Interesting take on the possibility of Vinyl making a comeback.
Nov 2, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if I could have a room full turntables and vinyl and have a dozen or so monkeys (or hamsters) linked to a computer networked to my other ones, and have Foobar control them. So basically a Flintstones jukebox networked to my computer.

-Ed

I want one of those too! Until then, I'm sticking with my gigs of lossless (FLAC/APE) files being routed bit-perfect to my DAC. The convenience of this setup cannot be understated (for a lazy guy like me, anyway
tongue.gif
).

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #32 of 35
However, there is revived interest in DVD-A because of these things: there are a lot of DVD players out there that can already decode DVD-A discs, and most modern computers built since 2002 with DVD burner drives can play back DVD-A discs if you have the right sound card and decoding software in the computer (current versions of PowerDVD and WinDVD can decode DVD-A discs).

Besides, at true 176.4 or 192 kHz sampling rates, the sound quality is VASTLY superior to conventional CD's, especially in reproducing the sound of instruments with lots of treble energy like flutes, cymbals, and the high notes on a piano. And unlike vinyl LP's, you don't lose the high frequency sound after several plays.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #33 of 35
I talked with my friend about this some time ago. He has a studio on the north side and it runs almost 24/7. We came to the conclusion that there will be three types of music to buy out there in the future. downloads, vinyl and something like a sd card with songs in .wav format.

the sd card is going to knock out the cd's cause you can store tons of info on these, they are cheap to make, most everything has a sd card reader in it, and of course the stores will always need some hard physical item to sell. the downloads will always be sold in this age and probably threw my grand kids age.
but Vinyl will always be on the market, the dj's and audiophiles will keep Vinyl alive but lately he said more and more bands are requesting vinyl to be done for them also. he thinks vinyl may make it back into most music stores some day..

and btw he hates vinyl, but what he hears in the studio from his clients are enough proof for him to think it...

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #34 of 35
Hey I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for the Vinyl lovers of the world, but I think there may be some problems on the horizon.
The problem is that Vinyl is made from PVC and there has been some major shifts in the use of it due to VOCs (volatile organic compounds), the hazardous chemicals required to make PVC, toxic gases caused by the melting of PVC and the difficulty in recycling and non-biodegradability of it.

Now before people get out the torches and pitch forks, please keep in mind that I am not anti-vinyl at all AND that CDs also have their environmental and health issues. I just wonder if there may be some serious movements (similar to what happened to asbestos) to change the production of records to either a new material or maybe even stopping production all together. The next question is do you want your records to be biodegradable and what will the new material be like regards sound quality?

Something to ponder.....

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #35 of 35
Vinyl sucks. My dream would be to be able to buy prerecorded 1/4" analog tapes at 15ips of my favorite records.

However duplication would cost a lot and tape is not cheap. Do you think there's enough audiophile ready to spend $100 to $200 or more for one album on tape?

And there's not enough tape machines owned by audiophiles or in the used marked to make it a viable business...too bad.

Just thinking out loud about my next occupation.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back