminated to 4.4mm. I mean, why shouldn't it? Both sides just bypass the internal wiring.
I wouldn't try this. If you look at the diagram Leonarfd posted, the sleeve of a TRS will short the L- and R-. It won't damage the headphones, but might damage the balanced source.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #242 of 342
I wouldn't try this. If you look at the diagram Leonarfd posted, the sleeve of a TRS will short the L- and R-. It won't damage the headphones, but might damage the balanced source.
why would it? as long as both sides are positive/blank/return it will act the same way as a single TRRS L+/R+/L-/R- unless the maker is dumb enough to short both returns together on the 4.4mm amp end it should work just fine.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #243 of 342
why would it? as long as both sides are positive/blank/return it will act the same way as a single TRRS L+/R+/L-/R- unless the maker is dumb enough to short both returns together on the 4.4mm amp end it should work just fine.
Not as I see it. The S on a TRS has the same length as the RS on a TRRS. The left socket is TRRS, so when a TRS is plugged into it, L- and R- will be connected inside the headphone. When a TRS is then plugged into the right socket, L- and R- on the 4.4 mm end will end up connected.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #244 of 342
It's up to you, it's a reason why Hifiman has put the schematics on the product page. It was not there at first, probably been a accident somewhere that made them put it up to have their back safe.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #245 of 342
Got the cable in, can confirm it works just fine with two single 3.5mm TRS to 4.4mm. So what's the verdict here?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #246 of 342
I said it worked on some amps, try and crank up the volume and see.

Got a warning from Hifiman to be sure not to use the cables that are made for Ananda, Arya and Sundara.

Just beware👍

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #247 of 342
I can't believe these are so slept on, got one from their ebay store for £230 including shipping and so far its done nothing but impress me.

I usually like neutral headphones but I wanted something fun for my lesser tastes in music on the side and yet I find myself reaching for them even for better recordings. The bass is so good, not ear killing slam like the th x00 but more well rounded and fuller, yet it doesn't appear where it isn't needed.

M83s Outro is a track that often gets messy on other 'fun' headphones but this is the most cohesive and euphoric I've ever heard it!

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #248 of 342
Hey guys, iam still loving my R9, got rid of the cable from the left to the right cup so I can use any balanced cable and it sound amazing from my Hiby R5 Gen2.

I do have one questions have you guys found a place to order the original pads? I love the pads but the plastic ring is not the same on the sundara/rest of the HE range vs r9.
Ofcourse I could destroy the original pads to get the rings but rather order original pads anyway. Anyone?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #249 of 342
Hey guys, iam still loving my R9, got rid of the cable from the left to the right cup so I can use any balanced cable and it sound amazing from my Hiby R5 Gen2.

I do have one questions have you guys found a place to order the original pads? I love the pads but the plastic ring is not the same on the sundara/rest of the HE range vs r9.
Ofcourse I could destroy the original pads to get the rings but rather order original pads anyway. Anyone?
Hi there, please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com and kindly tell us your location then we can check if we have these earpads in stock for you. :-D

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #250 of 342
I`ve had contact with Hifiman customer support... 39 dolla for the pads (thats ok) but 50 dollar sending + taxes wil bring everything to 140 dollar for two pads.... :astonished: so when the pads are gone i will buy some sundara pads and take the ring out of the old pads...

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #252 of 342
Which pads do you used?
Hmm, I think it was this here. Bought from different sellers and liked this the most.

Protein Leather is on mine, they seal better but your further away from the driver. Giving around the same amount of bass just more slam. Mids and treble is about the same, perhaps a little deeper soundstage.

For me the OG pads are not Comfortable and seal bad, hate headphones where your ears rest on the plastic protecting the driver .

NOK 94.07 36%OFF | EarTlogis New Arrival Replacement Ear Pads for Hifiman SUNDARA Headset Earmuff Cover Cushions Earpads
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNzeggQ

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #253 of 342
Hmm, I think it was this here. Bought from different sellers and liked this the most.

Protein Leather is on mine, they seal better but your further away from the driver. Giving around the same amount of bass just more slam. Mids and treble is about the same, perhaps a little deeper soundstage.

For me the OG pads are not Comfortable and seal bad, hate headphones where your ears rest on the plastic protecting the driver .

NOK 94.07 36%OFF | EarTlogis New Arrival Replacement Ear Pads for Hifiman SUNDARA Headset Earmuff Cover Cushions Earpads
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNzeggQ
Thanks, i`am going to order these since the price is good!

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #254 of 342

Users who are viewing this thread

Back