Introducing the Denon MD5000 Deluxe Edition & MD2000 Deluxe Edition
Jul 9, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
[size=medium]MD5000 Deluxe Edition & MD2000 Deluxe Edition[/size]
Since introducing the original "markl mod" for the Denon D5000 and D2000, I have received numerous requests to provide a re-cabling service for these wonderful headphones.

The problem was that I had a very hard time finding a cable that I felt consistently out-performed the outstanding stock cable of the D5000. I went through 3 markl-mod-ed Denons with 3 of the more popular and respected aftermarket headphone cables. In each case, on balance, none of them provided a sound that I felt was superior to the stock cable.

Rather than recommend or provide any old cable upgrade simply for the sake of it, I wanted to wait until I found THE ONE. My friend, a hobbyist cable maker, had obtained some Jena Labs 22G pure copper cryo-treated wire and offered to put it on a Denon for me, after noting a positive result with this wire on his own pair. Well, when I got it back, my jaw just dropped.
eek.gif

Chielfy, think "more and cleaner water through a bigger pipe". Then think huge, powerful dynamics with pitch-black background, more extension at both ends, and increased focus leading to better resolution of fine details. All with organic tone and body to die for. This is not your grandfather's overly warm, soft, mellow, rolled-off, syrupy-slow copper cable. It's incisive and bold, with great clarity. As a great copper cable, it has none of the usual nasties you have to endure with the typical silver cable (that awful hollow, brittle, thin, grainy, etched and sibilant sound that grates on the ear). Despite its full-blooded sound, the Jena Labs is never fatiguing.

Since no one out there currently re-cabling with Jena wire was mod-ing the Denons, our challenge became to convince the somewhat protective Jena Labs to let us use their wire on a commercial basis. We are pleased to announce that Jena Labs has authorized us to offer their wonderful wire for use on the Denon D5000. All re-cabling is being done by my associate, a skilled and trusted cable maker of many years experience. He does fine work, and braids the cable very tightly which yields an extremely supple and flexible wire. The Jena-cabled wire is by far the most flexible cable I've worked with; it's even considerably more flexible than the stock Denon wire.

We also use the best and most expensive 1/4" headphone jack on the planet by Furutech (and offer the Furutech balanced plugs as an option for balanced users). We knot the wire inside the ear cup to provide strain relief and prevent the accidental removal of the cable, even if you step on it. We use strategically-placed heat-shrink to provide more strain relief, and attach the Qables Y-splitter, for no other reason than it looks so darn cute.
wink.gif
There is no solder joint on our cable; it's 100% continuous 22G Jena Labs wire throughout the entire length. In short, we've carefully considered each and every aspect of this cable to make sure we are providing the highest quality product for you.

We recognize that the Jena Labs wire with Furutech jack is not the least expensive cable on the market, plus it is labor intensive to weave into a long headphone cable. But we feel strongly the result is well worth the investment and truly takes the markl-mod-ed D5000 to a whole new level. I've had the chance to hear or own all the great dynamic headphones out there, and IMO, the mod-ed Jena Labs MD5000 is the best all-around can past or present (I famously sold my Sony MDR-R10 in favor of the modified D5000).

In keeping with its performance level, I've decided to dub the Jena Labs re-cabled MD5000, the "Deluxe Edition". I've also developed a Deluxe Edition D2000 at a more affordable price (see below for details).

[size=medium]---------------------------------MENU/PRICING/INFO-----------------------------------[/size]

[size=small]Standard markl Mod for Your Denon[/size]
I am of course still offering the standard full markl mod for your existing D5000 or D2000. Simply send me your phones, and I will do the mod for you, keeping the standard cables as is. These mods provide a major step forward in the basic performance of these phones.

Standard markl Mod = $159.

[size=small]Single-Ended MD5000 Deluxe Edition (You Provide the Headphone)[/size]

singleendeddeluxeok1.jpg

Already have a D5000 you want to get markl mod-ed with the extraordinary Jena Labs cable, and world's best 1/4" jack by Furutech? Turn-around 3-4 weeks. Here is your pricing.

markl Mod + 5.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $599.

markl Mod + 7.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $669.

markl Mod + 10ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $749.

(Longer lengths available upon request.)

[size=small]Single-Ended MD5000 Deluxe Edition (We Provide the Headphone)[/size]
Want to buy the whole thing from us? Normally, this will have faster turn-around than sending us your phone (see FAQs below).

New Denon D5000 + markl Mod + 5.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $1029.

New Denon D5000 + markl Mod + 7.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $1099.

New Denon D5000 + markl Mod + 10ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $1179.

[size=small]Balanced MD5000 Deluxe Edition with Neutrik Jacks (You Provide the Headphone)[/size]

balanceddeluxeei5.jpg

Already have a D5000 you want to get markl mod-ed with the extraordinary Jena Labs balanced cable with high-quality Neutrik jacks? (Turn-around 3-4 weeks.) Here is your pricing.

markl Mod + 5.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $669.

markl Mod + 7.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $729.

markl Mod + 10ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $809.

Want the world's best Furutech balanced jacks? Add $149 to each of the above prices.

fp-601mexplode.jpg

Need a balanced-to-single-ended adaptor? No problem. Price is $99.

adaptorfinalus0.jpg

[size=small]Balanced MD5000 Deluxe Edition with Neutrik Jacks (We Provide the Headphone)[/size]
Want to buy the whole thing from us? Normally, this will have faster turn-around than sending us your phone (see FAQs below).

markl Mod + 5.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $1099.

markl Mod + 7.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $1159.

markl Mod + 10ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $1229.

Want the world's best Furutech balanced jacks? Add $149 to each of the above prices.

[size=small]MD2000 Deluxe Edition (We Provide the Headphone)[/size]
With this Deluxe Edition of the D2000, we feel we've taken this phone as far as is reasonably possible. Given how great the D5000's stock cable is (out-performs many of the popular and expensive aftermarket cables), why let them go to waste when we remove them in order to attach the Jena Labs wire? Why not take this great cable and put it on the D2000 and then fully markl-mod the result? And, while we're at it, why not cut the cable down to a size the customer wants and then replace the cheap stock jack with a superior shiny new gold-plated one from Neutrik? Great idea! So, here it is, the ultimate D2000. (Supplies limited.)

d2000deluxejx6.jpg

Brand new D2000 + markl Mod + 5.5ft. D5000 cable w/ Neutrik jack: $559.

Brand new D2000 + markl Mod + 7.5ft. D5000 cable w/ Neutrik jack: $559.

Brand new D2000 + markl Mod + 10ft. D5000 cable w/ Neutrik jack: $559.

[size=small]We Will Re-Cable Any Headphone*[/size]
Want to experience the Jena cable sound, but don't have a Denon? If you have a favorite headphone you would like us to re-cable with the fabulous 22G Jena Wire, please contact me, we will do single-ended or balanced! We will re-cable most any headphone, so long as it can be hard-wired. Please contact me for details on specific headphones and I will verify with my cable man that it can be done. Here is the pricing schedule for phones other than Denon:

5.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $439.

7.5ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $509.

10ft. Jena Labs cable w/ Furutech 1/4" Jack: $589.

5.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $509.

7.5ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $569.

10ft. balanced Jena Labs cable w/ Neutrik jacks: $649.

[size=small]Misc. Items For Sale[/size]
Handy with a soldering iron? Why not replace your favorite headphone's crummy stock cable with the best value, high performance wire at ultra-low cost.

Stock Denon D5000 cable = $35 plus shipping.

[size=small]FAQs[/size]
1. What is turn-around time? For a standard markl mod on your phone without any re-cabling, expect 7-10 days. If you provide a headphone and want a mod + re-cable, expect 3-4 weeks turn-around. If you want to buy a completed, mod-ed and re-cabled headphone, today, the turn-around is 3-4 weeks. However, in the future, I will have stock of the standard sizes that could potentially ship withing 7 days.

2. Why can't I find a D5000 or D2000 right now on-line to buy? Are they being discontinued? Absolutely not! The Denons are inconveniently out of stock almost everywhere right now. This is due to their unexpected popularity. Denon keeps pushing back the date for when more will be available. However, I have a limited supply of the D5000 and the D2000 Deluxe Editions ready to go and to be transformed into the configuration of your choice. Even if you can't get them elsewhere you can get them from me as part of the package at a great price (lower than current market prices).

3. How should I contact you? Please click on my user name and send me an e-mail.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 65
Looks like nice work Mark...I'll be interested to hear how they sound balanced!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 65
Well, I just took delivery earlier today of a markl-modded pair of Denon D5000's, in the balanced configuration. A couple of quick impressions (I'll be doing a full-blown review shortly):

Nice cable work (I got the JENA wire)...very well done, with lots of attention to detail.

They are just a touch fatiguing, but that's straight out of the box. Other than that, they sound spectacular!!

I've been evaluating a markl-modded pair that are single ended for about two weeks, and I'm really looking forward to doing a more direct compare. That said, I'm thinking that balanced is the way to go with these...they seem to respond well to the extra power.

Stay tuned...

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 65
WOW... I actually found a similar site that had been using this cable on the Sony MDR-R10. I wondered if they were so highly touted for the R10s then what effect they would have on the MD5000s? I guess this is the ultimate answer to that. But tell me Mark, the D7000s are nearing (assuming all pictures of it are legit), will there be an MD7000 and considering if the Jena Cable would be better than its stock, an MD7000 Deluxe?

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

any options with just the cable alone?

Sure, folks interested in just a re-cable should send me an e-mail for a quote.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

But tell me Mark, the D7000s are nearing (assuming all pictures of it are legit), will there be an MD7000 and considering if the Jena Cable would be better than its stock, an MD7000 Deluxe?

renugaid, I can't wait to get my hands on the D7000. No idea what its stock cable will be like, whether it will be different than the D5000s.

Speaking as a cable freak, I do know that the Jena Labs cable upgrade is one of the most significant and profound cable swaps I've experienced. Usually, with a lot of cables, you have to learn to live with a few areas that aren't so great in order to get the other benefits. In the case of the Jena, IMO, there isn't a single area in which it is behind the stock cable. It's the perfect compliment for the D5000, and will be very interesting to see what it can do for the D7000.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 65
Markl, it would be nice if you let some trustworthy head-fiers to compare MD5000 to deep-cup Darths or DX1000. Skylab is a first appropriate person coming to mind.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 65
kostalex, we are working right now to make a demo unit MD5000DE to send to Head-Fi meets; that way, lots of people will get to hear them. Cheers.

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

renugaid, I can't wait to get my hands on the D7000. No idea what its stock cable will be like, whether it will be different than the D5000s.

Speaking as a cable freak, I do know that the Jena Labs cable upgrade is one of the most significant and profound cable swaps I've experienced. Usually, with a lot of cables, you have to learn to live with a few areas that aren't so great in order to get the other benefits. In the case of the Jena, IMO, there isn't a single area in which it is behind the stock cable. It's the perfect compliment for the D5000, and will be very interesting to see what it can do for the D7000.

Well let everyone know when you get your hands on the D7000 with a comprehensive review and comparison to the MD5000DE
cool.gif
a thread earlier highlighted the rapidly dropping prices of the D2000 and D5000. I remember seeing a link that went to a D5000 for $381 US. Price drop signifying that the D7000 is indeed coming? If it is to be double the price of the D5000 then just under $800 wouldn't be that bad either!

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I was quite impressed with the Jenna Labs cable that I have heard on HD600, HFI-780 and Grado HF-1. Too bad it is so expensive.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 65
Hi QnetiC,
Yes, we will happily terminate in 1/8" if the customer prefers. However we recommend keeping the 1/4" termination and use a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor (available at your local Radio Shack) in case you one day upgrade to a full-size home amp, or (heaven forbid
wink.gif
), you decide to sell it down the road. It will likely be easier for you to sell with a 1/4" jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back