Interesting take on the possibility of Vinyl making a comeback.
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 35
CDS WILL NOT GO WITHOUT A PHIGHT!!
CDfanboys.jpg

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 35
I'm pretty sure i read almost the exact same article 10 years ago.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 35
I read this article and throughouth I kept nodding my head in agreement.

So many indie lables that I enjoy, have a nice code to allow me a one-time-use downloading of the album at 192 and sometimes FLAC "free" with the purchase of the LP. This works for me perfectly as I get to have the album on my DAP, get the vinyl I so love and heck if I REALLY want to, I can burn a CD (particularly if it is FLAC). I get to have the music completely at my fingertips however I want it whenever I want it.

As an "anti-theft-device" vinyl is the best format, even though technically it would not be protecting theft, but copyright infringement...but regardless, with the legitimate coupon for a legitimate download...everyone would be happy!

Still, I doubt many want to go back to vinyl. It's big, bulky, heavy and cumbersome. It does sound awesome though so if more bands are willing to go that route, I'm in for sure.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 35
In 2043 my grandchildren will be all-a-tither about a new music format. It will be smaller than vinyl, its "laser" will not damage the medium like a needle, and it will be able to skip between cuts with the press of a button.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

This is nonsense. The sound, which these days is almost always recorded digitally, are subjected to compression before it is pressed onto a carrying medium. Whether the medium is CD or vinyl makes no difference.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is nonsense. The sound, which these days is almost always recorded digitally, are subjected to compression before it is pressed onto a carrying medium. Whether the medium is CD or vinyl makes no difference.

Just more evidence that the author has no flippin idea what he's talking about.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 35
It's pretty hard to extrapolate anything from the 'stats' put forth in that article. Maybe there's a global "trend", maybe not. In 2000, there were between 100,000 and 130,000 records listed on eBay at any given time. Today that number is consistently over 150,000. If I had to bet, I'd wager that the increase is largely coming from Asian markets, especially China (lately).

There's no shortage of vinyl if you're into it -- unless you want current classical releases, then forget it. If you want to tell me that Wal*Mart is gonna drop CD's and stock vinyl, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back