intro, help request
Apr 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bugler

Head-Fier
Hi all,
Long time hifi enthusiast.  Mostly into analog and vintage stuff.  Most have been upgraded/modded.   I first got into reel to reel recording in the late 60's with my first decent deck being a TEAC A-1230 I bought new on February 22, 1972.  It's still up and running today along with an Akai GX-370D, and Revox A77mkIV and Revox B77.  Cassette wise I have a TASCAM 122mkII, Nakamichi CR3A, and Carver TD1700.  Tape deck and processor selector:  Russound TMS-10.   Turntable:  Revox B795 with Grado Gold cartridge.  Preamp is a modded Carver C5 feeding into a modded Phase Linear 400 amp.  CD player is a Pioneer PF-27 Elite "jukebox".  Tuners:  Carver TX-8 and Sangean HDT-1X for FM HD.  Equalizer:  Soundcraftsman RP-2251R, Speakers are McIntosh XD-717 and of course some other miscellaneous items.  In bedroom I have a Sony receiver and CD carousel along with another Sangean HDT-1X tuner.  My wife and I go to sleep with music every night.  
My favorite genres are Classical, Jazz, and Classic Rock (from my high school and college days)!  I have a rather large collection of reel to reel tapes, cassettes and LP's.

I also am a volunteer bugler and Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America.  We provide taps at no charge for Soldiers KIA/veterans and at civic events.  

Hope above isn't too much but instructions said to say something about myself.

I never like listening to headphones much but am sort of forced into it not.  I rarely leave the house due to battling some health issues.  Started battling cancer almost 4 years ago and this forced me to leave an awesome career in engineering to go on disability.  Hence I've been stuck at home but do listen to a lot of music.  My wife was a school teacher and took early retirement at the beginning of this year to be home with me so no more playing music at really awesome volume levels when she's home.  I love listening to a symphony at realistic volume levels.  I have a pair of Koss HV-1's that I bought in the early 70's and a pair of Bose Tri-Port TP-1A.  I'm borrowing my sons Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's and they really are far superior to any of my others.  Currently I can get new Sennheiser HD-360 Pro's for about $44.  Seems like a steal.  I seem to prefer over the ear though I'm also considering Grado.  Suggestions welcome from anyone that actually made it this far down in my rant!

thanks

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 20
Hey, just wanted to say welcome!! You might want to check out this thread as it seems like your flavor:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Given your taste for music and preferences with gear and the fact that you already like the hd-280, my suggestion is to go ahead and splurge and get the one that you'll likely end up with anyway...hd650.

We can talk amps and dacs later. 
wink.gif

best,

Matt

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 20
Welcome, Bugler.

Really enjoyed reading about all your gear.  You've got some terrific stuff and -- as I myself
have become "vintage" -- I often find vintage gear to my liking. I have some fairly 
modern components upstairs, but I often just want to head down into the basement and play
my Altec 14s, Pioneer SX-1010, and Thorens TD-160.  Beautiful music!

But nowadays I spend most of my time listening through headphones.  I listen to all genres,
but I'm most often in "Critical Listener Mode" when listening to Classical.  

If you can swing the price tag, the HD-650's are great, and I really don't doubt that you'd
enjoy them greatly.  I have a pair bought used off of Craigslist to keep the cost down.  I 
run them with a Bottlehead Crack amp (kit), but also with a variety of other amplifiers.

But these are way above the $44 example you mentioned!  In terms of a target price,
what's the most you'd like to spend?

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the responses.  Although I'm sure the HD650 is awesome it's way out of my price range right now.  I have been on disability due to cancer and MS for almost 4 years no so took a major hit in my income.  My wife retired from teaching at the beginning of the year and took a bit of a hit for early retirement.  As I think I said before, she retired to spend more time with me and to care for me.  Most of what I have was either purchased many years ago as new or at least when I was still gainfully employed in more recent years.  The HD-360 PRO just seemed like a decent headphone for little money.  Not sure how they compare to the HD-260 PRO I borrowed from my son.  I also don't really care for on the ear headphones which I believe the HD650 is.  With my wife home and family and friends visiting closed headphones seem to work out well for me.  

@flatmap:  I bought a TD-160 new back in the early 70's while still in high school.  Awesome turntable.  A number of years later I sold it to a good friend (who still has it) with a Shure V15 type II improved in it.  That's when I got my Revox B795 that I still use.

@MattTCG:  Thanks for pointing out the thread.  I'm more into separates, but it still looks like an interesting discussion.  I do have a Marantz 2270 that needs some love.  It works quite well but most of the lights are burnt out and the power switch is broken (common on Marantz receivers).  The same thing happened to my 2325 which I bought new back in the mid 70's but no longer have.

thanks

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 20
The hd650 is around the ear, not on ear. But I certainly understand your budget restraints. We all have them to some degree or another. Sorry to hear about your health concerns. I wish you the very best in your recovery. 

As far as the sticker price on the hd650...sells off a few things so that you can afford it. That's what I do. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for the responses.  Although I'm sure the HD650 is awesome it's way out of my price range right now.

What is your budget?

Also, the for sale forum is a good way to pick up some headphones on a budget: http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 20
One option under $100 are the Creative Aurvana Live!  ($70+) and they have a fairly relaxed sound.
Many people find them comfortable.  The HD-280 Pros are $80-90, but for me these clamped way too
tight against my head.  Of course they isolate very well!

Just haven't heard the HD-360 Pro's... so can't say what they're like.

May 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 20
  I also have a pair of 280 Pros, what about them do you like/dislike including what you like/dislike about their sound signature? And yes, what is your budget? That will help a lot.

The more I listen to them the more I like them.  I would like a bit more of deep bass of a double bass in jazz & orchestral music.  Even though their my son's they got very little use so may not even be broken in.  I love the sound of brass and vocals.  Very clear and crisp.  I did order a pair of HD-360 PROs off Amazon.  I figure for $45 with free shipping I don't have much to lose.  Unfortunately being on disability cut my income in half so i really can't afford HD-650s as have been recommended.
thanks

May 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 20
  One option under $100 are the Creative Aurvana Live!  ($70+) and they have a fairly relaxed sound.
Many people find them comfortable.  The HD-280 Pros are $80-90, but for me these clamped way too
tight against my head.  Of course they isolate very well!

Just haven't heard the HD-360 Pro's... so can't say what they're like.

Thanks for your reply.  The HD-280 Pros are quite comfortable for me.  Hoping the HD-360D Pros I ordered will be equally comfortable.  My son said when I get them he'll take whichever headphone I don't like as much.  He owns the HD-280 Pros I'm using now.  He doesn't use headphones all that much.  He mostly listens with his Carver ALS III+
Thanks

May 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 20
  The more I listen to them the more I like them.  I would like a bit more of deep bass of a double bass in jazz & orchestral music.  Even though their my son's they got very little use so may not even be broken in.  I love the sound of brass and vocals.  Very clear and crisp.  I did order a pair of HD-360 PROs off Amazon.  I figure for $45 with free shipping I don't have much to lose.  Unfortunately being on disability cut my income in half so i really can't afford HD-650s as have been recommended.
thanks

Let us know how the 360s sound. By the way in terms of the headphone world the 280s are extremely laid back in sound sig. Their defining character is that their upper mids are quite recessed, the treble is recessed, the midbass is a little recessed, the mids are slightly woody (not unusual for a closed-back), and the sub-bass is slightly enhanced. That's the real difference from neutral. After hearing the MDR-V6 and currently owning an SRH440 both of which are much closer to neutral through their mids and treble, you should probably stay away from very neutral headphones if you like the 280's sound. You describe it as clear and crisp. Oh man, the treble is very "backgroundy" on these though compared to neutral though. It's very recessed and you lose a lot of detail on the top end with the 280s. They're thicker and woody, but that's perfect for tracking if you're in a studio since loud volumes don't pierce your ears. One unique thing about the 280s is that you can crank them very loudly and no peaks in the mids or treble actually hurt. It just seems like all the frequencies raise at once equally. It's very interesting.

Anyway, just some further thoughts on the 280s from someone who has heard a number of studio headphones now for comparison.

May 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 20
I should be receiving the 360's Monday or Tuesday. I'll give a report comparing them to the 280s as soon as soon as I can. How long should I break in the new ones first?
Thx

May 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 20
I should be receiving the 360's Monday or Tuesday. I'll give a report comparing them to the 280s as soon as soon as I can. How long should I break in the new ones first?
Thx

My advice is to listen to them right out of the box, then leave them running a loud pink noise loop overnight, and see if they change the next day.

May 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 20
Good suggestion about it off the box then breaking in with pink noise. Do I just use low to moderate volume with pink noise?
Thx

May 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 20
Good suggestion about it off the box then breaking in with pink noise. Do I just use low to moderate volume with pink noise?
Thx

I burn in my cans in by blasting pink noise. Okay, not blasting but what I do is crank the volume up to what I would consider loud to very loud and let them sit on it for hours while I'm out of the house or sleeping. It doesn't do any harm, just don't make the volume ridiculous, especially if you have an amp or a home theater receiver. In my experience, the louder the better as long as you aren't distorting or pushing way, way too much volume on them. To break in properly the drivers must move to loosen up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back