Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
Jan 23, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #241 of 422
That's exactly right. I felt duped. There are a few people on here that I follow because they give very good, unbiased reviews. But a lot on here are fanboys and can rationalize anything as sounding good. Good for them for enjoying their product, but it doesn't help those who haven't heard them and would like a window into what they might be getting. I say, choose who you decide to listen to wisely.

Yeah, Flavor Of The Week is real problem on Head-Fi, so they go by reviews and $$$. The vast majority of people (including many reviewers) haven't had the opportunity to get their ears trained. I had the good fortune of working with a guy who had Golden Ears...

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #242 of 422
Yeah, Flavor Of The Week is real problem on Head-Fi, so they go by reviews and $$$. The vast majority of people (including many reviewers) haven't had the opportunity to get their ears trained. I had the good fortune of working with a guy who had Golden Ears...

That's interesting. So what would this guy with golden ears say are good sounding headphones?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #243 of 422
That's interesting. So what would this guy with golden ears say are good sounding headphones?

His favorites 5 years ago were Stax SR-009s... He absolutely did not get why people thought Hd-800s were so great. I think he would like these. He trained me and I do. They aren't as fast as electrostats for sure. These are more musical than any cans I have heard, especially with the Classic pads (the stock pads with Wooden NightHawks).

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #244 of 422
His favorites 5 years ago were Stax SR-009s... He absolutely did not get why people thought Hd-800s were so great. I think he would like these. He trained me and I do. They aren't as fast as electrostats for sure. These are more musical than any cans I have heard, especially with the Classic pads (the stock pads with Wooden NightHawks).

Stax are out of most people's price range and don't they all need special amps, too? So what is on your radar? Could you list 2 or 3 headphones that you are partial to?

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #245 of 422
Stax are out of most people's price range and don't they all need special amps, too? So what is on your radar? Could you list 2 or 3 headphones that you are partial to?

I think these are exceptional, especially when you take into account the $$$. In the planar arena, the PMx2s by Audio Zenith beat everything out there and cost "only" $1,400.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #247 of 422
Only $1400.00? I want to work where you work.

I sold mine after I got the NHs! You can get mint used NHs for $300. I am running them through a balanced cable ($200) connected to a Pono Player, which you can get used for $200. I consider this to be TOTL... $700. There is nothing that comes close to the price/performance of this rig... IMHO.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #248 of 422
I sold mine after I got the NHs! You can get mint used NHs for $300. I am running them through a balanced cable ($200) connected to a Pono Player, which you can get used for $200. I consider this to be TOTL... $700. There is nothing that comes close to the price/performance of this rig... IMHO.

That is awesome. I'm waiting on my Nightowl's to arrive on Wednesday. This was a total impulse buy and I'm a little nervous. The Nighthawks have been a pretty polarizing can but I've decided to try something different. I am treble sensitive, but I don't want veiled. I like a warm signature, but I don't want bloat that interferes with the other frequencies. The option of 2 different pads with sonic differences sold me.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #249 of 422
That is awesome. I'm waiting on my Nightowl's to arrive on Wednesday. This was a total impulse buy and I'm a little nervous. The Nighthawks have been a pretty polarizing can but I've decided to try something different. I am treble sensitive, but I don't want veiled. I like a warm signature, but I don't want bloat that interferes with the other frequencies. The option of 2 different pads with sonic differences sold me.

I'm listening to streaming radio on my iPod Touch 6g and the NHs sound great (not TOTL). I think the Classic pads are the most musical, but you have to give your brain a few days to reboot :)

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #250 of 422
I'm listening to streaming radio on my iPod Touch 6g and the NHs sound great (not TOTL). I think the Classic pads are the most musical, but you have to give your brain enough exposure to the sound so it can reboot :)

That point has been made many times on here. But I don't think the new headphones come with the Classic pads. I think they come with the new focus pads and velour pads. So honestly, I don't know if I'll even get a chance to hear them with the pads you speak of. Haha.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #251 of 422
That point has been made many times on here. But I don't think the new headphones come with the Classic pads. I think they come with the new focus pads and velour pads. So honestly, I don't know if I'll even get a chance to hear them with the pads you speak of. Haha.

I haven't tried the Boost pads. The Ultra Suede pads were more of a reference tuning, which you can't argue with. Don't worry, you'll be happy. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #252 of 422
I haven't tried the Boost pads. The Ultra Suede pads were more of a reference tuning, which you can't argue with. Don't worry, you'll be happy. 

I appreciate your vote of confidence. So since you own the Nighthawks and have heard the Meze 99's, then you can tell me if the bass on the NH's is better controlled and not as dominant right? The Meze 99's in my opinion are a mess.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #253 of 422
I appreciate your vote of confidence. So since you own the Nighthawks and have heard the Meze 99's, then you can tell me if the bass on the NH's is better controlled and not as dominant right? The Meze 99's in my opinion are a mess.

Night and day! You must burn the NHs in for 150 hours to get the best from them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back