Intime SORA: Giant killer IEMs from Japan?
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #887 of 1,071
Old news, but this Sora Light midrange is just sublime. For a lack of better word, it sounds so "right" yet so not boring. The best part of it is that, with the vent mod, there is nothing that distracts me from this beautiful midrange, allowing for a louder volume. I use the filters that came with my Final Make4; they are sold by Final separately.

graph (29).png

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #888 of 1,071
Old news, but this Sora Light midrange is just sublime. For a lack of better word, it sounds so "right" yet so not boring. The best part of it is that, with the vent mod, there is nothing that distracts me from this beautiful midrange, allowing for a louder volume. I use the filters that came with my Final Make4; they are sold by Final separately.

graph (29).png

How is the mod? Can you explain? Thanks in advance

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #889 of 1,071
Covering the back vent with filters of various density. Denser = less bass, Taped-up = min bass, stock = max bass.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #890 of 1,071
Covering the back vent with filters of various density. Denser = less bass, Taped-up = min bass, stock = max bass.

Can you provide some pics please?

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #891 of 1,071
Does anyone also experience a lot of driver flex on their pair of Sora Light 2019s? If so, is there a simple fix that involves ear tips and not opening up the shells? Love the overall sound but the flexing/crinkling adversely affects my enjoyment. I don’t have this issue with the Sora 2, which I assume is due to the presence of holes on the shells. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #892 of 1,071
Does anyone also experience a lot of driver flex on their pair of Sora Light 2019s? If so, is there a simple fix that involves ear tips and not opening up the shells? Love the overall sound but the flexing/crinkling adversely affects my enjoyment. I don’t have this issue with the Sora 2, which I assume is due to the presence of holes on the shells. Thanks.

Yeah, all the various Intime eaphones I've used suffer from driver flex. It's my one nitpick of the design, particularly how loud it is. The best way to prevent it is to keep the eartip from creating a full airtight seal. This can be accomplished using a smaller sized eartip or switching to foams. Sadly, doing anything like that will come at the cost of sound quality. When I did that the bass became anemic.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #893 of 1,071
Yeah, all the various Intime eaphones I've used suffer from driver flex. It's my one nitpick of the design, particularly how loud it is. The best way to prevent it is to keep the eartip from creating a full airtight seal. This can be accomplished using a smaller sized eartip or switching to foams. Sadly, doing anything like that will come at the cost of sound quality. When I did that the bass became anemic.
The cracking/crackling is piercing. But yeah, you’re right though, I find that there has to be a break in the seal; creating an airtight seal attenuates and muffles the sound.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #894 of 1,071
The cracking/crackling is piercing. But yeah, you’re right though, I find that there has to be a break in the seal; creating an airtight seal attenuates and muffles the sound.

As much as I like the sound, it's those sorts of nitpicks and the compromises I need to make that keeps me from reaching for them frequently.

Having said that. Owning some driver flex prone earphones is great for testing eartip sizes and tailoring the best combination for other earphones that are properly vented and driver flex free. If it clicks, it fits!

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #895 of 1,071
Can you provide some pics please?

This is what I mean by taping the back vent.

Photo Feb 07 2023, 1 06 45 PM.jpg

This is their FR from my ghetto measurement rig, applying Final's F10 filter (the densest filter intended for Make4's front vent) and F1 filter (the least dense filter intended for Make4's front vent.) The plot is not volume-normalized. The rest of the the F filters (F2~F9) will result in some where between the green and the yellow curve. To my ears, anywhere between F1 and F5 sounds pretty good, depending on the mood.

Photo Feb 07 2023, 1 24 28 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #896 of 1,071
Just want to clarify this mod. The graph shared above is my Sora light modded.
The vent mod used here is when you create a vent under the tip. It basically creates a leak and reduces bass.
It's pretty cool but the problem is that I had channel imbalance because you can't make it exactly the same on both sides.

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_041825694.jpg
    PXL_20211123_041825694.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • graph (15) (30).png
    graph (15) (30).png
    281.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #897 of 1,071
The vent mod used here is when you create a vent under the tip. It basically creates a leak and reduces bass.
It's pretty cool but the problem is that I had channel imbalance because you can't make it exactly the same on both sides.

Thank you for explain and clarify this, its similar to puncture a hole on the neck of eartips trick, when you use same needle the result is quite consistent.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #898 of 1,071
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea the mod was intended to create a front vent, or that the graphed Sora belongs to you! I just tried creating a front vent like you did. I find that I don't quite like the feeling of not getting a seal. I also had trouble creating a front vent using my favorite Whirlwind eartips, as they are quite rigid.

For reference, Final's Make4 documentation has some nice plots of the effect of front vent and back vent mod:

Back vent
Screenshot 2023-02-12 19.46.58.png

Front vent
Screenshot 2023-02-12 19.48.35.png

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #899 of 1,071
I have the Sora. Yes it is dirt cheap and yes it sounds rather phenomenal, sharing my eartime with the almighty 64 U18 and my long-serving MH335DWSR lately. Very balanced and coherent with outrageous highs extension that's also smooth without too many peaks, kinda polite in the bass with average extension down low. Resolution in the level of mid-tier iems.

Giant killer is a term I don't like, and price is not a standard I'd like to use to judge things. I think no one would be disappointed with its SQ regardless of price. Taking in consideration also the techniques employed and the price of products with similar designs (but of lower performance level) as well as its pure Japanese heritage (only assembly is done in China) it would be a steal even at 5 to 6 times its price.
Love this comment!

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #900 of 1,071
Hey all. So I have the Sho DD and has paired it with a OCC+SPC hybrid cable. The sound is brilliant. Big Bold Bass, clear mids, smooth and clear treble.

However, in times I am craving for some more treble crispness. Will the Intime Miyabi satisfy that craving? There is a MIyabi Mk.II coming also this year, so might get that.

@zenki the Sho DD sounds cleaner than 9iNE, with slightly better instrument separation and body. Stage feels to be slightly bigger too. But the treble extension is better on 9iNE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back