Introducing HIFIMAN AUDIVINA--New Closed-Back Planar Headphones!
May 5, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #78 of 119
I ordered the HiFiMan HE1000SE and they arrived in one day (today). I immediately liked them. Comparing them and the Sundara to the Audivina, I can’t stand the sound of the Audivina, they sound - opaque. Overtones are supposed to expand and bloom, they don’t with the Audivina, they sound trapped in a box, closed.

I have a test CD with different tones recorded on each track, 20 Hz - 20 kHz. On speakers, which is how I listen to music most of the time, I can hear up to 13 kHz - at 14 kHz. I can hear clearly up to 12 kHz, and it goes down from there, nothing at 15 kHz.

I auditioned the 3 pairs (Sundara, Audivina & HE1000SE) with the test CD (RME>Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone Amp). The results with the Sundara and Audivina were the same - nothing at 20 and 30 Hz, I can hear a rumble start at 40 Hz. On the treble side the Sundara and the Audivina also behaved the same - nothing above 12 kHz. That does not mean they sounded the same - the Sundara sound much better to my ears.

I then tested the HE1000SE. I could hear a very quiet rumble start at 20 Hz, then a clear rumble at 30 Hz. On the treble side I could hear clearly up to 13 kHz, quite clearly with a slight boost at 14 kHz, and I could even hear at 15 kHz (for the first time that I tested in the past 25 years) with a big boost. I didn’t even try beyond that.

The HE1000SE cost a little more than the Audivina, so maybe this is not earth shattering news.

I could live happily with the HE1000SE, but there is a little nagging doubt - could the Susvara bring me everlasting happiness and solve all my problems? On to the Susvara.

I want to thank HiFiMan’s amazing customer service, who have been very responsive even though it’s a national holiday week in China (May 1). They let me basically try any of their headphones and return any I don’t like (they even promised me in writing in advance that that is the case). This is truly impressive and I am grateful. I never liked any headphones (and I tried the flagship models of most) until I heard the Sundara (with the RME). HiFiMan is my go-to headphone brand.

So let the chorus of losers and cry-babies resume, but you may want to hold your fire: a comparison with the Susvara is coming and I may think of some choice words by then.

Simonel

Attachments

• HiFiMan holy Trinity.jpg
    HiFiMan holy Trinity.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #79 of 119
Are we being trolled here?

May 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #80 of 119
I can't get past how awesome the Audivina look. More of an audio jewelry than any Hifiman headphones I have tried so far.

One thing I noticed is that the passive noise cancellation is pretty poor on these. It's part the loose-ish clamp, and part the cup design that's leaves slight gaps around without fully sealing.

2X2A1327.jpg

May 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #82 of 119
I had a bit of extra time on my hand and got into a writing frenzy, so finished my review ahead of time. It is an honour to share the first Audivina review on Head-Fi. Hopefully many more will follow to give a rounded, diverse and fair picture overall.

May 7, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #83 of 119
Thank you for a balanced, detailed, intelligently written and honest review (honest, unlike the fake one of the Metropolitan Opera’s violinist’s from 2 weeks ago, who did not even start with any disclaimer and received 12 likes).

For weeks we have been pining for a review, see the desperate posts from the middle of April, hence the overwhelming response from the gallery and the tsunami of likes.

Or rather not.

It is particularly illuminating to see who did NOT vote a like either here or on the review itself.

Apropos honesty, I particularly appreciated your observations that “After a slight mid-bass emphasis, sub-bass rolls off which is not what I was expecting with a planar headphone at this price”...”but still at first the mids sounded a bit hollow, like the singer was singing from the bottom of a huge aluminium barrel. This luckily has improved with a bit of burn-in (driver and brain) but still vocals to my ears cannot get quite as natural as they are on open-back headphones like the Arya for example. Male vocals can sound thin and lack too much texture, they can also be a little dry. I did not find female vocals particularly engaging either; little thin, lacking texture and body”...”I found the treble slightly too bright for my taste on the Audivina as well. From memory, the Arya has better texture and naturalness in the top registers, but the Audivina in my opinion on certain treble heavy tracks simply runs out of steam and performance up top. It sounds the thinnest in the highest frequencies and looses the most amount of information, texture. Faithless – Salva Mea to my ears on the Audivina sounds too bright and harsh even from a tube amp. The Knife – Marble House lacks a bit of bass presence and the treble also sounds quite bright and thin on this track.”

Much more intelligently and tactfully written than my crude comments about Audivina’s poor bass, poor treble, lack of bloom at the top, and thin, strange opaque (see “lacking texture and body” above) and unengaging sound (see “I did not find female vocals particularly engaging either” above).

So other than the bass, mids and treble and overall unengaging experience, the Audivina are good headphones - they have a very spacious soundstage.

I suppose the mob of stupid losers and cry-babies, preaching about good manners and the laws of physics is not too thrilled.

Simonel Vlad Țepeș

Attachments

• typical headfier.gif
    typical headfier.gif
    529.6 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #84 of 119
Thank you for a balanced, detailed, intelligently written and honest review (honest, unlike the fake one of the Metropolitan Opera’s violinist’s from 2 weeks ago, who did not even start with any disclaimer and received 12 likes).

For weeks we have been pining for a review, see the desperate posts from the middle of April, hence the overwhelming response from the gallery and the tsunami of likes.

Or rather not.

It is particularly illuminating to see who did NOT vote a like either here or on the review itself.

Apropos honesty, I particularly appreciated your observations that “After a slight mid-bass emphasis, sub-bass rolls off which is not what I was expecting with a planar headphone at this price”...”but still at first the mids sounded a bit hollow, like the singer was singing from the bottom of a huge aluminium barrel. This luckily has improved with a bit of burn-in (driver and brain) but still vocals to my ears cannot get quite as natural as they are on open-back headphones like the Arya for example. Male vocals can sound thin and lack too much texture, they can also be a little dry. I did not find female vocals particularly engaging either; little thin, lacking texture and body”...”I found the treble slightly too bright for my taste on the Audivina as well. From memory, the Arya has better texture and naturalness in the top registers, but the Audivina in my opinion on certain treble heavy tracks simply runs out of steam and performance up top. It sounds the thinnest in the highest frequencies and looses the most amount of information, texture. Faithless – Salva Mea to my ears on the Audivina sounds too bright and harsh even from a tube amp. The Knife – Marble House lacks a bit of bass presence and the treble also sounds quite bright and thin on this track.”

Much more intelligently and tactfully written than my crude comments about Audivina’s poor bass, poor treble, lack of bloom at the top, and thin, strange opaque (see “lacking texture and body” above) and unengaging sound (see “I did not find female vocals particularly engaging either” above).

So other than the bass, mids and treble and overall unengaging experience, the Audivina are good headphones - they have a very spacious soundstage.

I suppose the mob of stupid losers and cry-babies, preaching about good manners and the laws of physics is not too thrilled.

Simonel Vlad Țepeș
Thanks for the positive words, but I have to say it was not particularly challenging to sound a bit more sophisticated and articulate than some of your comments.
I also mention, that auditioning is necessary before a purchase at this price point as others might have different priorities in sound (perhaps they value this spaciousness higher than I do).
I recommend to read the whole review as the most critical parts were highlighted here.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #85 of 119
I also mention, that audition is necessary before a decision as others might have different priorities in sound. I recommend to read the whole review as the most critical parts were highlighted here.
I had a friend who always declared his love and admiration for the German baritone Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. DFD has a very distinctive sound, easily recognizable. My friend was passionate about classical music. I used to send him private recordings I made (with my Schoeps mics> Sound Devices recorders) and he used to spend hours listening to them and cataloging them.

Once, on my way to visit him, I stopped at a CD store (this was in the last century) and found the Maazel La Traviata, which I had on LP’s and just came out on CD’s. I bought it for him. When I gave it to him I told him to start a few tracks into the second act and commented that I think he would like it.

DFD comes in and no reaction from my friend. DFD sings his big aria and still no reaction from my friend. I’m looking at him puzzled.

Friend: “what?”

Me: “don’t you hear?”

Friend: “hear what?”

(skip a few embarrassed minutes)

Me: “it’s your favorite singer!”

Friend: “Who is my favorite singer?”

Me (finally): “it’s DFD!”

Friend: “Ah…”

I then realized he was simply tone deaf. It took me a few more years to realize that a lot of people who are passionate about “upscale” hobbies are complete frauds with emphatic preferences and opinions. They make judgments based on completely irrelevant factors. People who can really discern are few, and they mostly keep quiet, unless asked.

So an audition may be necessary for some, but others need to be told what is good and it is not, so that they can follow, like a herd of sheep.

Attachments

• typical headfier.gif
    typical headfier.gif
    529.6 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #86 of 119
It took me a few more years to realize that a lot of people who are passionate about “upscale” hobbies are complete frauds with emphatic preferences and opinions. They make judgments based on completely irrelevant factors. People who can really discern are few, and they mostly keep quiet, unless asked.
This I find to be true as well.

May 7, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #87 of 119
I had a bit of extra time on my hand and got into a writing frenzy, so finished my review ahead of time. It is an honour to share the first Audivina review on Head-Fi. Hopefully many more will follow to give a rounded, diverse and fair picture overall.
Apropos the concluding comment of your review: "For me they remain a bit of a one trick pony, although they do that one trick exceptionally well.", I wanted to point out what I had for lunch yesterday. It was very good and I am considering having the same for lunch today, will keep members and guests alike posted.

Attachments

• Lunch 5-6-23.png
    Lunch 5-6-23.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #88 of 119
13 now.

May 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #90 of 119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back