Intro + My first proper headphones (Beyer Dt 880 vs Fidelio X2HR vs Senn HD 599).
Sep 7, 2020 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mandrake9

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone I am on the market for an open-back headphone to be used at home, without DAC/Amp on my laptop and phone and I need them to play videogames and watch youtube videos and listen to music. I want to upgrade since my actual Sony Playstation headset makes my ears feel uncomfortable after a while and give me headaches but most of all I feel trapped in them (probably a mix of clamping force and warmth on my ears).

This is what I am looking for in my next headphones:

Comfort (this is the most important parameter and I would like to wear them for long sessions without feeling the fatigue or the warmth on my ears).

Soundstage and Imaging (I would like to experience that famous "WOW" factor of the open-back headphones when it comes to sound stage and space feeling).

Sound quality (possibly balanced and warm for all types of usages).

Price around $200

Example of music albums I love to listen
: The dark side of the moon (the Pink Floyd's album) Random Access Memories(Daft punk's album) so I would say rock, vocals, psychedelic etc. I don't listen to hip hop or rap music.

Which headset would you suggest based on my requirements? The ones that I am shortlisting at the moment are the ones mentioned in the title and for esthetic reasons, I would like to stick to them as I feel they are the most pleasant to look at as well.

Let me know your opinion and also if I shall include other headphones in the equation.

Cheers!

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 10
DT880 might need a little more voltage, to sound their best. And smartphones need to limit voltage to the headphone jack, to save on battery power.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 10
The X2HR is fairly comfortable and easy to drive. Not sure about the 599.

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 10
If you want a warm sounding headphone you can safely exclude the Beyer DT880,as well as most other Beyers for that matter. Very strident treble.

The Fidelio X2HR is a good headphone,decent comfort,easy to drive,but its mids arent spectacular. IMO they sound better for modern digitally processed music like pop,hip/hop and electronica than they do for rock music. Theyre very nice for gaming.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 10
IME 599 doesn’t do well without at least a basic DAC/AMP. A laptop or Mac isn’t enough. I recommend the 569/598 CS. Both are fairly balanced, not warm, but close to neutral. And they work fine from a phone.

I would recommend the 58X but then again, they need a proper desktop amp and DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 10
IME 599 doesn’t do well without at least a basic DAC/AMP. A laptop or Mac isn’t enough. I recommend the 569/598 CS. Both are fairly balanced, not warm, but close to neutral. And they work fine from a phone.

I would recommend the 58X but then again, they need a proper desktop amp and DAC.

I don't like the esthetic of those Massivedrops headphones so I won't consider them. Are you sure about the need for an amp for the 599? Everywhere on the internet, they say that is easy to drive... Is 50Ohm tough to drive?

The X2HR is fairly comfortable and easy to drive. Not sure about the 599.

I have read that these X2 are very bass oriented. Is that true? I don't like bass too much in general...

If you want a warm sounding headphone you can safely exclude the Beyer DT880,as well as most other Beyers for that matter. Very strident treble.

The Fidelio X2HR is a good headphone, decent comfort,easy to drive,but its mids arent spectacular. IMO they sound better for modern digitally processed music like pop,hip/hop and electronica than they do for rock music. Theyre very nice for gaming.
ok, thanks. So what are those Beyerdynamic for? I really like them aesthetically...

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 10
ok, thanks. So what are those Beyerdynamic for? I really like them aesthetically...
The 880s are meant for monitoring. Plain,flat,boring+ an extra helping of treble. DT990 has a lot of bass and treble. DT770 is essentially a closed back 990. I had the T1 as well. Same story...treble cannons.

Regarding the X2 having a lot of bass. Yes this is true as well. TBH at your price point I cant think of a headphone that fits your description of not much bass,not bright,wide staging and easy to drive. Perhaps the AKG K701 or 702,but many find them to be bright and you def need an amp too.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 10
I mean, yes, of my current set of headphones the X2HR definitely have more bass than most, but it's not overwhelming, loose, "Beats" style bass.

They also have very good soundstage / separation for their price point.

I don't personally know a better fit for what you're looking for. I'd recommend buying a used set -- if you don't like them you can always sell them on and you're only out shipping costs.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 10
599 sounds dull, lifeless, and low volume out of an iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back