Introducing Kossheiser PX 75's!
Apr 21, 2007 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Absorbine_Sr

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Not long ago, after reading 8 bazillion posts about how awesome they are, I bought a pair of KSC75's. And people are right. They sound mighty fine for less than the cost of a mediocre dinner. Only one problem. The earclip thing. Frankly, it sucks.

My normal work cans are Senn PX 100's. I like them. But today, while waiting for some work to be heaped upon me, I started wishing I could listen to the KSC75's. And looking at the PX 100's. And then I thought, hmmmm - mod time. The Senns looked easy to take apart, so why not.

When I got home I went to work. The first thing was to remove the earpieces from the PX 100's. As seen in the pic below, three screws hold the inside of the headband together on each side:

kh1.jpg

Undoing these allows you to simply remove the earpiece:

kh2.jpg

As you can see above, the ball that fits in the headband socket also just unscrews. I noted the orientation so I could set them up correctly on the 75's later.

Next it was time for the 75's. It's a simple job to pop the ear clips off of them, and you are then left with the following:

kh3.jpg

The little "nipple" in the center support was going to make what I wanted to do difficult so I removed it with a sanding wheel in a Dremel tool. It now looked nice and flat like this:

kh4.jpg

Going back to the Dremel tool, I used a 3/64" drill bit to drill small holes in the center supports. Try as I might, I could not get a good picture of this, but just to let you know, I'm old with mildly shaky hands, and it was not hard to do. And I figured if I ruined the 75's, I was out what? $15? No big deal.

So now all I needed to do was give the KSC75's Sennheiser balls
600smile.gif
and we were ready to go:

kh5.jpg

Re-assemble them to the headband, and here's the finished product:

kh6.jpg

A couple of nice things about this mod - I can very simply, by undoing 8 screws, fit the original Senn earpieces back on. And I bet the ear clips would still snap on the KSC75's. And also, they still retain the ability to fold up and fit in the PX 100 case!

kh7.jpg

I won't go into anything lengthy about how they sound - that is pretty much detailed all over this forum. But now I can comfortably listen to them and safely transport them. And yes, I do think I like their sound better than the Sennheisers.

What do you think sirs?

A_Sr.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 35
What do you do withe the PX100 drivers now? :b

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haven't figured that one out yet. Computer speakers? Nah. Tape 'em to one of the cats' heads? Nah, fun thought but impractical.

Guess I'll wait for someone who has broken their PX 100's and sell 'em. Or let them gather dust, who knows?

A_Sr.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 35
How about mounting the PX100 drivers on the KSC clips. I liked the PX100 for the short time that I owned them, but I hated the headband. The suckers wouldn't stay on my head when I was moving around.

Keep in mind I do have a large head.
blink.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sennkosser KSC-100...
PX drivers in KSC earclips

LOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice, now a folding headband for the KSC....
tongue.gif

Just wondering...can Portapros headband work with KSC75?

Apr 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 35
How did you guys attach the little PX100 ball to the KSC earpiece? Does it just clip on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back