Intro, Q701 - M-Stage, Schiite Lyr, Nuforce HDP Icon or Heed Canamp?
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

buzzbang

New Head-Fier
Howdy Everyone,

I've just bought some AKG Q701's on a bit of an impulse. Didn't realise quite how hard they are to drive, doh!

After purchase I listened to some AKG K551's (hopefully similar to the Q701's in terms of being hard to drive (?)) via an Audioquest M-DAC on Saturday and it was definitely good..., as was the Lehmann Rhinelander, but I suspect I can get more for less, which is always good
smile.gif

I'm dug out my old Zhaolu 2.5 DAC and they sound ok verging on pretty good on that, but I know I'm missing out on their full potential.

I'd be very grateful to hear people's opinions about the pairing of Q701's with the Matrix M-Stage, Schiite Lyr, Nuforce HDP Icon or Heed Canamp.

Out of that lot what do you think will sound best? wrt price the M-Stage is looking pretty tempting... The Nuforce HDP Icon audio has the bonus of a Sabre DAC and a single unbalanced input.

wrt use - mainly studio use, i.e honest not coloured, but PRaT, non-fatiguing and musicality important.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

I'm currently burning the Q701's in can anyone comment on the expected benefits, best method?

Cheers

Rob

Source - Zhaolu 2.5 or EMU 1212m PCI << most likely or Soniccore/Creamware A16U or MF X-DAC V3.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 3
I've had my Q701s for a few days now.  They actually sound great coming out of both of my laptops, but not from my iPhone.  I haven't tried running them on other sources yet, and I'm getting my Objective2 amp in the mail today. 

I'm really just starting out learning about head gear, but I can't help but think already that the need to amp and burn in these are totally overstated.  That being said, I heard pink noise for ~100 hours is a good way to burn them in. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 3
The pink noise tip is interesting, I currently have them running through my music collection.

I found that my iphone 5 and 320kbps mp3 sounded surprisingly good, foot tappingly so, but limited volume - very different from the main system and full resolution FLAC files.

I suspect you're going to be pleasantly surprised when you get your Objective 2
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back