Introducing myself--and request for suggestions (for on- or over-ear general use $100-$200; more in post)
Oct 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

bardolator

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

So--possibly pertinent (or not) stuff about me: I'm a high school English teacher who loves music in many of its iterations (though I played bagpipes in my high-school band, and I know some might question the musicality of that particular instrument :wink:).

I grew up borrowing my parents' Koss headphones. No idea whatsoever what model they were, but they were circumaural and had greenish-gold shells (if I'm remembering correctly) with a single coiled cable. Anyway, those were my first. Since then I've used a variety of devices (remember the Sony Sport Walkman? Whatever made us think those headphones/buds things were comfortable?!?!) and am currently using LG HBS-730s (bluetooth) with my phone.

But listening to music on those is like saying you've had dinner at a fast-food restaurant: it might technically meet the definition, but not by much. I'm ready to do better. I do have a pair of UE super.fi 3s that I got a few years back for a good price, but I think I'd like to dip my toe into the full-sized pool.

Right now, I'm mostly using my iPhone 4s as my source, but I'd like a headphone that can grow with me. I listen to a variety of music (from classical, oldies, folk, pop, some rock, etc.) but am not a basshead. I'd like to get back to circumaurals eventually, but figure on-ear 'phones are probably more practical for me right now, because I'd like to use them at school during study hall and after-school planning, and I figure they'll be more portable (and possibly more affordable).

I have been reading the forums and know some of the lingo but don't feel confident enough to be very accurate in describing what I hear, so I'm asking for help with some good starter headphones that will be good for the above uses. I'd like to keep it $100-$150, though would go up a bit if I found the right "fit." And I wouldn't say no to something that looks nice--street cred with the kids, you know--but I draw the line at choosing a brand with them in mind. I want something that sounds great; it would just be nice if it didn't look incredibly clunky (so I'm a little superficial, I guess).

I came here months ago to research, then came back recently looking for reviews on the Skullcandy Aviators (which, I've discovered, are pretty polarizing).

So--thoughts? Used is fine, by the way, if someone wants to recommend something that's for sale in the marketplace here; I actually finally joined to ask about a set of V-MODA Crossfade M-80s that I'd read about.

Sorry if this is disjointed; I started writing this on my iPad, and the forum ate my post before I could finish, so I'm trying to remember what I said the first time....

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 40
The aviators are alright headphones, but build quality is a bit lacking. Luckily Skullcandy offers a lifetime warranty. I wouldn't get the m-80's as all purpose headphones because being on ear they get kind of uncomfortable after a while. I'm guessing you want them to be closed since you don't want a lot of sound leakage.
Check out the:
ath-m50
v-moda lp2
m-audio q40
mdr-1r

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 40
Maybe also look at sennheiser momentum on-ears.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 40
Ill make this very clear: U CAN'T go wrong with the V-Moda m80! Its amazingly cheap and top top notch! Just look at the reviews. Forget about the lp2 because its way less clearer than the m-80 plus the m80 doesn't lack on bass at all. Its not as boosted but gets a rich clear "bassy" sound..  Its sealing well and if u don't wanna go deaf no one will hear it when its on. If u wanna spend more money u'd be looking at the Sennheiser Monentum as for its clear hq neutral sound.. Good luck :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 40
Ill make this very clear: U CAN'T go wrong with the V-Moda m80! Its amazingly cheap and top top notch! Just look at the reviews. Forget about the lp2 because its way less clearer than the m-80 plus the m80 doesn't lack on bass at all. Its not as boosted but gets a rich clear "bassy" sound..  Its sealing well and if u don't wanna go deaf no one will hear it when its on. If u wanna spend more money u'd be looking at the Sennheiser Monentum as for its clear hq neutral sound.. Good luck :)

Hello!

I second the above opinion!

You may also look into;
Ultimate Ears UE4000
Sennheiser HD439

Those two headphones are good alternative if you can't find the V-Moda M80 at your price range

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 40
I know you were looking for wired headphones, though I couldn't help but notice you mentioned about using Tone+ HBS730.  I know these are very popular, have great battery life, and convenient controls - but their sound is so bad, it will turn you away from ever looking into any bluetooth headphones.  I have reviewed and compared HBS730, BlueBuds X, Anker 4.0, and recently Plantronics BackBeat Go 2, and BBG2 blew away the competition with it's sound quality considering these are wireless.  They are not exactly audiophile quality, but still have a great clarify across the whole spectrum with additional emphasis on low end, no distortion at higher volumes, decent sensitivity so you don't have to crank it up, and a comfortable fit even with included tips (although I also tried it with Comply TSX500 which fits it perfectly).  Without a doubt you will never be able to reach sound quality of wired headphones with wireless ones, but if you are still looking for bluetooth IEH (and these are sweat proof for exterme exercising and come with rechargeable storage case) - BBG2 is definitely the way to go for those who are loosing faith in wireless IEH quality :wink:

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 40
davidsh & Aviadawg have provided you with the most appropriate pair of cans for your use...sennheiser momentum.  Save a little longer and go over your $200 budget by $40 and be very pleased.  They sound quality is there but the most important thing is the fact that they are iPhone friendly.  The iPhone 4/4s suffers from short battery life.  The momentum with a 16 ohm rating is the most efficient headphone recommended on this thread.  Momentums will not drain your battery as quickly as the other models.  The momentum comes with an Apple remote on the cable.  You can answer calls with the included microphone and control your iPhone from the headphone cable.  Stop looking and start saving. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 40
What about the original all purpose, on the go headphone? The HD25. (or Amperior if you can get it)
Comfort wise.. it depends who you are, i actually found them comfortable. some don't, this is a total try before you buy hobby.

Just to clarify the On-Ear Momentums are not like the full sized momentum,

Their sound sigs differ in that the on ears tend to be a fair amount bassier. if you like that sort of thing, go for it. 

Everything I've mentioned is fair popular around here, and in the used/fs section fairly often.. if you don't have a problem with buying from used, i'd  say do it. with the excess you could even look to buying an amp.

Good luck on this journey, its a tough one :wink:

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 40
20fenix08, you have no idea how much I'd love to get the Momentums. What's stopping me is that I've read some things about sound quality that make me think I'd wish I had the full-size, not the on-ear. The ivory on-ears look gorgeous, though! I'd grab them if not for the exaggerated highs and lows (again, from reviews I've read--thanks for confirming this, Cakensaur; have you heard both?)--

Which brings me to the larger problem: where can I try some of these suggestions for myself? I live in the Tampa, FL area, and am sure there must be dealers locally, but haven't had luck running one down. When I google, I get Best Buy and the like....

Anyone who knows the area want to help a girl out?

I'm still reading, btw (and skulking around the sale threads)--and learning a lot. It's nice being the student for a change. Makes me wish it were summer so I'd have more time....

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 40
DT1350s. Very good detail resolution. Good bass response, but I would not describe them as bass heavy. Excellent with portable devices--a good all arounder. They are at an all time low because Beyer is updating to a new version. Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 40
If you do decide to go with the m80s, I'm going to post a pair for sale soon. Only have a few hours and have since sat in the box while I got busy with school. I couldn't get a comfortable fit with my ears.

That is something to consider with supra-aural. If you can, try to demo the pairs that interest you before buying.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 40
If you do decide to go with the m80s, I'm going to post a pair for sale soon. Only have a few hours and have since sat in the box while I got busy with school. I couldn't get a comfortable fit with my ears.

That is something to consider with supra-aural. If you can, try to demo the pairs that interest you before buying.

Well with V-moda 60 day guarantee could just return them and lose only on shipping? I Love the M-100 but they are $299 but i would figure the M-80 would be great at the price i saw for the V-80 ( just true blood rebranding)  around $140 which from reviews have a more Neutral sound then the M-100. 

Also the Skullcandy Aviators are pretty good at the price point in my opinion from the amount of time i tried them on using my own audio at music stores.

Also i would suggest the Shure 240A  but aren't exactly portable but great at the price 

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 40
20fenix08, you have no idea how much I'd love to get the Momentums. What's stopping me is that I've read some things about sound quality that make me think I'd wish I had the full-size, not the on-ear. The ivory on-ears look gorgeous, though! I'd grab them if not for the exaggerated highs and lows (again, from reviews I've read--thanks for confirming this, Cakensaur; have you heard both?)--

Which brings me to the larger problem: where can I try some of these suggestions for myself? I live in the Tampa, FL area, and am sure there must be dealers locally, but haven't had luck running one down. When I google, I get Best Buy and the like....

Anyone who knows the area want to help a girl out?

I'm still reading, btw (and skulking around the sale threads)--and learning a lot. It's nice being the student for a change. Makes me wish it were summer so I'd have more time....

I wonder if Guitar Center will have it?  They used to carry a lot of headphones.  Just looked it up on-line and see one in Tampa:

3914 West Hillsborough
Tampa, FL 33614
Phone: 813-801-9290

My Home Store

Users who are viewing this thread

Back