Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Mar 28, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #76 of 356
I tried the R9 recently. Apart from the booming, bloated, muddy, poorly extended bass, everything else was good. Great comfort and soundstage (for closed backs), crisp but not sibilant highs. But the bass is dealbreaking bad. If they can improve the bass significantly, the headphone would be a keeper.

The bass could be too much depending on what you're coming from, but it shouldn't have poor extension, wondering what happened there (?)

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #77 of 356
The bass could be too much depending on what you're coming from, but it shouldn't have poor extension, wondering what happened there (?)
"Poorly" was a little harsh. It extends better than HD-6** headphones but not even close to the headphones its looks are imitating, the TH-900. I'd revise it to "mediocre extension." Regardless, the bass is so flabby and bloated that it's a moot point.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #78 of 356
"Poorly" was a little harsh. It extends better than HD-6** headphones but not even close to the headphones its looks are imitating, the TH-900. I'd revise it to "mediocre extension." Regardless, the bass is so flabby and bloated that it's a moot point.

I have to get a pair of TH-900, I only have others to compare...

I assumed that the design follows something similar to Sony MDR series rather than TH-900

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #79 of 356
IMG_20220409_133442.jpg

Had the chance to have another listen after burn in. Its actually alot more balanced now. Still bass heavy but the bass is lighter doesnt slam as hard and has better more well articulated treble. Its actually reminds me of a dynamic XS.

Honestly its really detailed without the harshness of the forstex th900.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #80 of 356
I don't have R9 but I do own R7DX. The driver benefit from burn in. They sounded terrible on day 1 but right now it's been 2 weeks and it's good enough for R7DX to overtake my previous daily driver Denon D5200. And D5200 had overtaken my previous daily driver which was the D2000.

So R7DX is at least as good as the D5200 and D2000.

The main thing that beat the Denons is that the imaging and soundstage is actually very good. It's the most open sounding and 3D sounding closed back that I tried.

Bass while doesn't extend as deep as Denon but still have very good subbass and very good mid bass is impact.

Hopefully R9 is better. :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #83 of 356
Was playing some boderlands with the R9, besides the already impressive imaging that I am getting from listening to music, this is the first headphone with proper image distancing from inbetween the eyes. Honestly I was really surprised as I thought that was a natural dead zone where there is hardly any separation was a natural phycoaccoustic effect of headphones. Impressive that Hifiman was able to overcome that.

@Aerosphere Just to confirm your K9 pro is the ESS version right? Since I have the AKM version and I would say the pairing is very good with excellent vocal details. Its mostly the upper treble/air that gets overly smoothed over. If thats the case its interesting how the R9 reacts differently to the 2 models.

May 16, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #84 of 356
Was playing some boderlands with the R9, besides the already impressive imaging that I am getting from listening to music, this is the first headphone with proper image distancing from inbetween the eyes. Honestly I was really surprised as I thought that was a natural dead zone where there is hardly any separation was a natural phycoaccoustic effect of headphones. Impressive that Hifiman was able to overcome that.

@Aerosphere Just to confirm your K9 pro is the ESS version right? Since I have the AKM version and I would say the pairing is very good with excellent vocal details. Its mostly the upper treble/air that gets overly smoothed over. If thats the case its interesting how the R9 reacts differently to the 2 models.

He has the ESS version. Correct. I'll try to get him to answer to you here

May 16, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #85 of 356

Hi there,
Yes, that is correct, I have the ESS version. The synergy between the two units is great, I actually listened to lots of sources with the R9 but only included the best three and compared the pairings between each other. If we are comparing without considering the signature differences, but only evaluating the technical performance, the R9's synergy with the D40 is slightly better than the R9's with the K9. This is mainly because there are minor presentation differences between the 2 DACs. The D40 has flatter, more neutral mids, and slightly more energetic upper midrange. You mentioned vocal details, to me, both of the devices (D40 & K9) have excellent detail rendition. I am sure that the K9 AKM version performs similarly. The K9 Pro's biggest advantage is its natural midrange with a slightly thicker, bolder note weight compared to the D40. However, the R9 already has a romantic delivery and a smooth signature. When we combine it with a flatter, more neutral-sounding DAC, like the D40, we get slightly more pronounced vocal details. However, it's a trade-off. We lose some of the note-weight and smoothness in the process. To be completely honest, both of the pairings are quite good, that's why I included them, the vocals are dynamic and engaging. The difference between the 3 sources in the review is quite small and nothing to puzzle over for. The R9 is a warm-signature-lover's dream headphone!

May 22, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #86 of 356
I reviewed the R9:

Enjoy!

May 27, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #87 of 356
I got my HE-R9's last night, at about 7:30PM. Probably my latest delivery from UPS.
I was intrigued by these at $599.00. I almost bit at $449.00 for an open box set, but I had just picked up a used set of Grado Hemps. Right now they are on sale for $369.00 and I went for it.

First impressions are that they are very light, very cool looking (although I wouldn't wear them outside) and very bassy. I will attach some pic's and then get on to details.20220526_200331_HDR~2.jpg20220526_195335~2.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #88 of 356
Cable Situation

Right out of the box I got a little scare. I am a big Hart Audio Cables guy. I have several headphone cables and several interconnects. This allows me to enjoy all/most of my headphones out of the 4-pin XLR output on my iFi Pro iCAN. I grabbed my over-worked 3.5mm cable (which also serves my Elex's, Elegia's, LSA HP-2's and HiFiman HE6se V2's) and plug them into my new toy. Things do not go well at all.

(One of the unique features of this headphone are that you can use a single sided balanced 3.5mm cable or a dual 3.5mm cable.)

It turns out that my Hart cables20220526_203542~2.jpg will not work on these headphones. I get a muffled sound and it is only coming from the left side. Hmmmm.

I reached into my cabinet and grabbed my T60 Argon Hart Cable and plugged it into my left cup. Loud balanced booming sound! Yay, all is right, although I am confused.
I went to my R9 box and pulled out the stock cable. Plugged it into the 1/4" output on my iFi and they work wonderfully!
It is a tale of three cables. I think it is because the HAC's are mono cables? Although they work with half of my headphones, they won't work on these. Here is a pic of what they look like:
1) single ring are Hart Cable
2) double ring are stock
3) triple ring is single Hart Cable (as used on T60RP/ Argon).

May 27, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #89 of 356
I don't want to make a super long page, so this my third post and concerns sound. So far I only have a total of about 5 hours of use. And most of that is:
Schiit BF2 via XLR to iFi Pro iCAN. Hart Audio Cable XLR interconnect to balanced single Hart cable to HE-R9's.

There is a lot of bass, but it is not sharp bass. I get the whole thing about echo/reverb. It is a little boomy or indirect. Unfocused? I am liking it though.

I would not call these mid forward. But my favourite 'phones are Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. The mids actually seem a step back to me. And not super clear, like my favourites. Of course it is VERY early for me to say anything with certainty. I will be using them all weekend.
In my collection they will be going head to head with my T60 Argons and Elegia's.

First impressions are that these are barely a closed back, isolation wise. They remind me of the Grado's which just mush up incoming sound. With either headphone you can clearly hear people speaking to you at a converational level, but you can't quite make out the words. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give them a 1.
Also, they are Very microphonic, at least with my Hart single sided cable.

Lastly, they do lack some detail. They pale compared to my favourites, at this point.

However, they are very light, very comfortable, very easy to drive, very affordable with the current sale and fun to listen to.

I don't want to make a snap decision, as I have too often in the past. I want to use these for several weeks and see where and if they go into my collection on a permanent basis.

I have three open backs that I LOVE!

However I don't love a single closed back and I have gone through many. I like several, but they all have nagging weak points.

My favourite genres are new rock, classic rock, blues and horn jazz. Also, I am not a loud listener and never top 75Db's.

Now onto a weekend of listening.:L3000:
Currently deep diving on Florence and the Machine.

May 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #90 of 356
Cable Situation

Right out of the box I got a little scare. I am a big Hart Audio Cables guy. I have several headphone cables and several interconnects. This allows me to enjoy all/most of my headphones out of the 4-pin XLR output on my iFi Pro iCAN. I grabbed my over-worked 3.5mm cable (which also serves my Elex's, Elegia's, LSA HP-2's and HiFiman HE6se V2's) and plug them into my new toy. Things do not go well at all.

(One of the unique features of this headphone are that you can use a single sided balanced 3.5mm cable or a dual 3.5mm cable.)

It turns out that my Hart cables20220526_203542~2.jpg will not work on these headphones. I get a muffled sound and it is only coming from the left side. Hmmmm.

I reached into my cabinet and grabbed my T60 Argon Hart Cable and plugged it into my left cup. Loud balanced booming sound! Yay, all is right, although I am confused.
I went to my R9 box and pulled out the stock cable. Plugged it into the 1/4" output on my iFi and they work wonderfully!
It is a tale of three cables. I think it is because the HAC's are mono cables? Although they work with half of my headphones, they won't work on these. Here is a pic of what they look like:
1) single ring are Hart Cable
2) double ring are stock
3) triple ring is single Hart Cable (as used on T60RP/ Argon).
For balanced use, these were wired/designed to be ran from only one cup. Dual entry for single ended use though. Kinda strange imo. I was close to grabbing a pair before I read this. All of my headphones are dual 3.5mm, and I use the Meze balanced upgrade cable with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back