Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Jun 20, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #166 of 476
Really good news then, one part that bother me the most is treble character in LCD-5.
Same, if it were not for EQ I would not own the LCD-5 due to it's dark treble.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #167 of 476
Really good news then, one part that bother me the most is treble character in LCD-5.

I still need to have a listen to the LCD-5. I don’t mind a bit of treble roll off in general though… often, you can bring it up a bit with EQ I find bass presence particularly hard (impossible in my opinion) to rescue with EQ.

Edit: Have since listened to the LCD-5. Really didn’t mind the treble roll-off. Probably could be improved with a bit of a boost from 5-6k (like 3-4 db) and then a bass shelf. I didn’t find it shouty just mid-forward and generally dark and focused. Still believe what I said about bass being difficult to rescue with EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #168 of 476
I did some A - B comparison of LCD 5 and MM-500 at CanJam Chicago and they definitely share an overall sonic signature. The LCD 5 was more resolving and imaging was superb, but the MM-500 was not far behind and yes it may have a small touch more treble extension. The MM-500 will also be a bit easier to drive based on sensitivity. So while I think overall the LCD 5 is a better headphone as it should be for the cost differential, the MM-500 represents a strong value with many of the same attributes. MM-500 is a little heavier as well but but both felt quite comfortable. The usual caveat is that these were show conditions and YMVV etc.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #169 of 476
I did some A - B comparison of LCD 5 and MM-500 at CanJam Chicago and they definitely share an overall sonic signature. The LCD 5 was more resolving and imaging was superb, but the MM-500 was not far behind and yes it may have a small touch more treble extension. The MM-500 will also be a bit easier to drive based on sensitivity. So while I think overall the LCD 5 is a better headphone as it should be for the cost differential, the MM-500 represents a strong value with many of the same attributes. MM-500 is a little heavier as well but but both felt quite comfortable. The usual caveat is that these were show conditions and YMVV etc.
I actually did the same thing...though didn't spend as much time as I wanted to.

I was actually very underwhelmed by the MM-500...but that could also be because I was excited to hear them hoping it may become my first Audeze. The weight and comfort was fantastic and I loved the adjustment "click" you get from it. Sound wise though...it was just "ok" for me. Still, this was a brief 3 song or so listen with them with just the one source. I loved the CRBN and the LCD-5 for reference.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #170 of 476
I actually did the same thing...though didn't spend as much time as I wanted to.

I was actually very underwhelmed by the MM-500...but that could also be because I was excited to hear them hoping it may become my first Audeze. The weight and comfort was fantastic and I loved the adjustment "click" you get from it. Sound wise though...it was just "ok" for me. Still, this was a brief 3 song or so listen with them with just the one source. I loved the CRBN and the LCD-5 for reference.
This was helpful. But also so I could gague your taste to mine, did you have a listen to the LCD-X? If so, what did you think of that and how would you compare them?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #171 of 476
I still need to have a listen to the LCD-5. I don’t mind a bit of treble roll off in general though… often, you can bring it up a bit with EQ I find bass presence particularly hard (impossible in my opinion) to rescue with EQ.
Except it is easy to rescue with EQ, very easy in fact. The bass on the LCD-5 is extremely linear, as is the case with most planars, but it is also much stronger and faster than most other headphones. I feel like a broken record explaining this again and again, but Audeze has made the bass linear in the LCD-5 for a very good reason. If they were to use resonance to artificially raise the bass, they would severely compromise it's quality. By using EQ to raise the bass, you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #172 of 476
Except it is easy to rescue with EQ, very easy in fact. The bass on the LCD-5 is extremely linear, as is the case with most planars, but it is also much stronger and faster than most other headphones. I feel like a broken record explaining this again and again, but Audeze has made the bass linear in the LCD-5 for a very good reason. If they were to use resonance to artificially raise the bass, they would severely compromise it's quality. By using EQ to raise the bass, you can have your cake and eat it, too.
Oh don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to critique the LCD-5… quite the contrary as first of all, I’ve never heard it but second every FR graph I’ve seen shows linear bass all the way down to below the threshold of human hearing. There are other headphones and unfortunately some other planars that have either a bass roll-off or drop-off that affects mostly sub-bass presentation. Most Audezes don’t have this but, I think the new LCD-X does unfortunately leaving me wondering if this will affect all of their studio cans.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #173 of 476

I appreciate the info here, but do you remember what songs you listened to? It could help gauge what sound profile they didn't mesh too well with.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #174 of 476
I appreciate the info here, but do you remember what songs you listened to? It could help gauge what sound profile they didn't mesh too well with.
Listened to MM-500 at CanJam Chicago last weekend, track selection was limited (no internet for Tidal or QoBuz). I auditioned with Miles Davis' "All Blues" from "Kind of Blue", Linear Tube Audio Z10E amp. not sure what the DAC was. The clean bass, blended as well as solo horns. piano, drums all took their rightful place in the mix and although these are reference tuned headphones, I found it to be a very musically compelling experience.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #177 of 476
Pretty sure they are geared towards different audiences. So better is graded on a curve.

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #178 of 476
The more I read on this...the more upset I am I didn't spend more time with the MM-500 at CanJam. I left underwhelmed but that was with just a handful of tracks and no idea what it was powered on as I didn't recognize the source. The comfort was so nice to me and the build was stellar. I gotta find a way to listen to one again soon!

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #179 of 476
When I spoke to Audeze about the MM 500 regarding the availability, they said it is open to all Audeze dealers to bring in. So if you have a local Audeze dealer you can visit their showroom, give them a nice nudge that it would be super special cool if they could bring in a demo set :L3000:

Back in my days working retail, most of the time I knew what to request for demos based on how many calls/emails/messages of people inquiring if we can bring in xyz gear.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #180 of 476
When I spoke to Audeze about the MM 500 regarding the availability, they said it is open to all Audeze dealers to bring in. So if you have a local Audeze dealer you can visit their showroom, give them a nice nudge that it would be super special cool if they could bring in a demo set :L3000:

Back in my days working retail, most of the time I knew what to request for demos based on how many calls/emails/messages of people inquiring if we can bring in xyz gear.
I wish..oh I wish! Here in Indianapolis there is just absolutely 0 hifi dealers or retailers. Not sure if Chicago does...but that may be my closest option at 3 hours away. Which...when you have little kids anything over an hour is pushing it haha! I'll continue my search and I may get lucky on a meet up or something like that.

Actually as I was finishing up this reply I did another search on dealers for Audeze. I did find one in Anderson, IN which is within an hour. Emailing them now so wish me luck! Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back