Introducing a high quality Bluetooth "Wireless" cable from LEAR!
Nov 19, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #93 of 193

Well.. I guess I'll be reviewer number 3! Just ordered a set.
Hopefully I get a good quality set.. If you're listening Lear please send a good pair over to Australia for me!

Will report back here everyone with a review when I've tested them with my Shure 846's via MMCX connection on iPhone 7.

Cheers,
Simon

That's great and thank you so much for your support!

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #95 of 193
  Do you have these in stock? I ordered about 5 days ago now and they still haven't shipped.

Any ideas when they'll ship to me?

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

We've sent out your order few days ago and will update the tracking for you ASAP.
It will take about 7~10 days to arrive by the way, please be patient and thanks for your support!

LEA'R

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #98 of 193
Hello all,

So my cable arrived in the post yesterday. Been playing with it since. I'm no reviewer but I'll try and give it a shot for those interested.

Delivery time was 6 days from ordering. I got email updates, the item came packaged well so no idea what happened to the other guy who got one?

I got the MMCX version to use with my Shure 468's. Been looking for a wireless solution since getting my iPhone 7.

I fully charged the cable (more on this later) using the supplied micro usb cable. My shure's clicked into the cable with no issue, nice tight click and it was done.

The cable itself is very thin. Having used a silver litz I it was a bit of a shock and felt almost too thin. The whole device is tiny and very light weight. Placing it around my head I soon forgot it was even there it's that light.

Connecting to my iPhone 7 was as easy as holding the middle button for 5 secs. My iPhone picked up the Lear right away. No issues at all with connection.

I played a playlist with songs I know very well. I normally run the 468's via a dragon fire red which i've enjoyed for a while so know good audio. To say I was blown away was an understatement. Maybe I wasn't expecting much as I sort of thought bluetooth would be a compromise between wireless and quality but the audio out of this cable is stunning. No other words for it. No background hiss, solid amp and dac. Soundstage was very impressive, nice and wide. Clear separation on detailed tracks. Bass was actually more solid and impressive than the silver cable I was using before. Was blown away by that.

Of course the dragon fire red + sliver cable did deliver a more rounded listening experience but it's VERY touch and go between the bluetooth cable and my $600 "higher end" solution.

Some things I didn't expect... There's something quite amazing about plugging your ears into a cable and being free from tangles. After 30secs you forget the cable is there and it's just audio wired into your brain. No microphonics from a cable bouncing on you as you walk.

Really enjoyed walking to work with clear audio and freedom.

Connection and range is very good. I can walk a good 5-6m away from my phone with no drop in quality. More from my Mac. The cable pairs to both (I think the max is 2 devices) and just switches between whatever is playing. Nice!

Battery life is a tricky one. It's rated at 3 hours and I actually got about an hour over that. One neat thing I haven't seen before is that when linked the iPhone shows the Lear's battery next to the bluetooth icon so you know where you've at. So.. 3-4 hours. Is it enough? I'm torn. Would I like 10 hours? Sure. Would I like a device that's bigger and heavier? No. It's the perfect weight and I wouldn't want to increase that.

For my listening it works great. Walk into work, listen during the morning. Charge it over lunch. Bit more listening in the afternoon, walk home, listen late at night. Repeat.

It also charges pretty damn fast. Always seen it fully charged in under an hour.

I have had a few cut outs during listening. Weirdly when the phone was in my pocket and I had a backpack on. I moved the mid part of the cable over and it fixed it. No other drop outs.

One thing I can't quite work out is if it auto turns off. It seems to stay connected to the phone but in some low power mode. It can go for a few hours like that so it can't be connected fully but then if I play music it kicks back in straight away.

I do wish it came with a small case. Not a big deal though.

So overall... Wow. It's not often that I'm blown away by tech but this really took me by surprise. Very close to selling the silver cable and Dragonfire Red. It's that good.

Top job Lear!

Cheers,
Si

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #101 of 193

AAC yes. No to Apt-x but not an issue to me as I'm using Apple Music with iPhone which sounds fantastic to my ears.

Thanks. 
smile.gif
 AAC is more than enough for me. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #102 of 193
I have the 2-pin version in the house, but I've had some surprises. Noble uses small pinholes, so it isn't really safe for me to try this too much with the Noble Kaiser Encore, I got about 1/4 inserted and chickened out. Worse than prom night, but I did get some really nice clear sound out of it, just not in a way that you would parade around town. I also got the Trinity Phantom Master 4s but found that they have even smaller pins. I'm not a fan of these non-standard 2-pin set-ups. Frustrating for aftermarket cables and in the case of the Trinity frustrating to use the stock cables.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #103 of 193
  I have the 2-pin version in the house, but I've had some surprises. Noble uses small pinholes, so it isn't really safe for me to try this too much with the Noble Kaiser Encore, I got about 1/4 inserted and chickened out. Worse than prom night, but I did get some really nice clear sound out of it, just not in a way that you would parade around town. I also got the Trinity Phantom Master 4s but found that they have even smaller pins. I'm not a fan of these non-standard 2-pin set-ups. Frustrating for aftermarket cables and in the case of the Trinity frustrating to use the stock cables.

I just got mine this morning and I'm experiencing the same tight fit on my 64Audio V3 and A12 IEMs. I also kind of chickened out with my A12, but I did push it flush into my V3s. It worked fine, no permanent damage. It even came out fine, but the only thing I'm concerned about is after plugging in the original cable back in, it's now kind of loose. I'm worried now it may fall out. This is something I wasn't worried about before, the tension/friction was enough I never felt the IEM would just come loose from the original 2-pin connector. Connecting the LEAR did loosen it.

Other than that, while pairing it with my iPhone 6S, there's some subtle hiss/static in the background. I can't hear it too much when music is on, but during any silence you definitely can hear it. If you pause, you can hear it right before the bluetooth disconnects and then there's true silence.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #104 of 193

I just got mine this morning and I'm experiencing the same tight fit on my 64Audio V3 and A12 IEMs. I also kind of chickened out with my A12, but I did push it flush into my V3s. It worked fine, no permanent damage. It even came out fine, but the only thing I'm concerned about is after plugging in the original cable back in, it's now kind of loose. I'm worried now it may fall out. This is something I wasn't worried about before, the tension/friction was enough I never felt the IEM would just come loose from the original 2-pin connector. Connecting the LEAR did loosen it.

Other than that, while pairing it with my iPhone 6S, there's some subtle hiss/static in the background. I can't hear it too much when music is on, but during any silence you definitely can hear it. If you pause, you can hear it right before the bluetooth disconnects and then there's true silence.

Actually, in @ExpatinJapan 's review, he also reviewed a 2-pin version, but the photos in his review look like a different 2-pin connector. The one I received is an angled connector, the one in the review is straight. The LEAR's website there's 2 connectors that look like 2-pin connectors, 1 in straight and 1 is angled. I'm wondering if the store I bought it from confused these and sent me the wrong one.

I received the first one from the right, but the 2nd one from the left looks like a smaller 2-pin and it's the one in Expat's review.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #105 of 193

That subtle hiss/static is currently common to most Bluetooth. Some of it will be on the transmitter side, and some is just the nature of the beast. Apparently, aptX HD is supposed to reduce distortion, but there aren't enough transmitters for me to find out. I have an aptX HD headphone, but the only readily available transmitters are the LG G5 and the LG V20 (the V20 isn't available in Europe). The Lear BTC-01 is cleaner than almost all Bluetooth on the headphone side. When I was using a cheap Bluetooth dongle I had noticeably more hiss and static than when I switched to an Avantree Priva II (Avantree transmitters have always sounded good for me)--I might put a review up of my Avantree Priva II, it is that good. I think that an audiophile brand needs to make a transmitter. MEE has one, but I haven't heard it--the Priva II is less expensive and has more features. I'd like to see @lear-hk make one, as I'm sure they would make a really nice sounding one. There are lots of audiophile Bluetooth receivers now, but the transmission is just as important in my experience.

Make it happen, Lear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back