Introducing myself--and request for suggestions (for on- or over-ear general use $100-$200; more in post)
Oct 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 40
^Look for studio equipment-/hifi stores and see what they sell.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #18 of 40
if i were you, i would abuse amazons return policy should you not be able to find a retailer. buy it, try it, return it regardless and then snipe a set on the for sale forums.

I originally gave my vote for the HD25's because if you are at all clumsy, like me, they are a very solid option (literally, they double up as hammers in a pinch)

I have not heard the on ear momentums, but i own the over ear versions (though not for long! they are for sale)
but many report that they are bassier than the momentums, for me, that can only be a bad thing. they had a very HD650 like tonal balance, something that, in my opinion is a very good thing.

I would stay away if you love treble though, they are fairly dark. not HD650 dark.. but they are no grado.

Speaking of which, if you don't mind carrying an open back around outside, I would look at Grado lower end phones. SR60i and SR80i, both have 3.5mm jack's and one of the best price/performance ratio's in headphones today. very good rock phones.. you end up looking a tad retro but the thing is i prefer open backs outside, Where i live most places are in walking distance, and i do so.. so to be able to hear the faint sound of cars as well as see them is a massive benefit.

Easily moddable if you are into that type of things, i gave my SR-80i's a little bit more low end.. but each to their own.

This all being said, I use the momentums outside, but once they go ill be rocking the Grado SR-80i outside.

Another thing to consider is the Beyerdynamic COP(custom one pro), you can customize the faceplates,  they feature adjustable bass ports and the typical comfort you get from Beyerdynamic headphones. I will admit i have never heard the COP, but have owned, or atleast heard most of the beyerdynamic line, including the T1, and know the COP to share the house sound, which i can vouch for as pretty cool. although its not for everyone...

So again, Abuse amazon first!

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 40
  if i were you, i would abuse amazons return policy should you not be able to find a retailer. buy it, try it, return it regardless and then snipe a set on the for sale forums.

I originally gave my vote for the HD25's because if you are at all clumsy, like me, they are a very solid option (literally, they double up as hammers in a pinch)

I have not heard the on ear momentums, but i own the over ear versions (though not for long! they are for sale)
but many report that they are bassier than the momentums, for me, that can only be a bad thing. they had a very HD650 like tonal balance, something that, in my opinion is a very good thing.

I would stay away if you love treble though, they are fairly dark. not HD650 dark.. but they are no grado.

Speaking of which, if you don't mind carrying an open back around outside, I would look at Grado lower end phones. SR60i and SR80i, both have 3.5mm jack's and one of the best price/performance ratio's in headphones today. very good rock phones.. you end up looking a tad retro but the thing is i prefer open backs outside, Where i live most places are in walking distance, and i do so.. so to be able to hear the faint sound of cars as well as see them is a massive benefit.

Easily moddable if you are into that type of things, i gave my SR-80i's a little bit more low end.. but each to their own.

This all being said, I use the momentums outside, but once they go ill be rocking the Grado SR-80i outside.

Another thing to consider is the Beyerdynamic COP(custom one pro), you can customize the faceplates,  they feature adjustable bass ports and the typical comfort you get from Beyerdynamic headphones. I will admit i have never heard the COP, but have owned, or atleast heard most of the beyerdynamic line, including the T1, and know the COP to share the house sound, which i can vouch for as pretty cool. although its not for everyone...

So again, Abuse amazon first!

The Grados comes with a non-detachable 3m long cable. In addition, the Grados' cable are thick! The 3.5mm jack where you connect it to your source, is pretty big! 

Just a side note 
smily_headphones1.gif
 If you wish, I may be able to take a few pictures on the Grado cable 

Billson

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 40
The cable is no where near 3m, it is about 2m.. which is not unmanagable, nor is it thick for the SR60i, the cable for the sr80i is a little on the larger side, but not excessively so.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #21 of 40
The cable is no where near 3m, it is about 2m.. which is not unmanagable, nor is it thick for the SR60i, the cable for the sr80i is a little on the larger side, but not excessively so.

I think that length is probably more correct. I don't have the SR80i near me to check, but the SR225i cable is definitely not 3m long.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 40

I think that length is probably more correct. I don't have the SR80i near me to check, but the SR225i cable is definitely not 3m long.

thanks for the heads up! I have the 60i and thought it's pretty long. Didn't have the time to measure it. Will try measuring it tomorrow 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 40
Any opinion on the Pioneer HDJ-2000 for $140? I'm wondering what kind of bang for the buck I'd get, for a first pair of full-sized cans.

Never mind. Just tried them on and wasn't wowed--I think they might have been have been too heavy. The BB guy tried to sell me a pair of Sol Master Tracks. I think I'm going to try the M80s. I'd prefer the M100s, but just can't justify the expenditure right now. Alternatively, I'd live those Momentums, Cakensaur, but they're a little out of my range and in another country. XD I know someone will snatch them up, though! :)

Oh, so there's ONE pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000s left at The Groves in Wesley Chapel, Florida. :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #25 of 40
Good luck with it.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #26 of 40
DT1350s. Very good detail resolution. Good bass response, but I would not describe them as bass heavy. Excellent with portable devices--a good all arounder. They are at an all time low because Beyer is updating to a new version. Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

IF you do not like the M 80 do try these, 
I've ordered the M-80s and am really looking forward to trying them out! Thanks, everyone--

let us know how you enjoy them! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #27 of 40
^A beyer fanboy, huh?

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #28 of 40
  ^A beyer fanboy, huh?

No I'm a BRIGHT head phone fan q.q

I own one Beyer [BRIGHT]
one Hifiman [BRIGHT TOO]
and one Audio Technica [ALSO bright] xD but Beyer is what started my Head Fi journey so much love for them <3 

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #29 of 40
They're already here--less than 48 hours after I placed the order. Sound great, and I'm wearing them right now, getting used to the on-ear format.

Now, something odd--

The remotes don't work with my iPhone 4S in its Lifeproof case. I'm guessing the extender you have to use with the case nullifies the remote functions. Bummer. I know it's not the V-modas; I'm listening on my iPad right now, and both on-cable remotes work perfectly.

In any case, the sound is great so far. I'm already hearing things that make my music sound new! :D Tried a little Mozart first ("Contessa, perdono" from Figaro), now some oldies. I'll switch to Broadway next, to check out the clarity of primarily-vocal music and speaking (probably some movies for that, as well), then a few other genres. I do need to tweak for comfort a bit, I think--or maybe just get used to on-ears. They're a little painful right now, but I'm really digging the sound. Can't wait to take them to my folks' house so they can hear what they've been missing, too. :)

But, man, I never realized how FUN music I've heard a hundred times before can sound! :D thanks, all!

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #30 of 40
They're already here--less than 48 hours after I placed the order. Sound great, and I'm wearing them right now, getting used to the on-ear format.

Now, something odd--

The remotes don't work with my iPhone 4S in its Lifeproof case. I'm guessing the extender you have to use with the case nullifies the remote functions. Bummer. I know it's not the V-modas; I'm listening on my iPad right now, and both on-cable remotes work perfectly.

In any case, the sound is great so far. I'm already hearing things that make my music sound new!
biggrin.gif
Tried a little Mozart first ("Contessa, perdono" from Figaro), now some oldies. I'll switch to Broadway next, to check out the clarity of primarily-vocal music and speaking (probably some movies for that, as well), then a few other genres. I do need to tweak for comfort a bit, I think--or maybe just get used to on-ears. They're a little painful right now, but I'm really digging the sound. Can't wait to take them to my folks' house so they can hear what they've been missing, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

But, man, I never realized how FUN music I've heard a hundred times before can sound!
biggrin.gif
thanks, all!

Happy listening! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back