Interruptions
Jan 10, 2003 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SBomm

500+ Head-Fier
I work mostly alone at night, only 8 other people in the whole machine shop and I work in room by myself. I can be all by myself for hours before I decide to listen to some music but as soon as I put in my Etys everyone in the place has something to say to me. Worst of all it's usually just, "What's up?"
Any one else have this kind of problem?

Jan 10, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 24
usually happens at home, i could sit there for hours scratching my ass and the second i get the urge to whip out my Sennheisers and listen to some vinyl (which is located in the living room) everyone has to start calling on the phone, ringing the bell and the whole family decides its time to come home and watch tv...sometimes i flip out out and curse everyone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 24
YES, yes this does happen to me. Which is why I like to listen in the night when no one will bug me. I can have a whole bunch of time all to myself and not feel like listening to music, but as soon as I get the urge...someone wants me to do something, we have to go somewhere, or whatever. I've gotten to chill and listen to a lot music today so I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif
But some days it can get pretty frustrating, trying to squeeze in time for undisturbed, private listening...

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
Any one else have this kind of problem?

You're obviously single.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
Actually no. But I don't even bother trying to listen to music at home.

Good idea. My wife loves music, but hates it when I pop on the cans when she's awake. At least I have some Klipsch 4.1s waiting for me in Ecuador so I can listem to them in the background and still talk to her when she's around.

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 24
I get this, but not just with headphones - anything that takes my attention.

I'll be sitting around, staring off into space or scratching my ass (a common hobby it seems) for ages, but the second I decide to do something it's "attention time" according to my better half and she'll do everything she possibly can to get my attention - scratch my head, flash me, stick her tongue in my ear, it never ends.
If I put headphones on, it's random comment time... nothing important, just "look at this" and "where are my socks" etc, so I'm going "what?" *pause music* "over there" *play* "what?" *pause* "yes" *play*
etc

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco:
i could sit there for hours scratching my ass and the second i get the urge to whip out my Sennheisers

Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin:
I'll be sitting around, staring off into space or scratching my ass (a common hobby it seems)

Note to self: Do not lend the Senns to gloco or Snufkin.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 24
I too have this problem. It seems as if whenever I try to listen to music in the afternoon, my entire family needs me. Then, I get yelled at for not being able to hear from the bottom of the house, through my door, and through my senns.

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 24
This is one of my big pet-peeves, as well. I HATE being interrupted when I'm listening to music, so of course I'm mostly left alone until I start listening to music. Or, maybe more annoying, my roommate and/or his girlfriend won't bother me personally, but will decide that, since they go to bed earlier than me, it's time to have both the dishwasher and laundry machine going right before they go to bed, and both those machines happen to be right next to my room.
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 24
this seems like its just a law of nature.
whenever im listening to anything really good, the phone rings or a coworker comes by. and mostly, its when i have my etys on, almost never with my Beyers...

same thing happens at home. im never allowed to have my Grados on for more than 10 mins, roommates or phone calls always interupt.

at least when im listening to my speakers, i can drown everyone out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

nice catch jon. i never touch my cans without a fresh pair of latex surgical gloves, esp those RS-1s...
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 24
last night commuting home, as i walked through westlake center downtown seattle wearing my ety's, a kid walked up to me and said something. i pull one plug out and said, "what?"
kid: "do you like hip-hop music?"
me: *pause* "NO!" *puts ety back in and walks on enjoying stereolab*

later that night i was at another bus stop in queen anne, and an old guy on the bench next to me says something. i take out the ety again.
me: "what?"
old guy: "whatchoo listening to? the radio?"
me: "uh, no minidisc."
old guy: "oooooh."
me: "you know i can't hear a thing with these in, right?" *holds up ety*
old guy: "i know."

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 24
Same problem at work except at specific times of the day and during the end of the month billing cycle.

At home it is usually a book thing. For some reason people take headphones to mean "Hey, I'm not busy" instead of "Do Not Disturb". Do wives only think of music as background noise?

At work the phone is a mixed bag. Outside calls ring, but internal calls just autoanswer on the speaker phones. As long as I am really working, I let my voicemail get the outside calls (95% sales people). At home I don't get the phone at all because if it isn't a telemarketer, it is probably for my wife and the answering machine takes better messages then I do.

Jan 11, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 24
Me too.
I can set on the train for an hour or more and the engineer doesn't utter a word. I pull out the pcdp, amp, Ety's and get everything in position then he wants to talk. Sometimes I can get all set up and be listening before the guy wants to chit chat about nothing. And it never fails that one minute in to my favorite song something happens that needs my full attention.

One nice thing about where I work though, I can leave my Ety's in, all I gotta do is turn down the music to hear the engineer talking. The noise level in a locomotive is fairly high, so we talk rather loudly anyway.

Jan 11, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck

Do wives only think of music as background noise?

Not this wife. Music is ... well, music just is.

It's sad how little my family knows me (considering I'm an only child), my parents have no clue how important music is to me. Without knowing that, I may as well be a stranger to them for all they know.

So I know how ya feel. Have you tried talking to your wife and telling how important music is to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back