internal pics of KGSS
Oct 3, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Perhaps not gunpowder, just some overinflated egos mixed with an obsession
wink.gif

Thats very very head-fish i guess.....

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #63 of 81
Nods. The ES-1 might be the best thing since the last best thing but at its asking price it won't be seeing time in my rig
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #64 of 81
I agree that ES-1's internals look great. I've also seen the insides of a recently built maxed out, P2P SDS-XLR; it also looked great.

I have to admit I was made wary of Singlepower amps at the time of the whole amp wars mess. Hearing the prototype SDS amps made me permanently put away any concerns - the sound is magic, and that's what matters most to me.

I've had at least a couple PCB-based Solid State amps fail in various ways while under my watch. The SDS (both mine and Purk's) and even the tubes in it have performed flawlessly for a full year - much more use than these SS amps had at the time of failure. I have no worries that I'll even need to do more than change tubes on my SDS.

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I agree that ES-1's internals look great. I've also seen the insides of a recently built maxed out, P2P SDS-XLR; it also looked great.

I have to admit I was made wary of Singlepower amps at the time of the whole amp wars mess. Hearing the prototype SDS amps made me permanently put away any concerns - the sound is magic, and that's what matters most to me.

I've had at least a couple PCB-based Solid State amps fail in various ways while under my watch. The SDS (both mine and Purk's) and even the tubes in it have performed flawlessly for a full year - much more use than these SS amps had at the time of failure. I have no worries that I'll even need to do more than change tubes on my SDS.

The ES-1 looks very good to me. I also thought the P2P in the SDS-XLR was better than most the work I've seen out there. The SDS Purk got from me had a stretch of over 10 months without being turned off, and probably 4-5 hours a day of that was listening time. Also hundreds more hours over the 1 1/2 years I owned it. THOUSANDS OF HOURS. It still has three plus years left on the warranty.
The insides are not as pretty as the ES-1. The beauty of really nice P2P like the ES-1 will always be more attractive than the look of boards to my eyes.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
ok, i will edit it.

it is terrible manners to edit your OP 3 pages into the thread.

the wiring and layout in the es1 is actually quite nice. i would personally go for the "foofy" audiophile parts, but it is very true that well selected parts of lower grade can sound better. fortunately i will probably never be in a position to own a es1 built to my spec.

i am going to ptp a certain amp that used to be made in dunnelon NJ and see hwo that goes... maybe my ptp attempts wont need "the left chanel mod." i sure hope they dont.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #69 of 81
whoa. i guess that answers that
eek.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Just the general attitude of the responses to the original question proves some members have a problem taking even perceived criticism of their favorite manufacturer.

Yeah... like in that Grado thread...
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #74 of 81
Here are two examples of the finest point to point tube wiring
you will ever see.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/tek3.jpg
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/tek4.jpg

Ceramic mounting strips with silver inserts.

I'm absolutely sure mikhail would build one this way if you want him to.
Everything with Ceramic mounting strips and silver bearing solder.
Silver foil/teflon caps replacing the orange drops. All Silver in teflon
wire. Completely non-inductive wire wound plate resistors. All wires
bundled and tied down military style. The works...

You may not like the additional price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back