Introducing the ALO Rx AMP
Nov 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #109 of 148
Yes the gain switch is bw the 2 plugs ( source in and headphone out).
gain is presset 1,5 and can be change to 5).
it need to be switch to the Right, black magic buton.
I have test it, but the amp don't need it to drive my headphone with a wonderfull sound.
So i Stay with original Gain.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #110 of 148
Awesome review over at Touchmyapps of the Rx amp.

"the Rx is an interesting combination of resolution and silk. It introduces very little distortion into any headphone — a fact which makes electronic, dance, and trance listening simple, pure bliss — and produces a grain-free treble. To a certain extent, I could call it smooth. Transitions from low to high are excellent and space is simply stunning."

Nice
beerchug.gif

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #113 of 148
I was doing some comparing between the RX and my P-51 using my
Westone 3's and here is what I found regarding hiss.

Config:
- 64g iPod touch -> ALO Cryo SXC -> AMP -> Westone 3

Hiss:
-Both amps have it.
-The P-51 in low gain ( gain of 2) has the lower noise floor. But when I turn up the volume the hiss becomes noticeable but I would not listen at these levels
-The RX in its default (gain of 1.5 ) has very low hiss but more noticeable than the P-51. If I turn up the the volume it does not increase.
-The P-51 in medium (gain of 6) and high gain (gain of 11) has noticeably hiss.
-The P-51 hiss sounds like the RX when in high gain mode.

The hiss in the RX is very low and when music is playing I do not notice it at all.

Lets face it Westone headphones are very sensitive. I did not notice any hiss with my HFI-650 or HD650 on the RX.

I am still working on my impressions from listening but at this point the RX is getting most of the play time.

It is a phenomenal sounding amp especially with my HD650's.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #114 of 148
Zatara,
wich is the gain of the RX when you use it with your HD 650 ?
Does the original gain 1,5 is enought to drrive it ?
Thank you.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #115 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zatara,
wich is the gain of the RX when you use it with your HD 650 ?
Does the original gain 1,5 is enought to drrive it ?
Thank you.

Rico67,
I have not changed the gain on the RX nor do I feel the need too.
My HD650's sound great with the default gain of 1.5.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #116 of 148
Hey Guys the default gain is enough to drive all your cans and I do not recommend that you switch it to high gain. If you do I would leave it at this setting. Aluminum is a soft metal and these screws have VERY fine threads so many screwing and unscrewing
wink.gif
will weaken the threads on the enclosure and at a certain point it will fail. The idea behind the hi low gain switch for the Rx was more of a one set solution, set it once and leave it. Moreover the default gain should be plenty suficcent.

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #118 of 148
Just saw that you're sold out of the Rx again, Ken...and I was about to push the button! Any idea when they'll be in stock again?

Thanks,

Mike

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #119 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just saw that you're sold out of the Rx again, Ken...and I was about to push the button! Any idea when they'll be in stock again?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Very sorry about this. We have make a large commitment to the production en mass of the Rx and hope to have this taken care of soon. We will have more in about a week.

Again thank you for your patience.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back