Introducing Lawton Audio-- Denon Mods, Re-Cables, Woodies & More.
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #211 of 279
Sorry to bust in ... I just want to know if my 2 mails have reach you Mark ?! Never had any answer. In name of A.Robert. You wanted some more info since my first demand.
Thx !

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #212 of 279
Quote:

Mark - have you thought about doing cups that are really dark, maybe not straight black but close?

Hi thisbenjamin, my wood turners get their wood from local exotic furniture maker in Oz, so it can depend a lot on what they have in terms of getting suitable blanks for special new woods beyond our standard offerings. I'm certainly not opposed to it.

Quote:

I have a set of D5000s I LUV. On the Lawton site I don't see a cup replacement for the D5000?

Hi Les, the cups we make for the D7000 are identical to cups for D5000 and will fit on a D5000 frame. The D2000 cups are physically diffeernt because of the way Denon has contructed that phone, so D2000 cups won't fit on a D5000 or D7000.

Quote:

Sorry to bust in ... I just want to know if my 2 mails have reach you Mark ?! Never had any answer. In name of A.Robert. You wanted some more info since my first demand.
Thx !

There you are Rakoon, can you use a different e-mail to contact me with? When I try to reply using your supplied address, it keeps bouncing back to me as undeliverable. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #213 of 279
Jun 9, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #216 of 279
I'd bet on the cable making the bigger difference, but as to which is better may depend on your listening preferences. The D5000 comes with wood cups so the main benefit of getting different cups is to get some that suit your needs better than the stock cups. Probably the most important thing though is to pick whichever you need more to get them closest to your listening tastes. I would add that the choice of cups does give you more customization towards those preferences whereas the cable is more a generically positive step up overall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really ?? Euh ... If you've clearly been trying to reply to [e-mail removed] and it didn't work, then try [e-mail removed] (yeah im serious !)
Thx !!

Headphone addict is right. One thing that usually helps a lot is to just make it less obvious. The bots mostly look for actual addresses. If you make it less like a real address, they are less likely to notice. For example, put spaces on both sides of the @ symbol.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #217 of 279
Quote:

I currently have a markl modded D5000.

What will make a greater improvement in overall sound, a woodie upgrade or Jena recable?

Hi gevorg,
It depends on what is most important to you sonically and where you are with the phones and with the rest of your system.

If you had a D2000 with plastic cups, I might say the wood cups make a bigger difference (depending on what the rest of your system looks like).

However, you have the D5000 with Denon's stock wood cups. Our cups are better than the stock cups in that, after a half dozen prototypes, we arrived at what we feel is the ideal shape and size for the cups which is larger than stock and puts more air behind the driver, and provides an enhanced and larger soundstage vs. the stock cups. Because each wood has a slightly different tone, we can tailor the wood we use to your personal musical/sonic preferences as well.

OTOH, if you have a mid-fi or better headphone system that already makes use of aftermarket cables and you can appreciate the difference they offer, the Jena cable might make more sense for you. The Jena is not inexpensive and is labor intensive to make into a headphone cable, but its by far the best cable we've heard for the Denons, and we tried many of of the popular aftermarket cables before, and have since tried a half dozen others and nothing compares to the Jena.

If soundstage is your chief priority, go for the cups. If resolution, tone, solidity and foundation are your hot buttons, go for the cable.

Cheers.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #218 of 279
[size=medium]LA7000 with Tasmanian Blackwood Cups[/size]
Tasmanian Blackwood is one of our latest standard woods for the Denon headphones. Excellent all-around wood, great for people with wide musical tastes. The Blackwood has a mainly neutral tone, with a hint of extra warmth and ease. To the left of this, we have woods that are sharper focused and more analytical with greater slam and pop, to the right we have woods that are warmer and more mellow, with a more controlled bottom end. If you don't know what you like, the Tas Blackwood is a safe, middle-of-the-road choice.

The gorgeous tiger-stripes and golden cat's-eye glow doesn't quite come across in pics. In person, when you change angles, they positively "bling" and light up, it's quite striking.

blackwoodla7000bed.jpg

blackwoodla7000.jpg

blackwoodla700side.jpg

[size=medium]Last Pair of D2000 Sepele Mahogany[/size]
Thought we had used the last of this great batch of wood, but Roshan was able to squeeze out one last pair of this very popular (and drop dead gorgeous) wood to fit the D2000 (will not fit a D5000/D7000). Great warm-ish tone, slightly more mellow top end compared to some of our woods. A bit right of center but not as dense and controlled as Bubinga or Jarrah, for example. This pair won't last long, contact me soon!

lastd2000mahogany.jpg

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #219 of 279
As a favor to a couple customers, here are some pics of your LA2000s that have just been completed.

[size=small]LA2000 with Australian Sheoak Cups[/size]

sheoakla2000hang.jpg

sheoakla2000bed.jpg

[size=small]LA2000 with Red Cedar Cups[/size]

redcedarla2000bed.jpg

redcedarla2000butt.jpg

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #221 of 279
Hi Miguel,
Sheoak is sort of on one end of our spectrum, Bubinga on the other. Sheoak is very crisp, clear and slightly forward of center. It's commonly used in the manufacture of acoustic guitars and with good reason. It's not as warm or forgiving as bubinga and its center of gravity is a bit higher. Sheoak is great for people who value high resolution and detail over warm and rich tonality. It has a forward, more impactful and exciting sound. An active listener who wants to play air guitar is a good candidate for Sheoak.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #223 of 279
Hey markl! I have a question for you! I've spent these last couple pf months in the search of my new headphones and I think I've settled for the Grado GS1000. I have yet to hear the GS1000i which the local distributer didn't have. I've spent some time with the Denons D2000 and to be honest, I didn't find them to be excelling in anything particular. The GS1000 for me has the most musical, airier and resolute peresentation. They sound warm to me. Izt's the kind of sound I can listen to for hours, I want to wrap myself in it. I really have large musical preferences- 80s and 90s rock, even prog metal, classical, jazz, acoustic, folk and country. For this reason it is very hard for me to find the headphones that will suit my musical tastes. But if I had to settle for few musical tastes, it would be rock and jazz (the likes of Norah Jones and small ensembles). Nevertheless, what I do appreciate in reproduction is the soundstage width/depth with good focus, layering resolution of each track in the mix where every instrument has it's own space, warmth and liquid sound (I prefer tubes so I have a tube amp) and detailing. I don't like analytical sound since I don't produce music. So, my question is (phew), in the categories I've mentioned, can your LA2000 modification outperform the Grado GS1000? I've read some time ago about the markl mod on D5000 and how they in some ways outperform the R10. I've never heard R10s. LA2000 would cost me less than the Grado GS1000 but that is not the point. I've always followed my own path, nbot rally caring what the press says about certain products. If I don't find it a kind of a spiritual experience, I am not interested. Thanks!

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #224 of 279
Hi akatona,
Just want to clarify, re: R10 vs. Denon. I owned the R10 for 8 years, sold it because on balance I preferred the mod-ed D5000. I have been mis-understood and mis-read by some as saying something like "the mod-ed D5000 is superior to the R10". That is making a statement of "fact", that I have *never* made, yet took a lot of grief for from people who mis-interpreted me. I do happily make subjective, personal statements like "I prefer the mod-ed D5000 over the R10". I think it's absurd for anyone to claim any headphone is the absolute bestest EVAR in the world (and we do not make that claim for our products); it's like saying "chocolate is best flavor in the world". Tell that to all the vanilla lovers, strawberry lovers, etc.

What we offer at Lawton Audio is a flavor of headphone that we feel is comparable with any of the top-tier cans out there (including all the best Grados, Senns, etc.), and feedback so far seems to bear this out. No one headphone size fits all ears; what top headphone one ends up with is always ultimately a matter of *personal taste*. To that end, our slogan is "World-Class Headphones.. And More", not "World's Best Headphones..."

OK, back to your question.
icon10.gif

Quote:

can your LA2000 modification outperform the Grado GS1000

Er, see above.
wink.gif
But seriously, you've given me some clues as to what you respond to sonically, so I can make some guesses as to how you might ract to our phones. This is also a good opportunity for me to discuss our audio philosophy and our sonic goals with the mods we do to the Denons.

I think there are basically two kinds of listeners, people who are into MUSIC, and people who are into AUDIO. We at Lawton Audio are firmly in the first camp. Audio is merely a means to an end; at worst it gets in the way of the music, at best it evaporates, giving you a direct connection to the musical world created by your favorite artists. Music is supposed to be enjoyable and is inherently, er, "musical". It inherently has richness, it has body, it has inner-glow, it has life. That's why it lights up the pleasure centers of the brain. If a piece of audio is incapable of reproducing music, we think there's something fundamentally wrong with it.

So many audio-lovers, I find, are pleasure-averse; if they accidentally experience the unfamiliar tingling feeling of joy or happiness or connection from a piece of audio they recoil and label it "colored". I find that audio-lovers tend to assemble systems that are (to me) cold, dry, thin, dull and lifeless. They like to call that "neutrality". Yet, ultimately, it sounds like AUDIO, and not like real, live, actual MUSIC. Something truly "neutral" should not act as a sort of sieve on the sound, filtering out all the heart and soul of the music, it should get out of the way and let it rip. We think there is no such thing as (and no two people will agree on what constitues) absolute "neutrality"; in the end there is only "I like" and "I don't like". I bet many of those so-called "neutral" systems ultimately gather dust, as they just aren't much fun to listen to.
frown.gif

akatona, you use two red-flag words for me in your description of what you like about the Grado, "wramth" and "air". I find these words mean different things to different people.

Sometimes, I find when people use the word "warm" to describe something, they mean a sort of thin, gauzy, dry and polite tone that lacks full treble extension and rolls the bass off pleasantly and has a white background and sort of soft-focus quality to the edges of sounds. If that is one's definition of "warm", the Denons won't really do that. They do have solidity, substance and body with real meat on the bones; they are high-rez phones with crisp, focused details and jet-black background. Treble extension is full and open, and bass response is rock solid with a nice punch. But the tone of our phones is rich, slightly liquid, and warm in the good sense of the word. Again, some people may call them "colored", but we say it's "natural", "realistic", and yes, "musical".

WRT to "airy", to some people that describes a sound that I hear as hollow, insubstantial, see-through, ghostly, amorphous, floaty, misty, foggy etc. Instruments tend to have soft-focus edges and bleed into one another. Again, the Denons won't do that, they present a solid, substantial image located precisely in space, each instrument is easily picked out and followed if you so choose. "Air" in audio is supposed to refer to the space around musicians in which their instruments are allowed to breathe and fully express themselves; on that score we think the Denons definitely deliver. Open headphones, to my ears, have a general tendency toward providing the "bad" kind of "airy" experience I described above. Almost all of my favorite headphones I've heard have been closed. What you may sacrifice in terms of apparent soundstage size you get with open phones (although it tends to fade out at the edges and blends individual sounds into a foggy soup), you more than make up for with fullness, solidity, precise imaging, black background and true air around instruments with good closed phones. Our custom cups for the Denons are the result of a lot of experimentation and are larger than stock (but not too big you start to introduce unwanted elements), and as a result present a larger, more expansive and deeper soundstage than stock. Our headphones throw a very large soundstage (without the usual gap in the middle of the image), by just about any standard.

The issue with the stock Denon phones as we see it, is that, while they are very open and clear and resolving, punchy and fun, they go several steps too far-- way past "exciting" and over into plain-old "fatiguing". The markl Mod tames their beastliness, shouty-ness, and pummeling, punishing bass, while retaining enough character to make them highly entertaining, fun, engaging, and "musical".

So, based on all that, whether the LA2000 will appeal to you akatona, maybe you now have some more information to make a judgement about that. Cheers.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #225 of 279
@markl

Thank you for your detailed and swift response. Yes I see what you mean. The words I used - warmth and air have the same meaning to me as you have described. I have listened to many systems journalists swear on as being the ultimate in resolution and neutrality... but as you said, maybe they should have listened to music more instead of concentrating on certain audio qualities of the components.

I see you guys are really serious about music and that's enough for me. I have to think about it for some time. I will listen to the Grados and everything else again and when I do, I'll contact you guys for an advice. I think you have done a fantastic job by listening to people's needs. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back