Interesting music?
Jun 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

boxthorn

Head-Fier
Can someone recommend some interesting music?

It doesn't have to sound good, something that will make you tilt your head and say Huh, that's a little different.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
Can someone recommend some interesting music?

It doesn't have to sound good, something that will make you tilt your head and say Huh, that's a little different.

Have a look at the best female vocals and the what are you listening to now threads.  Google some of the albums / artists, and then have a listen on youtube.  That's where I get a lot of my music tips from now.  The diversity is fantastic!  there are also threads here for electronic, metal, and a lot of other genres.

I usually check out at lest 3-4 new music posts each day.  A lot I really don't like but the hit rate on the good stuff has been surprisingly high.

While the humble gear I listen with now has definitely increased in price and quality - my music collection has grown by about 5-600% in 6 months.  My bank account is suffering because of it - but I've happily spent far more on music than gear in my time here.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 22
I mean music that is so different that it defies normal music, for example

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 22
Try Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. Also his Rite of Spring - did you know it caused a riot about a century ago? Worth looking up. :)

Also, anything by Sun Ra. Eric Dolphy, too. Try "Out to Lunch." Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" is a classic, but my sentimental favorite of his is "Lick My Decals Off, Baby." Get familiar with the Residents. Their "Commercial Album" is fairly accessible and a good introduction.

Not quite as far out is Ali Farka Toure. His fusion of Delta blues and Malinese music is familiar and exotic at the same time. A great intro to world music.

Also accessible is Olivia Tremor Control's "Dusk at Cubist Castle." You'll hear their psychedelic roots from the Beatles and Beach Boys before it descends into art noise and experimentation, only to come back darker and stronger. Likewise, their "Black Foliage," which isn't as accessible. You need "Cubist Castle" to unlock it before you can explore how it treads the line between music and noise.

Speaking of the intersection between music and noise, Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" does the same. It has a lot of mainstream appeal, but you'll absolutely find experimentation.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 22
I think I like all of those you recommended, especially Olivia Tremor Control. Ali Farka Toure seems so interesting!
As an 18 year old it's quite hard to find good music when most are listening to what ever clear channel's **** out on the radio.
Thank you so much.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 22
I have some really eclectic tastes in music, here are some examples of my collection:
of the Wand and the Moon -neofolk
Death in June -neofolk
Merzbow -noise
Electric Wizard -doom/stoner metal
Chrome Division -rock
Earth -drone
Sunn O))) -drone
Master Musicians of Bukkake -psychadeclic folk
Alestorm -pirate metal
Korpiklaani -folk metal
Ulver -doesn't fit any genre/every album is different

Let me know if you want more, I got plenty where thats from.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 22

9 Beet Stretch is Beethoven's 9th symphony slowed to play over 24 hours, and pitch corrected back to normal.
There is an iphone and ipod touch app that will stream it along with some other long experimental pieces and it's free.

An interesting artists from the past that I think didn't get much attention outside of certain circles is Arthur Russell.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Speaking of the intersection between music and noise, Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" does the same. It has a lot of mainstream appeal, but you'll absolutely find experimentation.

This is an absolutely wonderful album.  I bought it because of the sonic treatment by Jim O'Rouke and it exceeded my expectations.  Another out-of-the way O'Rouke project is the album Kekeland by Brigitte Fontaine -- it is as quirky and rewarding as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back