Introducing Shanling CD-T35 - Three-Legged Summit-Fi CD Player & Streamer at $18,999 USD
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #61 of 72
Bit odd...

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #63 of 72
I'll add my opinion to the mix and it shadows those of others here - While the player is kind of a piece of art and does have some high quality components and, as a result, a lot of colorful advertising propaganda, it's a CD player and, well, CD quality is what it is. If I were to buy this player it would cost more than my entire collection of about 1,200 CDs I've purchased over the last 35 years and there's no way I could ever justify a purchase like this.

I mean, yeah, keep innovating and making things better but within reason.

This is the kind of product that got me to finally stop getting Stereophile Magazine as they always review products that are crazy expensive and, now I'm close to 60 and can afford it all if I wanted (can't really - married), my old ears wouldn't be able to reap the benefits if they indeed actually exist.

Nice player to be sure but someone is dreaming at that price point.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #64 of 72
I'll add my opinion to the mix and it shadows those of others here - While the player is kind of a piece of art and does have some high quality components and, as a result, a lot of colorful advertising propaganda, it's a CD player and, well, CD quality is what it is. If I were to buy this player it would cost more than my entire collection of about 1,200 CDs I've purchased over the last 35 years and there's no way I could ever justify a purchase like this.

I mean, yeah, keep innovating and making things better but within reason.

This is the kind of product that got me to finally stop getting Stereophile Magazine as they always review products that are crazy expensive and, now I'm close to 60 and can afford it all if I wanted (can't really - married), my old ears wouldn't be able to reap the benefits if they indeed actually exist.

Nice player to be sure but someone is dreaming at that price point.
Well, it's a nice system indeed. I like the look of Kalista much better. 43K usd.....
Can't justify at that price.....19K or 43K

I can still enjoy my Esoteric K05 SACD/CD/DAC connected to PrimaLuna HP Tube Int Amp that can play 2 channel ( 2 small Tannoy GR ) and hp separately with a rocket switch (LS/HP).

Been using this combo with Utopia OG, HE1000SE, HD800S, EMPYREAN 2, LCD5, STELLIA with plenty of power and great synergy.

All I can say is if the vendor can sell any unit to customer then it's good for them.....all the best.
Just like TT with > 200K usd
Just like loudspeakers > 800K usd

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #65 of 72
I feel bad that I spent $500 on the cd transport/ripper for my Hifi Rose that I havent ever used in the 1 1/2 years of ownership. Maybe I should buy this so I can feel bad about never using it either LOL.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #66 of 72
It’s the same in the NYC and Boston ultra hi-fi market, too. I did sales in NY years ago, and though the headphone market has shifted and chifi has blown up in that sector, the ultra hi-fi also unironically and tragically referred to as “high end” audio is still dominated by the likes of Wilson audio, Sound Labs, Classé, McIntosh, etc… much of which is made in the USA. A recent Classé preamp runs in the $16k range, that’s what Shanling is pricing itself into.

I know back when Sony and other Japanese manufacturers were viewed with suspicion on build quality and reliability (1970s-80s), and the market shifted its attitude towards “Japanese made means watertight.” I think the Chinese manufacturers that innovate and differentiate will cause a similar sea change over time. That said, Sony and Yamaha isn’t in the ultra-high-end speaker market the same way that even Kef- a household name in comparison to something like Emerald physics- is.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #68 of 72
Sorry gas is too expensive to fly a space ship.

Only if Teslas free energy came to market I may have afforded one.

Damn you JP Morgan. Lmao 🤣

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #70 of 72
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, I've looked at the products offered by one of major distributors of Shanling products here in France.
That reseller also offers CD players of various brands.
The most expensive CD Player offered as I write this is about 14k€...
It is a McIntosh.

I am a fan of Shanling products.
I currently own 5 of their DAP's (m2x, m3x, M6, M6 Pro and M8) and one of their streamers.

I am quite happy with all of them except the streamer (the EH-3).
It is a fantastic piece of hardware, no questions about this.
But the Eddict software that drives it is such a let down (for now at least).

My greatest fear is that the T35 "streaming" part will also rely on Eddict... and that will a terrible experience for a guy who spends 18k and excepts nothing but perfection at every stage at this price point :frowning2:

I sincerely hope that Shanling will take those "high end" devices as the opportunity to improve their software and that this will benefit all other lines of products, even those already released in the past years.

They launched the Onix Miracle that is also quite pricy.
But less than half the price of this...
At this price tag, a Metronome or, for 2 or 3 times the pirce, a dCS Vivaldi would make it to my home more easily than the T35 though :frowning2:

Let's see how much they can sell of those units worldwide... I am almost certain it will not be that much in Europe/America.
No idea if that is a compelling product in China or Asia more genrally speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back