Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #452 of 472

The MM500 have a Single ended plug(for reference)​

My Amp has a 4pin balanced XLR so I purchased the Audeze stock cable with a 4pin XLR​

Didn’t like it ,not a significant sound improvement in my system​

So I’ve bought the​

GUCraftsman 16 Strands 7N Single Crystal Copper/Silver Mixed Headphone Cable for AUDEZE LCD-X LCD-XC LCD2 LCD3 LCD4 LC5 LCD24 LCD-MX4 MM-500 MEZE Empyrean Elite Kennerton Thror Vali (4Pin XLR Plug) ..$290!! (By mistake I thought I got the $165 one :))​

Day and Night change. The MM500 puts you (on) the stage and focuses on what’s near you,with the GU (cables) I could hear what’s on the stage in a more “holographic” experience and overall more organic experience.​

Connections do matter at this class level​

It most definitely doesn't, unless something is outright broken - in which case you should consider getting it looked at. Especially not with a linear device like a planar headphone.
Don't get me wrong, you do you - I just want to add perspective for others to not sink money. If you don't like your headphone, either use EQ or get a different one- don't just throw money at it. Cables are simple devices, they won't change your headphones sound outside of freakishly high resistance cables with low impedance non linear headphones, which this isn't.
But cable debates are sort of beating a dead horse, so I personally think its better to just stick to talking about the headphone.

But glad you like it anyway.

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #454 of 472
Now that I've had some time to listen to the MM-500, I wanted to share some insights. Most of which were concerns of mine before purchasing.

BUILD:
This was not a concern for me but it can’t be overstated just how well-built the MM-500 is. They’re built like a tank and feel indestructible unless intentionally misused. I purchased an open box so mine came with a few minor nicks in the paint. Nothing crazy but you can scratch them if you’re a little careless with them. That said, I think these could look really cool with some battle scars accrued over the years. The leather on the ear pads and headband are high quality as well. In the hand, the MM-500 feels like a sound investment. No pun intended.

COMFORT:
Coming from the Arya Stealth, I was concerned about comfort. I think I have a medium/large head. I read a lot of complaints about clamp force and the suspension strap. Yes, MM-500 is “clampy” but it doesn’t bother me during extended listening sessions. Perhaps it’s because of the ear pads which are the softest I’ve ever experienced. Regarding the suspension strap, there are more comfortable implementations, like that on the Arya SE, but the headband comfort is good in my opinion.

SOUND:
I'll start by saying my expectations were definitely met here. The MM-500 is detailed, balanced, and punchy with good body.
  • Resolution - Detail retrieval is excellent and very competitive at $1-2k price point. I’m very pleased with it.
  • Staging - If you’re coming from an Arya or HD800 variant, things might feel a little closed in at first. That’s how I felt when I did an initial A/B comparison with the Arya SE. I actually thought the stage width was going to be a problem. Thankfully, I gave myself a moment to adjust to it. After adjusting, the stage is neither wide nor narrow to me. It’s middle of the road. This could be an issue for some but it’s fine for me. The stage is also tall, which I enjoy, but it could lead others to perceive the stage as being narrower than it actually is.
  • Imaging - In short, imaging is very good. At least on par with the Arya SE, if not better. Positioning, layering, space between instruments blah blah blah… all very good.
  • Treble - It’s definitely relaxed but not lacking in my opinion. The treble is still very detailed and completely inoffensive. I’ve always enjoyed the treble on the Arya SE and never found it to be too bright or fatiguing. That said, I also really enjoy the treble on the MM-500. Not sure how that’s possible but all is good here as far as I’m concerned.
  • Mids - The mids are definitely north of neutral but I didn’t experience any shout or honk whatsoever. I was actually expected them to be more forward. I guess this is a reminder not to put too much faith in measurements. I really enjoy this presentation.
  • Bass - I’m not a bass head but I was concerned that the bass would be a little too lean for my tastes. Bass is pretty neutral in my opinion. It’s very tight with good texture. Nothing more, nothing less. Although, I would prefer a pinch more sub bass, I never feel the need to use EQ. The MM-500 bass gives me exactly what I need, not what I want haha. I’m good with that.
Conclusion: I was a looking for a headphone with a detailed, full bodied, and mostly uncolored sound. Something that would complement the Arya SE. I feel like I previously that with the Clear Mg but I think the MM-500 suits my tastes a bit better. Very pleased with the purchase. Now I’m looking forward to hearing the LCD-5 and MM-100.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #456 of 472
Anything else you care to mention? Recently purchased a set of these too, and loving them so far, out of a Cayin N7. :L3000:
Sorry, I accidentally posted it before without all the content. Multitasking is not my strength. I’ve been using the MM-500 with the Mojo2 and I’m quite happy with the pairing.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #457 of 472
... This was not a concern for me but it can’t be understated just how well-built the MM-500 is. They’re built like a tank ...
Due to the negative phrasing, it sounds like you meant to say "overstated" not "understated".

Thanks for sharing your perceptions. The only thing that concerns me about the MM-500 is their high voltage sensitivity. With my LCD-2F the volume knob is near the bottom of the range even on low gain, and the MM-500 is even more sensitive.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #458 of 472
Due to the negative phrasing, it sounds like you meant to say "overstated" not "understated".

Thanks for sharing your perceptions. The only thing that concerns me about the MM-500 is their high voltage sensitivity. With my LCD-2F the volume knob is near the bottom of the range even on low gain, and the MM-500 is even more sensitive.
Thanks for pointing that out! I definitely meant to say overstated.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #460 of 472
Which cable are you using with your Audeze MM-500? Is it a balanced cable?
The cable pictured on the MM-500 was a Meze PCUHD Copper 4.4mm.
The cable pictured on the LCDX 2021 is a Meze PCUHD Silver 4.4mm.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #461 of 472
The cable pictured on the MM-500 was a Meze PCUHD Copper 4.4mm.
The cable pictured on the LCDX 2021 is a Meze PCUHD Silver 4.4mm.
Thank you for your reply. Are you happy with the balanced Meze cable on the MM-500? Did you experience a perceptible improvement from the stock Audeze cable? I’m trying to ascertain whether it’s worth upgrading from the stock to a balanced cable.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #462 of 472
Thank you for your reply. Are you happy with the balanced Meze cable on the MM-500? Did you experience a perceptible improvement from the stock Audeze cable? I’m trying to ascertain whether it’s worth upgrading from the stock to a balanced cable.
I don't believe cables make too much of a difference in sound quality to be honest. I buy nice cables because I care about aesthetics, ergonomics and nice materials. Meze makes phenomenal cables so I like supporting them for that.

Having said all that I do believe balanced cables make a difference with balanced source equipment because I like the extra power. I run an A&K KANN Max DAP for portable use so I prefer 4.4mm as all of my source equipment has that termination.

I do have the XLR version of the Audeze cable and honestly I don't think there's too much of a sound difference.

The Copper PCUHD cable looks great with the MM-500 and sounds great on my sources.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #463 of 472
I don't believe cables make too much of a difference in sound quality to be honest. I buy nice cables because I care about aesthetics, ergonomics and nice materials. Meze makes phenomenal cables so I like supporting them for that.

Having said all that I do believe balanced cables make a difference with balanced source equipment because I like the extra power. I run an A&K KANN Max DAP for portable use so I prefer 4.4mm as all of my source equipment has that termination.

I do have the XLR version of the Audeze cable and honestly I don't think there's too much of a sound difference.

The Copper PCUHD cable looks great with the MM-500 and sounds great on my sources.
Thanks for your honest opinion. I’m running my MM-500s out of the 3.5mm connection of my Cayin N7. Thought it might be an improvement to use the balanced 4.4mm connection instead. Sounds like it’s not worth the price of the cable, unless I only want something that looks better?

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #464 of 472
Thanks for your honest opinion. I’m running my MM-500s out of the 3.5mm connection of my Cayin N7. Thought it might be an improvement to use the balanced 4.4mm connection instead. Sounds like it’s not worth the price of the cable, unless I only want something that looks better?
I find that through the KANN Max the balanced sounds considerably better but that might just be that player. I used that cable on a few different headphones so it's worth it for me to have a few cables for the multiple headphones I have. Unfortunately a lot of the headphones in my current roster require a tonne of power so I need to run balanced whenever I can.

The MM-500 doesn't really need a lot of power to drive so unless you're looking for an aesthetic upgrade you might not want to spend that money.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #465 of 472
I find that through the KANN Max the balanced sounds considerably better but that might just be that player. I used that cable on a few different headphones so it's worth it for me to have a few cables for the multiple headphones I have. Unfortunately a lot of the headphones in my current roster require a tonne of power so I need to run balanced whenever I can.

The MM-500 doesn't really need a lot of power to drive so unless you're looking for an aesthetic upgrade you might not want to spend that money.
Gotcha! Thanks again for your time. 🤝

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back