Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Jun 4, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #136 of 356
Just received the R9 w/ the JM mods. Like it best with tubes thus far.

He mentioned the same thing as WaveTheory did above about issues with non stock cables due to its compatbility. He was able to rewire the unit to accept standard dual 3.5mm.

I think it hoses your ability to use Bluetooth with it, but I have 0 desire to do that anyways..

I'm typing this right now, listening to it with the same hart audio cable I use with my he6 and susvara.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #137 of 356
Thank you. 36 USD Shipping to Germany :rolling_eyes: Probably I find something cheaper, but I think the final price with 74 USD would be ok.
Their stuff is affordable, but not cheap. I am up in Canada, so it definitely costs me extra. Worth it to me as I tend to collect 'phone's. Once you buy a couple of interconnects, the cables are pretty cheap.
But my shipping fee is only $15.00US.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #138 of 356
Just received the R9 w/ the JM mods. Like it best with tubes thus far.

He mentioned the same thing as WaveTheory did above about issues with non stock cables due to its compatbility. He was able to rewire the unit to accept standard dual 3.5mm.

I think it hoses your ability to use Bluetooth with it, but I have 0 desire to do that anyways..

I'm typing this right now, listening to it with the same hart audio cable I use with my he6 and susvara.

I have the Atom amp, but I would like to buy another amp for the r9. Which tube amp do you prefer for the r9?

What is JM mods?

Their stuff is affordable, but not cheap. I am up in Canada, so it definitely costs me extra. Worth it to me as I tend to collect 'phone's. Once you buy a couple of interconnects, the cables are pretty cheap.
But my shipping fee is only $15.00US.
The price is really ok, its only because of the high shipping cost. I think I will buy more than one cable at hart.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #139 of 356
I have the Atom amp, but I would like to buy another amp for the r9. Which tube amp do you prefer for the r9?

What is JM mods?

The price is really ok, its only because of the high shipping cost. I think I will buy more than one cable at hart.
I always try to bundle my buys. Last order I got a cable for my CFA Cascades and also picked up a 12" extension cable (which is Really handy).
The envelope costs the same either way. :ksc75smile:

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #140 of 356

What is JM mods?
Honestly I wouldn't know which amp to recommend to you.
I've tried a mcintosh mha100 with a tube pre and a zmf pendant. Pendant was decidedly better. Very much doubt you'd need to spend anywhere near that much to get a desirable sound.
These headphones are super easy to drive, I think youd want to look at a tube amp that supports low impedance headphones or a hybrid tube amp. Might check out the cavalli platinum or maybe one of schiits hybrid offerings.

JM mod. Is John Massarias mod:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-r7dx-jm-edition-mod.963037
(he does this for the r9 as well).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #141 of 356
I know you didn't ask me, but for low impedance tube amps your options are very limited. The whole Little Dot line works well. I tried my R9's on the my LD MK9, but was not impressed. To me, even on SS and hybrid amps they already sound kind of tubey. The Liquid Platinum, like most full tube amps, does not do well with low impedance headphones. You would need to use a pre-amp to get usable volume. My standard for low impedance amps is how do my Grado's sound on them?

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #142 of 356
I've been looking a long time for good closed backs. I have a big head and the most time there are comfort problems. I think the Focal Stellia is still my favorite hp, perfect sound and design. I had a chance to buy them for 2000 Euros new, but the comfort and clamp force was not good enough for such an expensive hp. I tried also the Denon 7200, too bassy (bad separation) and bad comfort. After trying a open hp with the Hifiman Ananda I gave up. One year later I was looking for headphones again and "discovered" the r9. I think for the the sale price of 369 USD you can't go wrong with good comfort, very lightweight, bluetooth upgradable, easy to drive... I think the hp look better in real, but they are no outdoor hps for sure :wink: The headband is not perfect, but I think a little mod will do it. In addition I pulled the trigger for the Deva Pro new at Amazon for 270 Euro. I think the included Bluetooth dac is for the r9 a good addition and a open hp is a good addtion in general with a different sound signature.

I've tried a mcintosh mha100 with a tube pre and a zmf pendant. Pendant was decidedly better. Very much doubt you'd need to spend anywhere near that much to get a desirable sound.
These headphones are super easy to drive, I think youd want to look at a tube amp that supports low impedance headphones or a hybrid tube amp. Might check out the cavalli platinum or maybe one of schiits hybrid offerings.

Thanks for your help. Its my second day with the r9 and I'm very happy with them. I'm not at home and can only listen with the qudelix. I'm looking forward to listen with the Atom next week, but I guess there will be not much difference.

I know you didn't ask me, but for low impedance tube amps your options are very limited. The whole Little Dot line works well. I tried my R9's on the my LD MK9, but was not impressed. To me, even on SS and hybrid amps they already sound kind of tubey. The Liquid Platinum, like most full tube amps, does not do well with low impedance headphones. You would need to use a pre-amp to get usable volume. My standard for low impedance amps is how do my Grado's sound on them?

Thank you. Help is always welcome :) I'm not so experienced and always grateful for help. Do you think the KEIH TAP-1s could be interesting? I would like to try them, but I don't know if this make sense Review

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #143 of 356
Thank you. Help is always welcome :) I'm not so experienced and always grateful for help. Do you think the KEIH TAP-1s could be interesting? I would like to try them, but I don't know if this make sense Review
Sorry, but I have never heard of the TAP-1's.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #144 of 356

how are they? I know stock they NEED tons of work- I have been mdding hp's since my original Kennerton GH50JM Edition a few years back- my mods are as good as I can possibly tune a headphone I spend typically a week before I am satisfied with a final mod usually 8 hours a day testing and analyzing -but as far as the R9- and hope they meet your expectations modded- I know I had three other users here on head-fi who let a friend listen to both stock unmodded and my mod version and now they all ordered from me :wink: - pm me with details I only do one a day and then test for 10 songs- then I send to customer I guarantee mod and stand behind it 100 % that is at least 5 X better than stock and that it should meet or exceed any users expectations vs stock or I do it over
00E3B36E-42B6-4EDF-9D22-3A0A579C59EE.jpeg
24B1EE96-8414-4CF0-AEB3-11898B6C5EE1.jpeg
B7CD0BA9-EB94-4DD6-A1DD-D9EDFCFFAF8D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #145 of 356
Got home from work and slapped these on. Then pulled this up:

1654723735393.png

Ahhhh, that's relaxing.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #147 of 356
Jun 16, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #148 of 356
Did anyone run into problems finding a replacement cable? I've tried 3 One with a TS connector (My usual) and one with a TRS connector, But the audio comes through unbalanced, The left is louder than the right. And using a XLR just makes it out of phase. In addition, my FIIO K9 pro crashes with these cable combinations. It sounds fine with the stock cable, however it's way to short for my set up.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #149 of 356
Did anyone run into problems finding a replacement cable? I've tried 3 One with a TS connector (My usual) and one with a TRS connector, But the audio comes through unbalanced, The left is louder than the right. And using a XLR just makes it out of phase. In addition, my FIIO K9 pro crashes with these cable combinations. It sounds fine with the stock cable, however it's way to short for my set up.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-the-hifiman-he-r9.961867/post-16981880

Sadly you will need to either get a new cable or reterminate where the ring is empty. This applies for all lines that use the blue mini(deva and R lines)

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #150 of 356

Users who are viewing this thread

Back