Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
May 28, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #782 of 4,765
  I think I have finally found my sound, Lotoo PAW Gold and Kaede II. I spend almost three weeks going through all my gears and Kaede II has done it for me.

It took me a long time but finally got the sound I can remain happy for a long time. 

Hmmm... so I bet it is good with the original Kaede too. 

(Tells himself: I do not need LPG. I do not need the LPG...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)  

May 28, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #783 of 4,765

Hmmm... so I bet it is good with the original Kaede too. 

(Tells himself: I do not need LPG. I do not need the LPG...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)  

I think to be fair Kaede II is just one amazing DAP and I did play it with calyx M and you are not missing out on anything, just a different flavour and presentation that you might like more. :D

May 28, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #784 of 4,765
  I think to be fair Kaede II is just one amazing DAP and I did play it with calyx M and you are not missing out on anything, just a different flavour and presentation that you might like more. :D

Thanks! What is also driving this is the possibility that the LPG might have great synergy with the Lab 1.

As for the Calyx M, absolutely a great player. I do not think that its synergy with the Heaven VI is likely to be improved on.

May 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #786 of 4,765
Anyone using MacBook air? I got a 64g SDXC card. Paw gold is able to format the card but the MBA is unable to recognise the device? Paw gold is plugged in directly to MBA.Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

May 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #787 of 4,765
Anyone using MacBook air? I got a 64g SDXC card. Paw gold is able to format the card but the MBA is unable to recognise the device? Paw gold is plugged in directly to MBA.Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

I had the same issue. Then I used the MB Air to format the card to FAT32 and it works fine. For some reason the MB does not recognise the formatting of the PG. 

May 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #789 of 4,765
  I had the same issue. Then I used the MB Air to format the card to FAT32 and it works fine. For some reason the MB does not recognise the formatting of the PG. 

So did I.  However, last night in a fiddly mood, I reformatted the 256gb PNY card in the LPG, then connected to my MB Pro and it immediately recognized the device/card.  Re-copied files enjoying the USB3 speed and everything seems to be working fine.

May 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #790 of 4,765
I have a 256 GB card as well, so can't be bothered to try again 
biggrin.gif

It takes a long time to copy everything since I don't have any hardware that supports USB 3.0 (apart from the PG that is).

May 29, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #791 of 4,765
Living with my Paw Gold for two days, I would like to share some first impression with you guys:

I'm not posting unboxing pics here since there is an unboxing video on youtube. Here's the receipt from the retailer EarSight (Shanghai, China). I got my unit for the MSRP 11,999 RMB. 

Also bought a 128GB, 95MB/s SD card. I'm pretty satisfied with the speed. 

The UI is simple and boy, this thing is FAST. Everything is blazing fast. Plays my DSD and AAC files with ease. 
So far I feel there are no redundant features, nor do I feel anything is lacking.

OK. Lets go straight to the sound (without ATE/PMEQ)

First listen: oooh boy this basssss ooooh. The lows hits hard, deep and clean (and wide). I've never heard this powerful bass from a portable device. Maybe I did but that definitely has to be EQed and will have to sacrifice the highs. I doubt if a DAP is capable of reproducing BOTH ends in such a flawless way. 

After a few more tracks: I was wrong. The highs from PG can only be better than the lows. With this separation and imaging, I feel like listening to a desktop rig. I would describe the highs as crisp, accurate, and intense. So if both ends are nice, does it mean PG has a recessed mids?

A few more tracks: well maybe this time I am right, maybe not. The mids in general is well presented, as accurate as the highs. As a result vocals sound less dominant. I spotted lots of details in the mids that I've never heard before, distracting me from focusing on the vocalist. There are just so many details going on in mids and highs, all reproduced accurately and intensely. 

Do I feel fatigued? Well yes but I'm a detail freak (and a proud TH900 user :) ). I don't think I should blame PG for letting me hear everything in the music. 

I spent a few minutes on ATE/PMEQ. Pretty cool feature and I really like some of the presets. Will play more with it. 

Summary:
Pros: imaging, separation, bass, (pretty much the sound in all aspects), UI.
Cons: 1. heated up quickly and gets very hot; 2. I noticed a clicking sound coming from the inside of the device when turning it on and off. I can only hear the sound late in the night and am sure there's no moving part in the device, but I think I should mention. 

My impression is based on pairing the PG with TH900 and KSC35. So far I'm happy. Will post more thoughts later. 

May 29, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #792 of 4,765

I noticed a clicking sound coming from the inside of the device when turning it on and off. I can only hear the sound late in the night and am sure there's no moving part in the device, but I think I should mention.  

Could this be a relay in the device, to disengage output during power-up and power-down of the amp circuit? (to protect transducers and human ears from damage due to loud 'thuds'/'pops')

May 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #794 of 4,765

Cons: 1. heated up quickly and gets very hot; 2. I noticed a clicking sound coming from the inside of the device when turning it on and off. I can only hear the sound late in the night and am sure there's no moving part in the device, but I think I should mention. 

In fairness, I keep mine in a Dignis case, but even before the case I never felt the unit was "very hot'.  Warm, yes.

May 29, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #795 of 4,765
oh! I found a blue line on the Middle of the screen but not serious. anyone have that? (hope you don't) what should I do? should I send back the unit for checking?

HOT - notice that using it with headphone can cause very hot but a bit warm for using IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back