Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Aug 22, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #106 of 323
Intona people I am asking on a few threads/ Sites to do a simple.experiment on shielding. 3- 4 wraps of ordinary kitchen aluminium foil around the intona. Just a little around the incoming and outgoing cables just leave no gaps.... A silly experiment cheap and seconds to do...

Post if you hear any changes or nothing at all... if you do what's your DAC. .

http://jplay.eu/ml_post_slider/jcat-usb-isolator/

this popped up and it seems to be the intona internals but with an aluminium extruded shell.
Someone said they heard a difference with shielding... Easy to shield the inside but a 1 minute effort can see if it works with many experienced ears..

Cheers if you try it and let us know...

Keep smiling

Dave:blush:

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #107 of 323
Intona people I am asking on a few threads/ Sites to do a simple.experiment on shielding. 3- 4 wraps of ordinary kitchen aluminium foil around the intona. Just a little around the incoming and outgoing cables just leave no gaps.... A silly experiment cheap and seconds to do...

Post if you hear any changes or nothing at all... if you do what's your DAC. .

http://jplay.eu/ml_post_slider/jcat-usb-isolator/

this popped up and it seems to be the intona internals but with an aluminium extruded shell.
Someone said they heard a difference with shielding... Easy to shield the inside but a 1 minute effort can see if it works with many experienced ears..

Cheers if you try it and let us know...

Keep smiling

It all depends on how much EMF in the environment. If the environment is relatively absent of strong EMF, shielding or no shielding makes little difference.

I place my Intona right next to my ASDL modem. I do find placing the Intona 10cm further away from the modem make it to sound slightly better.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #109 of 323
Asking for a silly experiment and advice is hard on 3 sites....
Me being me .. I will strip the intona case and line it with copper tape make a faraday cage. I can't be sure of a difference as I fixed a ropey consumer unit for my mains supply and that has made a change...So me turning my intona into a baked spud was hard to notice a change. What mm of shielding works and what metals ferrous? for EMI RFI I don't know..
An underlying alteria motive getting more knowledgeable people giving answers but a few people trying kitchen roll does start the ball rolling.
I am not at the point of a tin foil hat
... A few people trying for no money and less time than wrapping sandwichs
is a start on RFI EMI and it gets people thinking. It's a laugh at least.
and maybe some useful answers for all..

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #110 of 323
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=26815
Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Any thoughts or advice welcome been fun some hard facts or advicE on EMC RFI
1 positive result so far.. Most fun I've had in ages...

Keep smiling

Dave

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #112 of 323
I wouldn't know for sure and not getting into the cable debate...
A quick way would be try a cheap small and long of the same brand..is it a difference to your ears? Cheaper than an expensive brand by a margin and you have Printer cables spare..:blush:
This hobby is a pain....but good luck trying brother..

We did find that copper foiling the Intona did make a sonic difference. But hey Ho...An aluminium case is coming and some MU Metal foil so the experiment isn't over....
I ve turned into the cheap.ass version of shield....

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #114 of 323
I think I may sell my white case industrial Intona. I really want to pick up a new black cased industrial Intona from KitsuneHifi.com. Good news is that they have them in stock and are a USA distributor.

If anyone wants to buy a brand new industrial intona let me know. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #117 of 323
I am having a play with shielding for the Intona. People have taken the piss but it seems to be working.
The Jplay is metal black and smaller form factor but more expensive. The other is just black plastic.
The Jplay offers some shielding but I think you can't have the lights on. .

A few of us have tried copper and aluminum. I am getting some MU Metal foil...

Money no object the Jplay looks sweeeet. ..

But the shielding we trying is to improve what you have at little cost...

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #119 of 323
As I said on CA 3 people isn't a fact and shielding is like how loud the party is next door and who is talking verse your wall thickness.
We ain't experts just people trying stuff. I am hearing improved precision and a little more sound stage.

I am using Yosi Horikawa Bubbles as the test track.
So far we used tin foil and copper some have used thicker cast aluminium case for small electrical jobs. I am waiting for mine to be delivered and some MU metal... But this is an experiment and RFI EMI factors will vary and we have no hard testing capability.
No fancy Digital eye diagrams just a bit memory comparison's

Was just a bit of fun with kitchen foil. The intona is just plastic....

Other than a 3 way thumbs up that's it...
I am taking it a bit further for EMI with MU metal. Just different ranges get blocked for RFI and some shaping away from the circuits on EMI.
A bit of advice from the Aerospace electronics engineers in work and a bit of WIKIPEDIA.....

Only real result is a change* ( *What that is to you) Who knows unless you live in your own faraday cage. ..

Try 8-10 layers of foil no gaps on to the beginning of both cables and see if you hear a difference.. Even if you don't like it ..just a cheap silly experiment. ..
Have fun...
Dave☺

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #120 of 323
I have my industrial Intona and all my LPS pretty much wrapped with MuMetal sheets, also use between the DDC and DAC, etc... wherever devices are pretty close together.

I have an economy EMI/RFI meter and the MuMetal blocks EMI well... distance works well also, but sometimes not practical..

Not sure if I hear any difference (I do not have time for detailed testing), but seems cheap enough insurance.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back