Interesting way to clean vinyl
Mar 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 17
I wonder what would happen if you tried to play the glue record!
L3000.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Your cartridge would develop a very sticky/sweet sound, I think.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 17
That's new to me. The length people will go to avoid breaking down and getting a RCM never ceases to amazes me.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious to see how many records get ruined by glue that bonds to vinyl.
biggrin.gif

The glue they're specifying is a Poly-Vinyl Acetate, aka PVA. It does not bond to vinyl. That's why this trick works.

And yeah, there are vinyl cleaning systems that are faster, but i've seen this method clean records that didn't come clean by other methods.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Titebond II? I have a Pioneer DD with no arm that I can use, so I'm going to try it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's new. I guess it is a good way to clean as long the glue doesn't ruin the vinyl.
wink.gif

Actually I think i first saw this mentioned in the AudioKarma forums about 7 years ago, as a link to a thread on one of the german hi-fi forums.

I've never done it - I own like seven vinyl records and they are all clean - but i hear that the trick is to lay the PVA on Just Right. Too thin and you won't be able to peel it off in one piece (it will tear and leave traces of glue where it was too thin, and you'll have to start over), too thick and it will take forever to cure and you might have to take it off in chunks.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 17
This method does work but it takes a long, long time.

I still prefer to use a RCM. The real trick is in what solution you use and how strong it is. The next big trick is to actually let the solution rest on top of the LP for a good 2 - 5 minutes to allow it to penetrate and break up that grime. Two passes later and even the dirtiest LP will look new again. Provided the record has no groove wear - it will sound good as new as well.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 17
20 hours to dry. So if I want to listen to four of five records over the weekend, it'll take me four days.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 17
Does not look right on first glimpse. But with some more thought it makes sense.
As long as you use a glue that does not stick too hard to vinyl that is.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back