Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #256 of 323
Anybody ever have a stubborn USB cable get stuck in the Intona (industrial version)?  Right now it doesn't matter because I don't plan on swapping cables any time soon, but I have a WireWorld Starlight 7 stuck in my Intona (USB B entry side).  I have pulled with moderate force with no sign of budging.  I have been hesitant to give it the full 100% tug.  I read somewhere the connection interface was made to be snug to prevent the cable from being loose, but mine is above and beyond snug.  Could be the fault of either the cable or box.  Just looked at some online pics of the inside of the Intona.  Guess there is not much I can really break by pulling.  Agree?

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #257 of 323
I had the same issue at first. once the intona warms up you should find the cable comes out with little sidewards movements. when you put the usb in you will hear a click sound to confirm its attached that's normal.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #259 of 323
My intona industrial is working fine. i have a WD external hard drive attached to my imac and when the imac is in sleep the HD continues to operate quietly in the background and the intona's light flickers occasionally indicating it is in standby. intona have told me this is normal. when i wake the imac i get a string of messages saying the harddrive was not ejected properly. this does not happen when i switch the computer off and on again. there is no harm being done as the hard drive and intona are working as intended. i have the mac and HD plugged into a mains conditioner/master slave surge socket with the imac as master. ie the othe devices only operate when the imac is on. not really a problem but can someone explain why the HD is behaving like this? many thanks

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #262 of 323
Ok, I just joined the Intona club. I am very happy with the Industrial Intona's performance. So far I hear instruments and voices emerging from a blacker background with a much better soundstage. Not just more accurate placement, but my God I can get up and walk among the performers! The soundstage is unreal. Also, the separation has taken a major leap forward, as well as air around all afore mentioned voices and instruments. The tonality and texture have all improved as well. I am very happy with the Intona, and now I am considering getting the UltraCap LPS-1 for my Uptone Regen. Where does it ever end? I do not regret this purchase one bit. If interested, you can see my chain on my profile page. 

I have the order as: Computer -> Intona -> Regen -> DAC.
Is this the order everybody who has the Regen concurs is optimal?
Also, anyone with experience with the UltraCap LPS?

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #264 of 323
  Ok, I just joined the Intona club. I am very happy with the Industrial Intona's performance. So far I hear instruments and voices emerging from a blacker background with a much better soundstage. Not just more accurate placement, but my God I can get up and walk among the performers! The soundstage is unreal. Also, the separation has taken a major leap forward, as well as air around all afore mentioned voices and instruments. The tonality and texture have all improved as well. I am very happy with the Intona, and now I am considering getting the UltraCap LPS-1 for my Uptone Regen. Where does it ever end? I do not regret this purchase one bit. If interested, you can see my chain on my profile page. 

IMO, you have the correct idea... computer USB -> isolate -> reclock/clean power/etc.->DAC or DDC
I use computer/USB card/LPS->Intona->Recovery/LPS1->DDC
Technically, it should be a great benefit to have isolated power (like the LPS1 or a battery pack) to power the Regen after the Intona to maintain the Intona GI, but the real audible benefit (if any) will depend on your current power source for the Regen.
(Note maybe the Intona would benefit from cleaner power also, such as a powered USB card or 5v inserted before the Intona.)

One extra nice thing about the LPS1 is its flexibility, I think that makes it a good investment to consider and should help hold its resale value.... but it is expensive, so maybe good to check with Uptone if there is an evaluation period available.

In my case,  I made too many changes at the same time to evaluate the LPS1 benefit directly, but it certainly is at least as good as the power chain I had used before (Audio GD HE-350 220v regenerator->upgraded 2.5A TeraDak LPS->iFi DC iPurifier... total cost over 2000 USD...)

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #265 of 323
In my case,  I made too many changes at the same time to evaluate the LPS1 benefit directly, but it certainly is at least as good as the power chain I had used before (Audio GD HE-350 220v regenerator->upgraded 2.5A TeraDak LPS->iFi DC iPurifier... total cost over 2000 USD...)

Do you still have the HE-350, Teradak, or DC iPurifier? They're all things I'm interested in, along with the LPS-1, and it'd be interesting to hear how you're using them in your chain.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #266 of 323
Do you still have the HE-350, Teradak, or DC iPurifier? They're all things I'm interested in, along with the LPS-1, and it'd be interesting to hear how you're using them in your chain.

Hi Ben, I now use the HE-350 for the Tanly DDC, the Audio-GD NOS7 DAC and the Audio GD M1 preamp.
(The best way to describe the effect of the HE-350 is that, after installing it, I no longer felt the need to wait until 2:00 AM to have my best listening sessions. It really helped solidify my system's sound signature... it seems to provide a stable, dark, clean base for these 3 source-related  machines)
The Uptone LPS-1 is powering a W4S Recovery which is in-between an Industrial Intona and the Tanly. So that allows me to keep the GI from the Intona, and still get the full benefit of the Recovery superior re-clocking.
I am using a 1.8m PPA dual USB cable from the computer (which has a PPA v2 USB card, powered by a Teradak DC-30 LPS with an iFi-DC iPurifier) to the Intona, then a short PPA cable to the Recovery then another short PPA cable to the Tanly DDC.

I have bought a lot of Teradak LPS units, but I think the one I mentioned above (which was used prior for the Recovery) had these upgraded parts:
Talema toroidal transformer 30VA
FURUTECH gold coated ICE socket:
Mundorf ripple caps:
gold coated socket + OYAIDE 5.5*2.1/2.5 DC connector:
Neotech OCC wires:
723 based PSU unit
(I really do not know much about this, but my observations using this one is the sound is improved over the standard LPS.)

For the iFi DC iPurifier, my observations is that it gives a Teradak standard DC-30 more of a quieter, battery-type sound , but without the mushy bass I found with some of my past battery solutions.
(I have an extra DC-iPurifier here now, if you like to give it a try send me a PM and I will send it to you after the CNY festivities clear up...)

My current Intona was delivered June 2016 - it has functioned rock-solid from day one...
I also had one of the first batch Standard Intonas' which was a bit more hesitant with locking up to the USB feed.. but this recent one has never faulted with my gear.. less than a second after power is supplied to the downstream device (in my case the Recovery) I get an instant lock on the Intona.  

I also have a Uptone Regen, which has a different presentation than the Recovery.. and will try the Regen again soon in place of the Recovery to re-check which has the better fit (The Regen seems to be more dynamic, the Recovery a little more laid-back in my system) .

The equipment in my profile is up to date if you like to check the details of the computer.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #267 of 323

IMO, you have the correct idea... computer USB -> isolate -> reclock/clean power/etc.->DAC or DDC
I use computer/USB card/LPS->Intona->Recovery/LPS1->DDC
Technically, it should be a great benefit to have isolated power (like the LPS1 or a battery pack) to power the Regen after the Intona to maintain the Intona GI, but the real audible benefit (if any) will depend on your current power source for the Regen.
(Note maybe the Intona would benefit from cleaner power also, such as a powered USB card or 5v inserted before the Intona.)

One extra nice thing about the LPS1 is its flexibility, I think that makes it a good investment to consider and should help hold its resale value.... but it is expensive, so maybe good to check with Uptone if there is an evaluation period available.

Thanks.
The LPS-1 may be my next purchase and like you said with it's flexibility, it could maybe power some other stuff I use as well. I have wondered about the GI the Intona does, and then having it followed by the Regen which is not GI'd until the LPS-1 is placed in the chain, if I understand it correctly.

However, I am seriously considering getting the upgrade kit for my PS Audio PerfectWave to the DirectStream but that is a significant bite out of my upgrade budget and I will have to save up for that. I have read that it is a big improvement.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #268 of 323
im thinking of upgrading to metrum musette dac. ive been told its usb is already galvanically isolated. i have a intona so would there be any drawbacks to using it with this dac? thanks. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #269 of 323
  im thinking of upgrading to metrum musette dac. ive been told its usb is already galvanically isolated. i have a intona so would there be any drawbacks to using it with this dac? thanks. 

should be no drawbacks -- of course you'd have to listen to see if there is a benefit.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #270 of 323
Originally Posted by Blueshound24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a Regen after Intona but it took the details away from my system. It didn't matter whether the Regen is before or after Intona. Some are getting good results with it but not in my setup. I am thinking it because the Intona needs short cable going into the DAC so they use the power from the supply going into the Regen.

Intona doesn't add to the data coming in. It just isolates the signal and power then regenerate it just like what Regen does it and more and does it better.  If you can get an LPS going into the computer, that is the better set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back