Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
Jan 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #211 of 422
  About the new boost pads and ultrasuede pads...

I really wanted to have them available for purchase directly from our website starting on Dec 1.
And there is no technical reason that we could not have done that.

But we have not turned on that switch yet because, honestly, AQ is a traditional hifi company that is struggling with the idea of selling direct because we have so many dealers. When exactly these new pads will be available is beyond my control, unfortunately. So in the interest of doing what's best for the customers that keep us in business...

If anyone wants the new pads, send an email to info@audioquest.com, tell them you talked to Skylar and would like to purchase either the new boost pads, the new ultrasuede pads, or both—whatever you need. They can make the sale and ship them to you.

I hate to make it so difficult for you, the customers, but there's only so much I can do to change the attitude of an old-skool company.

Thanks everyone...Happy New Year!

Skylar

Did anyone get a response for purchasing the new pads?  I sent an email and didn't hear back.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #212 of 422

Did anyone get a response for purchasing the new pads?  I sent an email and didn't hear back.

Yes, I was able to purchase boost pads and ultrasuede pads, but it was a bit of an ordeal. I originally called Audioquest on 12/30 to order both pads. I was told that the boost pads were available but the ultrasuede pads were not available. I went ahead and ordered the boost pads.

On 12/31 SklarGray made the statement above that both sets of pads were available to be ordered, so I sent an email to Audioquest on 1/01 and requested they add the ultrasuede pads to my boost pad order per SkylarGray. Not hearing back from Audioquest, I called back on 1/05 to check on my order. I was told my order was being picked that day for shipment. I explained to the rep that I would like to add the ultrasuede pads to my boost pad order and referenced SylarGray's comment that both pads were available to be ordered. The ultrasuede pads were then added to my order. My order was finally shipped on 1/10 and I received it on 1/14. There was no email notification of shipping and the rep said they do not send any email notification for consumer orders.

The price for the pads is $24.98 per pad. I wasn't unhappy with the pad price, but I was charged $17.63 for shipping, which I feel is at least $5 too much. I guess you could get them thru a dealer and pay no shipping but pay tax, which in my case would have been about $7.The total time it took for me to receive the pads from the first time I called was 15 days, so hopefully Audioquest can improve on that in the future.

Part# 1NHPADL5L NH EARPAD L (leather); 1NHPADL5R NH EARPAD R (leather) for the boost pads.
Part# 1NIGHTEARVL MICROFIBER VELVET EARPAD (L); 1NIGHTEARVR MICROFIBER VELVET EARPAD (R) for the ultrasuede pads.

Good luck!

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #213 of 422
@dpump thanks for your pioneering efforts! I am curious about your experience of the sonic differences. I am really enjoy my NHs with the "Classic" pads. I suspect I will be wanting a pair of the Ultrasuede pads when I want a more conventional SS.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #214 of 422
Hmmm.. I'm wondering how similar the 'Ultrasuede' ear pads will be to the Audeze LCD 'Microsuede' pads I'm using with my NHs If AQ pads are similar in performance to (but a bit lighter in weight) I'll simply go with the AQ 'suede pads.

While we're weighing in on the accessories I'm probably in the minority in wishing they had gone the other way on length (Plus !/4" direct plug termination); my NOs aren't going to see anything than other than the several $K of my Home Playback System in front of them (which starts with my Equitech 1.5Q BPT power conditioner; I can't carry this around so I'm not interested in portable.) I'm not sure if the discrete switchable mic is actually going to be completely discrete so I hoping I don't have to shop for another HP cable just yet

I found my Purist Audio System Enhancer CD so I ripped it  to the portable HD I use with my Auraliti PK100 DFP . Next I changed the resistors.  to the low gain setting on my McCormack Micro Integrated Line Drive (Which has been a great match with my NH & should work as well with the NO:wink: I may do some comparisons between the 2 headphones after I have enough hrs on the NO as I have dual !/4 input jacks on the Line Drive.

Now all I need is for my NO to come in at Magnolia. I'm curious as to why AQ decided to give the Earpads names rather than just identifying them by the Pad materials ( People will have think at some point ; delaying reasons for them to think will only speed up the atrophy of their brain cells) (Yeah, I'm a Curmudgeon, but I enjoy myself whenever I can)

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #219 of 422
  How is the treble on the NO?  Is it lacking recessed or veiled any? 

Thanks

Riley

sounds to me exactly like the Nighthawk's

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #222 of 422
Haven't heard the P9

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #223 of 422
Can anybody compare the NO to the Closed Audeze EL8?  I have heard the EL8 only briefly in a noisy Apple Store.  I loved my few minutes with it, but am curious how the NO is different soundwise.

Thanks

Riley

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #224 of 422
  Can anybody compare the NO to the Closed Audeze EL8?  I have heard the EL8 only briefly in a noisy Apple Store.  I loved my few minutes with it, but am curious how the NO is different soundwise.

Thanks

Riley

NO has more bass, less treble, better soundstage. EL-8C has a thinner overall sound but that may be your preference. Both have excellent imagery but NO's seems to jump out at you a bit more. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #225 of 422

NO has more bass, less treble, better soundstage. EL-8C has a thinner overall sound but that may be your preference. Both have excellent imagery but NO's seems to jump out at you a bit more. 

Okay.  Thanks for your reply.  I like bass, but for some reason I loved the EL8.  Would the NO be considered less detailed or less accurate?  If they are on the same level I might have to check both out in San Francisco when I go see A Perfect Circle.

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back