Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Jun 17, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #151 of 342
Are there any third party single ended cable readily available?

You have a few options. Your safest option is to use a single 3.5mm TRRS connector on the headphone end, regardless of whether you need balanced or single-ended on the amp end. You can get a balanced TRRS cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKMKPM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then adapt it to a single-ended amp with an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Headphone-Earphone-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B0828LSX54 for 6.3mm

or

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Headphone-Earphone-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B0828KKVZ8/ for 3.5mm.

You can also use Hart Audio Cables' system with HC-2 headphone cable:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs

and then get whatever interconnect type(s) work for you.

A friend on HiFiGuides Forum says that Apos Flow cables for HE-R9 or Deva Pro are a single 3.5mm TRRS on the headphone end, even though the pic on the page does not match that:

https://apos.audio/collections/apos...low-headphone-cable-for-hifiman-he-r9-r10-r10

Happy hunting!

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #152 of 342
You have a few options. Your safest option is to use a single 3.5mm TRRS connector on the headphone end, regardless of whether you need balanced or single-ended on the amp end. You can get a balanced TRRS cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKMKPM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then adapt it to a single-ended amp with an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Headphone-Earphone-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B0828LSX54 for 6.3mm

or

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Headphone-Earphone-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B0828KKVZ8/ for 3.5mm.

You can also use Hart Audio Cables' system with HC-2 headphone cable:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs

and then get whatever interconnect type(s) work for you.

A friend on HiFiGuides Forum says that Apos Flow cables for HE-R9 or Deva Pro are a single 3.5mm TRRS on the headphone end, even though the pic on the page does not match that:

https://apos.audio/collections/apos...low-headphone-cable-for-hifiman-he-r9-r10-r10

Happy hunting!
Thank you for the links. I'd have to go with the Apos as they are the only ones that provide a sufficient length of at least 3m. But very pricey! I'm on the fence about these headphones anyway Im not sure I wanna invest anymore in them. But Im still giving them a chance right now, I find them simular in tone to the M40x with brainwav pads. And they are much cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #153 of 342
Did anyone run into problems finding a replacement cable? I've tried 3 One with a TS connector (My usual) and one with a TRS connector, But the audio comes through unbalanced, The left is louder than the right. And using a XLR just makes it out of phase. In addition, my FIIO K9 pro crashes with these cable combinations. It sounds fine with the stock cable, however it's way to short for my set up.
If you have T60RP or T60 Argons, you can use the same cable.
If you are buying new, you need dual tips that have two rings around the posts and not one.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #154 of 342
I ordered the R9 for $369 a couple of days ago (still in transit). Would also like to have the Bluemini, but didn't want to pay $380 extra just for that option, so instead I ordered (and already received) an open box Deva Pro wireless for €299, basically just to get the bluetooth module.

I've been trying to understand the issues with aftermarket cables mentioned in this thread, and I finally realised it's actually pretty simple once you look at the pinout of the TRRS socket in the left cup. It's wired L+ R+ L- R- (as can be seen in a diagram on the official product page). The R+ and R- are connected to the right side driver with the thin cables running through the headband.

As @WaveTheory explained in his video, this means when you plug in dual entry TS connectors, the sleeve shorts R+ to Gnd, so no sound from the right. The same happens when you plug in dual entry TRS connectors which have the ring connected to the sleeve. That's why you would need to use cables wired like the stock one, with the ring disconnected.

So far nothing that hasn't been mentioned before, but what this also means, is that there is basically no need for the socket in the right side cup. When listening to an unbalanced source, you can simply run a single ended single entry TRS cable into the left socket.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #155 of 342
I ordered the R9 for $369 a couple of days ago (still in transit). Would also like to have the Bluemini, but didn't want to pay $380 extra just for that option, so instead I ordered (and already received) an open box Deva Pro wireless for €299, basically just to get the bluetooth module.

I've been trying to understand the issues with aftermarket cables mentioned in this thread, and I finally realised it's actually pretty simple once you look at the pinout of the TRRS socket in the left cup. It's wired L+ R+ L- R- (as can be seen in a diagram on the official product page). The R+ and R- are connected to the right side driver with the thin cables running through the headband.

As @WaveTheory explained in his video, this means when you plug in dual entry TS connectors, the sleeve shorts R+ to Gnd, so no sound from the right. The same happens when you plug in dual entry TRS connectors which have the ring connected to the sleeve. That's why you would need to use cables wired like the stock one, with the ring disconnected.

So far nothing that hasn't been mentioned before, but what this also means, is that there is basically no need for the socket in the right side cup. When listening to an unbalanced source, you can simply run a single ended single entry TRS cable into the left socket.
I just use my T60RP/Argon cable and I must say that it is awesome. It is great only having a cable on one side. Unfortunately my whole system is on my right side, but it is still cool.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #156 of 342
I just put these back on today. Man I love the sound! Using my iFi Pro iCAN with no bass boost and no 3D effects. Tube mode and low gain are all that is needed.
And wow do they work great with music from Two Feet. I am enjoying these a lot more than my previous set, which are my LSA HP-2's. They have a very clean sound, but the R9's give you a nice thumpy bass, which adds fun to a lot of stuff. And at literally half the price!
You never know when you will find that little gem that hits hard for the money.

I recently bought a set of used Grado Hemps. Nice sound, but pales next to my Grado GH2's and does not do anything markedly different from the GH2's. A little underwhelming.

I just ordered a set of iBasso SR2's and am very curious about what they bring to the table. I got them for $487.00US, shipped.

The never ending adventure goes on.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #157 of 342
I returned my R9 several days after I got it. I felt I was already getting a similar enough experience from my ATH-M40x with Brainwav pads plus I didn't like the cable situation.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #158 of 342
I returned my R9 several days after I got it. I felt I was already getting a similar enough experience from my ATH-M40x with Brainwav pads plus I didn't like the cable situation.
That really surprises me. I would never expect this kind of fun from those. I used to have the ATH-M50X's several years ago. My first step into the head-fi world. I actually found them pretty boring, but they did have some bass.

I was really impressed with these when first I got them. Then I left them alone for a week or two. I went back to them today and I am impressed all over again.

Lot of fun for not a lot of money. :L3000:

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #159 of 342
That really surprises me. I would never expect this kind of fun from those. I used to have the ATH-M50X's several years ago. My first step into the head-fi world. I actually found them pretty boring, but they did have some bass.

I was really impressed with these when first I got them. Then I left them alone for a week or two. I went back to them today and I am impressed all over again.

Lot of fun for not a lot of money. :L3000:
ATH-50x are too V shaped the mid bass is too bloated for my liking. I never understood how they can be sold as studio headphones. I think the ATH-M40X are more neutral sounding, warm with good bass without the uneven shape of the M50X. The brainwavs pads makes them very comfortable, and enhances the sound stage some. I found myself enjoying my music on them just as much as I did with the R9, so I didn't see the justification for spending $350 on those, plus another $150 for a decent balanced cable.
Another alternate recommendation would the Sivga SV021.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #160 of 342
ATH-50x are too V shaped the mid bass is too bloated for my liking. I never understood how they can be sold as studio headphones. I think the ATH-M40X are more neutral sounding, warm with good bass without the uneven shape of the M50X. The brainwavs pads makes them very comfortable, and enhances the sound stage some. I found myself enjoying my music on them just as much as I did with the R9, so I didn't see the justification for spending $350 on those, plus another $150 for a decent balanced cable.
Another alternate recommendation would the Sivga SV021.
From what I have read, the 21's wouldn't be for me.

Luckily I already had a cable for these in my T60 Argon cable.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #161 of 342
Here we go again: rolling the dice on another pair of Hifimans.
R9.png

The HE5XX pretty much floored me, so I'm expecting great things from this.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #162 of 342
Here we go again: rolling the dice on another pair of Hifimans.
R9.png

The HE5XX pretty much floored me, so I'm expecting great things from this.
As long as you really like bass. These do have an exaggerated bass. They are a ton of fun.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #163 of 342
Sounds like these are going to be right up my alley, then!

It's a shame the cable situation with these is such a mess. I doubt balanced would improve them at all, but I really like the cables I use with my other Hifimans.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #164 of 342
Don't have a set of T60 Argons sitting around do you? The single cable is awesome. I wish all my 'phones had a single cable.

Especially my Grado's. :smile:

Jul 26, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #165 of 342
DSC04085_01.jpg

They're kinda ugly, kinda pretty. First impressions are generally positive, but a major knock against them is they have basically no isolation. In fact, I think some outside sounds are amplified when wearing them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back