Interference even with an external USB DAC
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

astro

100+ Head-Fier
I have crazy amounts of interference on my desktop and one of my laptops(HP Envy Beats audio edition that's been advertised to have lowered grounding noise), so I bought a USB DAC, specifically the iBasso D2+ BOA. I get the same interference via USB.

I have another laptop that doesn't have this interference issue, and I don't get it with the iBasso either on that laptop.

I'm thinking it's possibly a line in or CD analog in volume that I need to mute. This has happened to me before and once I muted that, the noise went away. But Windows 7 sometimes doesn't give the option in the volume mixer/properties to mute that.

Any idea how to fix this interference issue?

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Don't know if it was "interference" but I was getting clicks and some stuttering with my Musical  Fidelity M1 A DAC when used with usb and it nearly drove me nuts.  I came across this webpage -   http://www.raylau.com/MusicalFidelity-M1A-DAC-USB-Audio-Pops.html  .  Buying a V-Link 192 and connecting it to my DAC over AES seems to have solved my problem - no clicks for a few weeks now.  Your problem may be something quite different but I offer my experience for what it's worth.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I have crazy amounts of interference on my desktop and one of my laptops(HP Envy Beats audio edition that's been advertised to have lowered grounding noise), so I bought a USB DAC, specifically the iBasso D2+ BOA. I get the same interference via USB.

I have another laptop that doesn't have this interference issue, and I don't get it with the iBasso either on that laptop.

I'm thinking it's possibly a line in or CD analog in volume that I need to mute. This has happened to me before and once I muted that, the noise went away. But Windows 7 sometimes doesn't give the option in the volume mixer/properties to mute that.

Any idea how to fix this interference issue?

For windows 7 you need to go into the properties of each recording device separately and go to the "Listen" tab to check that "Listen to this device" is unchecked.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 9
That's a helluva journey you went through to solve that!

$200 sounds quite steep to trying to solve this issue. I think I'd try getting a new motherboard before trying that.

Thanks for your input

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
That's a helluva journey you went through to solve that!

$200 sounds quite steep to trying to solve this issue. I think I'd try getting a new motherboard before trying that.

Thanks for your input

It was a bargain as far as I was concerned. There was no reason to think a new motherboard would sort out the problem (which would have been the same sort of cost). Raymond Lau was spot on and his advice saved me a lot of aggravation.  I am very happy with the sound I have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back